Frame size?

time killer

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, lurker here...
I am in market for a new pack. 95% sure it will be a Kifaru. I see lots of people here seem to love them. I am wondering about frame size. I am 5'9", 180. Regular to muscular build. I was told that a 26 is good for maximum weight, but is that thing going to overpower my little arse?
Would love some feedback from folks with both the 24 and 26...

Akicita

WKR
I highly recommend that you have someone measure you between the C-7 of your spine and your belt worn on the pants you most likely would use. When you have that measurement call Kifaru and they will help you determine the best for your height, weight and torso length. . . My guess would be a 24. . .

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
I called and talked to Aron and he had me order the 24 with my measurements but is best and let them decide what will work best for you. For reference i am 6' 170 ish and have a 21" torso. 31 " waist

wyodan

WKR
I'm about 6'0" and 175 lbs, 30" waist. I have tried both the 24" and 26" frames, and I definitely prefer the 24" frame. I have had over 100 lbs in it, that was 85 lbs of elk weighed at the butcher with my 35 lbs of gear that I basically carry everyday. I have plenty of lift, and I really disliked the extra couple of inches of frame that would hit me in the back of the head with the taller frame.

ljalberta

WKR
I'm 5'9", shorter torso. I could easily get away with the 24" frame, but went with the 26". The extra height doesn't bother me, and it's nice if I lend it to a taller friend. If you're concerned about resale it helps as well.

JigStick

WKR
Does anyone know if you can order the duplex frames in highlander camo? I see highlander frames on the kifaru webpage when looking at certain packs. But when I go to the hunter frame page to place an order it only gives me options for typhoon, coyote, black, and ranger green. Wtf. I want to order a highlander Nomad, camp bag, lid, and beaver tail with a matching highlander frame.

Does anyone know if you can order the duplex frames in highlander camo? I see highlander frames on the kifaru webpage when looking at certain packs. But when I go to the hunter frame page to place an order it only gives me options for typhoon, coyote, black, and ranger green. Wtf. I want to order a highlander Nomad, camp bag, lid, and beaver tail with a matching highlander frame.

The older frames (Bikini and Duplex) were available in highlander, but to help keep the costs down the latest generation frames (hunter, tactical, ultralight) are only available in solid color belts/straps with a black(hunt/UL) or tan(tac) panel.

JigStick

WKR
Well that sucks. I can't choke down the price of this pack if it's going to look like a rainbow of colors. Back to the drawing board I guess

Well that sucks. I can't choke down the price of this pack if it's going to look like a rainbow of colors. Back to the drawing board I guess

Just get a tactical frame in coyote brown and everything will be brown; just that some will have black snakeskin pattern on it and some won't. If it's that important to you, you can find the previous gen in multicam or highlander with a simple WTB post. While the color options may not be 100% what you think you wanted; making a choice not to go with a pack because of color instead of comfort is curious to say the least.

Gumbo

WKR
I'm 5' 10" and went with the 26" frame to run with an AMR. I figured it would be used for heavier multi-day loads almost exclusively and wanted the extra lift. No regrets, it has worked great. I have had no issues with it hitting the back of my head. If I was going to run the frame with a day pack instead I might go with a 24" frame, my NICE frames seem to be about 26" too, and they do hit me in the head sometimes when I am on my belly.

lkwoolsey

WKR
Hey, lurker here...
I am in market for a new pack. 95% sure it will be a Kifaru. I see lots of people here seem to love them. I am wondering about frame size. I am 5'9", 180. Regular to muscular build. I was told that a 26 is good for maximum weight, but is that thing going to overpower my little arse?
Would love some feedback from folks with both the 24 and 26...
I'm 5'9" and 195 pounds and use a 24 inch frame. I've packed some very heavy weight and it's been AWESOME. I didn't feel like I was lacking not having that extra 2 inches. That said, I don't think an extra 2 inches is going to be a big hang up busting brush or anything. But I have never used the 26 inch so can't say for sure. Just my two cents.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

OP
time killer

time killer

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the responses. I think I might be leaning 24"
I have taken some measurements and will give Aron a call though.

I'm about 6'0" and 175 lbs, 30" waist. I have tried both the 24" and 26" frames, and I definitely prefer the 24" frame. I have had over 100 lbs in it, that was 85 lbs of elk weighed at the butcher with my 35 lbs of gear that I basically carry everyday. I have plenty of lift, and I really disliked the extra couple of inches of frame that would hit me in the back of the head with the taller frame.

I called and talked to Aron and he had me order the 24 with my measurements but is best and let them decide what will work best for you. For reference i am 6' 170 ish and have a 21" torso. 31 " waist

Wyodan and KurtR --- Reviving an old thread, but how are you all liking the 24" duplex frame? I am on the cusp of purchasing one, but I just need a little push. I have similar measurements as both of you (6', 175lb, 32 inseam, and 17.5" torso). As I understand it, we are kind of "tweeners", so I'd like to make sure I'm not making a mistake with the 24" instead of the 26" frame. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

*zap*

WKR
The ability to attach the load lifter straps higher or lower may make a 26" frame no problem at all.

KurtR

WKR
Wyodan and KurtR --- Reviving an old thread, but how are you all liking the 24" duplex frame? I am on the cusp of purchasing one, but I just need a little push. I have similar measurements as both of you (6', 175lb, 32 inseam, and 17.5" torso). As I understand it, we are kind of "tweeners", so I'd like to make sure I'm not making a mistake with the 24" instead of the 26" frame. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

It is working good for me the only thing i might need to order an extra small belt as i have the small about bottomed out. i will get to test a 26" in the new frame here soon my kid is getting one for his birthday. He is 6'6" and 185 pounds at 14 so hoping he doesnt out grow that one haha

Thank you for the quick response, Kurt. I'm leaning towards the 24" frame, but please circle back once you've had an opportunity to put on the 26".

BTW - You're boy is man-sized at 14. I feel bad for his athletic competition.

Last edited:

wyodan

WKR
I'm still using mine. I tried a 26" for awhile, I didn't like that I'd hit the back of my head when I looked up. Still also like the lower profile of the 24" too. Plus, I carry out game like 4-5 times a year. But I wear the pack almost every weekend. I don't think I would really gain anything going to the 26" for those limited trips, and I get the plus of the shorter frame for the rest of the year.

I'm still using mine. I tried a 26" for awhile, I didn't like that I'd hit the back of my head when I looked up. Still also like the lower profile of the 24" too. Plus, I carry out game like 4-5 times a year. But I wear the pack almost every weekend. I don't think I would really gain anything going to the 26" for those limited trips, and I get the plus of the shorter frame for the rest of the year.

Perfect. Thank you so much, Wyodan. This is the type of information I was looking for. I’ll feel much better when I end up buying the 24”.