Foul weather/short range/lightweight rifle?

the reason I myself prefer a 3 position safety is that I can lock the bolt and not have it come open and possibly have it fall out while beating through the thick stuff. Has nothing to do with my inability to keep the muzzle in a safe direction or not carrying with a round in the chamber.

Yeah that's why I like them too. Although I did have a Ruger 77 MKII come open on me in thick brush once. I'm not sure how. A bolt locking mechanism has nothing to do with "safety" for me.

gelton

WKR
I'm a huge fan of VX-2's and the glass has been good enough for my needs. I was just pointing out that I understand it's not on the level of a VX-6 or Swarovski, but I'm not field judging full curl rams through my scope. I'd prefer solid mid-range scopes on all of my rifles and then a really nice set of binoculars rather than one top of the line scope and everything else suffering.

Just a heads up that the Weatherby BackCountry I posted above was topped with a VX3-3x9x40 in that pic and in .300 WM was 7lbs 11 oz. But it does have a 24 inch barrel. I would guess that it would be pretty close to what you were looking for in a .308 and by the time you buy a new stock to dump the vanguard in you would probably be close to spending the same amount of $$.

GKPrice

Banned
Just a heads up that the Weatherby BackCountry I posted above was topped with a VX3-3x9x40 in that pic and in .300 WM was 7lbs 11 oz. But it does have a 24 inch barrel. I would guess that it would be pretty close to what you were looking for in a .308 and by the time you buy a new stock to dump the vanguard in you would probably be close to spending the same amount of $$.

Aren't the backcountry's cerakoted too ?

gelton

WKR
Aren't the backcountry's cerakoted too ?

Yup. Really a nice rig, sub MOA all day...kicks like a mule but havent added a brake yet either. I shoot the hell outta this one and will likely need a new barrel in a year or two, so decided to wait and add a brake then. Loves Berger 215's and H1000.

OP
G
Get a weatherby backcountry if you like weatherby, want lightweight, but dont want to spend 2K on the markV lightweight, it is exactly what you are describing. Cerakoted, three position safety and all. Oh, and this one is in .300 WM.

Nice gun, thanks for posting with the weight. Would you mind measuring from where the fluting ends to the muzzle? I'm curious if I could shorten the barrel significantly without getting back into the flutes. The short action .308 should come in 4 oz lighter according to Weatherby, if I could save another 3-4 oz by cutting the barrel I'd be happy.

The Backcountry stock is the one I'd go with even if I ended up buying a Carbine model. I weighed my .223 Carbine last night and it came in at 8.3 lbs. According to Pac-Nor's site, I would save 0.2 lbs with a .308 bore I need the same gun. The stock on it is very heavy though, I think around 2.5 lbs IIRC. If the Backcountry stock comes in around 20-22 oz that should get me there as well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If you went with that vanguard backcountry, you could get weatherbys detachable magazine set up for ~ 100 bucks and that would save you an additional 1/2lb.

Also handy when you are hunting from the truck, where im at, driving with a loaded hunting rifle is a big no no and they look to enforce that rule (as they should), it's nice just to pop thup magazine out and throw it in the cup holder as you head down the road.