Form tested scopes with long mounting space

fwafwow

WKR
Last year I started down the path of a possible change to my rifle scopes (https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/tract-switch.242221/). Now I have the benefit of having read through the great reviews by @Formidilosus, and having read through a recent Talley issue for @Bluto. But the info and that thread are also a burden, as I am probably constrained in the scopes I would now consider as options (SWFA, NF or Trijicon).

To keep it simple, I will start with one rifle - the pictured Cooper in 30-06. My current uses for this rifle are for eastern whitetail, but at some point I might take it out west for elk. I don't need massive magnification, so a 3-9x SWFA (if and when found) would probably be perfect. But I can't seem to determine the mounting space needed from the SWFA site, and I'm concerned it may not be enough - at least with my current setup. (See pictures, as my Cooper requires a good bit of mounting space. Even with a long scope, there's not much room for me to move the scope to give me and my tall body and fat head enough eye relief. The one picture has the Tract mounted, and the second shows the Warne bases after receiving it back from Cooper and ThunderBeast (long story). As you may be able to see, the bases are pretty far apart and I've had to set up the forward base to be "backward" to fit the Tract.)

Here are my questions:
  1. Like @Bluto, I think I need to make an initial decision on a pic rail or not? Like him, I considered that but initially balked at the aesthetics of a rail, plus the possible difficulty in ejecting shells. But it seems that a rail opens up my options (without regard to mounting space) to any of the scopes that work well. And I can then pick any bases that I want.
  2. If anyone has gone down this path and found a functional non-rail option for "Form approved" scopes, let me know.
Yes, I did start to look at "Form approved" rifles without these restrictions and got pretty far down the Tikka rabbit hole (I think I ended up liking the T3x Lite Roughtech - but I'm waffling over 1:11" twist).

Cooper 30-06 with Tract.jpeg7F50BBD0-F329-48AB-87B5-2B235A00330E.jpeg

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I don't need massive magnification, so a 3-9x SWFA (if and when found) would probably be perfect. But I can't seem to determine the mounting space needed from the SWFA site,

Functionally, 5.75” for both the 3-9x and fixed power SWFA scopes.

and I'm concerned it may not be enough - at least with my current setup. (See pictures, as my Cooper requires a good bit of mounting space. Even with a long scope, there's not much room for me to move the scope to give me and my tall body and fat head enough eye relief. The one picture has the Tract mounted, and the second shows the Warne bases after receiving it back from Cooper and ThunderBeast (long story). As you may be able to see, the bases are pretty far apart and I've had to set up the forward base to be "backward" to fit the Tract.)

Do you want to discuss how bad vertical split rings are?

got pretty far down the Tikka rabbit hole (I think I ended up liking the T3x Lite Roughtech - but I'm waffling over 1:11" twist).

1:11 twist isn’t ideal, but there is no bullet that you would want to shoot in a 30/06 that won’t work just fine in it.

Generally I would say- unusual rifles are u usual for a reason…. However, what about taking a pic rail, mounting the scope and then cutting out the portion in the middle you don’t need?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
What is wrong with vertical split rings?

Haha.

The way that they are designed you need to tighten the bottom screws first, then the top. When you do that, you pinch the scope tube. Horizontally split rings compress from both sides, generally evenly.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Functionally, 5.75” for both the 3-9x and fixed power SWFA scopes.

Do you want to discuss how bad vertical split rings are?

1:11 twist isn’t ideal, but there is no bullet that you would want to shoot in a 30/06 that won’t work just fine in it.

Generally I would say- unusual rifles are u usual for a reason…. However, what about taking a pic rail, mounting the scope and then cutting out the portion in the middle you don’t need?
Thanks Form. I’m pretty sure my Coopers are both 1:10”, and I’ve got too much invested ($ and grief) to think about an alternative. At least for now.

Since I mention aesthetics, I should include the attached photo. I’ve already added an attachment for a Spartan bipod, and the TBAC brake, so I don’t think I should be as picky about appearances, especially in comparison to function.

Good idea to use a rail and possibly cut out what isn’t needed. This also lets me remount what I’ve got for now with more eye relief. I will hold off on cutting though, as with my luck I would then change something else and wish I had not cut anything.

Thoughts on rail and ring options? Cooper used to offer the Ken Farrell rail but I’m open to whatever works best, including for future scopes.

EDIT - I’m leaning towards the Murphy Precision rail and the Sportsmatch rings.
8964FA7B-6BD8-4784-9024-42C04408E6B1.jpeg

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What is wrong with vertical split rings?
I used to say the same thing. I was moving scopes around the other day though and found that my Nikon African 1-4 (can’t find those anymore) was crimped from vertical rings. Very sad and frustrating.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks Form. I’m pretty sure my Coopers are both 1:10”, and I’ve got too much invested ($ and grief) to think about an alternative. At least for now.

No doubt. Wa shush addressing the twist part- it’s a much to do about not much.

Thoughts on rail and ring options? Cooper used to offer the Ken Farrell rail but I’m open to whatever works best, including for future scopes.

EDIT - I’m leaning towards the Murphy Precision rail and the Sportsmatch rings.

I would just find the lowest height rail you can, I’m not sure what that is for a Cooper, and then low Seekins or low Warne Mountain Techs for the best cheekweld.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Murphy Precision rail (Ti) on the way. BTW - Cameron responded to an email in 7 minutes. On Labor Day.

Next up, scope choices. Currently looking at SWFA 3-9 and some NFs (SHV 3-10 and 4-14, NXS 3.5-15 and NX8 4-32).