Precision gas gun, Form?

PaulIV

FNG
I’ve been building my collection of firearms and am down to a precision gas gun. I have a LMT MARS-LS for general use and would like a precision based ar platform. I have ordered A Lmt MARS DMR complete lower and looking for recommendations for the upper with priority to precision and use with a suppressor. I’m leaning towards 6arc for the cartridge choice and it doesn’t appear that Lmt is offering the cartridge at this time. I’ve been looking at JP Enterprise or are there better options. If best to stick with a Lmt mrp upper in 5.56 what options should I incorporate for intended purpose. What is a reasonable expectation for such a build in terms of group size?

I do have precision bolt guns from ga precision and gunwerks so this is just a new venture for me to learn a new platform and have some fun at the range.

This forum has opened my eyes to prioritizing dependability and reliability and thus I have added a blaser bolt gun and switched hand guns to an Alchemy 1911 and staccato 2011 as well as some tikka bolt guns and the rokstok is on order. I think I will have my bases covered after this addition.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No personal experience but two names that I frequently hear among hard/selective users in my circles are JP and Seekins for precision.

I was going to buy one, so I paid attention for a while and those would have been my choices by reputation.

I have a 22 Grendel, which Hornady standardized as the 22 ARC.

They were wildcats at the time I was deciding. Ballistically, the 22 Grendel/ARC made more sense to get more velocity with the higher 223 cal bullets. The case size is better suited to the .224 cal IMO, including to fit the longer high BC bullets in the AR that you start to limit out with the .223 in an 15 platform.

Bama67

FNG
The Seekins DMR in 6mm ARC goes on sale every now and then for $1300. Those things are supposedly amazing shooters.

slowelk

WKR
I am new to precision gas guns, but have shot a lot of them in a short amount of time to make a decision for myself. As a result, I own an LMT Mars L MRP, which was a compromise in terms of precision, but a modular platform to work with over time. I also liked the one-piece upper and full ambi lower. The factory barrel shoots AAC 77gr OTM and SMK under 1.5 MOA for 10 rounds, and shoots out to 600 with ease when I can call wind. I did swap out the trigger, safety selector and charging handle.

Uppers/barrels that were more accurate in my testing (testing aka leveraging friends and friends of friends) were a Noveske, an ADM with a Lilja Barrel, and BG Defense with their "factory" criterion barrel.

Ultimately I chose reliability over top-tier precision, and a more universal cartridge vs a precision cartridge. I do NOT like the 13.5" rail, and wish it was a more standard 15". I do also have a Noveske recon upper in my cart, but I'm on the fence about it, and would probably just get a custom barrel and send to D Wilson for an LMT conversion if I really want to chase more precision.

The new Ridgeline Defense rifle is interesting.

Avonac

Lil-Rokslider
I am new to precision gas guns, but have shot a lot of them in a short amount of time to make a decision for myself. As a result, I own an LMT Mars L MRP, which was a compromise in terms of precision, but a modular platform to work with over time. I also liked the one-piece upper and full ambi lower. The factory barrel shoots AAC 77gr OTM and SMK under 1.5 MOA for 10 rounds, and shoots out to 600 with ease when I can call wind. I did swap out the trigger, safety selector and charging handle.

Uppers/barrels that were more accurate in my testing (testing aka leveraging friends and friends of friends) were a Noveske, an ADM with a Lilja Barrel, and BG Defense with their "factory" criterion barrel.

Ultimately I chose reliability over top-tier precision, and a more universal cartridge vs a precision cartridge. I do NOT like the 13.5" rail, and wish it was a more standard 15". I do also have a Noveske recon upper in my cart, but I'm on the fence about it, and would probably just get a custom barrel and send to D Wilson for an LMT conversion if I really want to chase more precision.

The new Ridgeline Defense rifle is interesting.
The Ridgeline Defense rifle is exactly the direction I would go. It’s only a 5.56 though.
You could always just buy a barrel and bolt if you want to go 6 ARC. The steel Proof barrels in 6 ARC have shot well.

OP
P

PaulIV

FNG
I appreciate the feedback I’ll look into the seekins and ridgeline defense.

Is there anything I need to do definitely for use with suppressor?

I’m way out of the loop on gas guns but I always had really good luck with Noveske, still have two. I would look at Seekins and Larue as well.

Bigwilly556

Lil-Rokslider
Are you looking for only a complete rifle/upper? What do you expect when it comes to accuracy and reliability? Hand load? Desired range for kills/hits on steel?

Gas guns are a whole new dimension when it comes to accuracy. There are so many variables that can hinder performance and accuracy. For me I build my own and if you can put together a Lincoln log cabin you can do the same with an AR-15 ( some tools/knowledge required ). Some people are happy with 1 moa gun others are not. You won't see many manufacturers even well known ones claim accuracy guarantees.

6 Arc can be a little trouble some in an AR platform. Mags, bolt face and other parts are all different than what the firearm was designed for. Not to say some manufacturers don't have them dialed in.

I prefer reliability over complete accuracy with any gas gun. Chrome lined barrels, non adjustable gas block etc. I'd look into barrels such as bartlein, white oak armament, proof research and criterion for a custom build. Uppers, triggers, bedding the barrel, thermal fit etc can make or break your accuracy. Guys like Wes at MSTN will build you whatever you want. He can supply the parts or you can. I've had such good luck with criterion core barrels I'm currently putting together a 18" core as a dmr varmint gun. I'd recommend lurking on snipers hide gas gun forum... A wealth of knowledge.

12.5 criterion core, 75 bthp with AR comp, thermal fit upper, bedded barrel, non adjustable gas block, trigger tech duty and buffer tuned for a surefire RCII . 100 yards 4 rounds with a vortex razor 1-6. Although not always repeatable this is my average group.

Attachments

• Compress_20240314_214518_8508.jpg
    Compress_20240314_214518_8508.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
What’s your idea of precision in a gas gun? A friend and rokslider helped me build a 6mm ARC that shoots 1 moa with factory loads, 10 round groups. It doesn’t have to be top of the line for it to work. The rifle was a little finicky to get dialed in, but has been solid to shoot now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have added a blaser bolt gun and switched hand guns to an Alchemy 1911 and staccato 2011 as well as some tikka bolt guns and the rokstok is on order.

With those…. Go ahead and do the thing- a PRI MK12 Mod 0 in 5.56, 22 ARC, or 6 ARC.

OP
P

PaulIV

FNG
I would be happy with a true, consistent 1 to 1.5 moa gun that always works and is built for use with a suppressor. I do hand load for my bolt guns and would do so for this as well. The range I use does have steel to 1000 yards but I think 6-800 yards is more realistic for me with this project.

l would prefer a complete upper assembly the I can just attach to the Lmt mars lower.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks, will do.

The MK12 mod 0 fits perfect with the other class you have. I am not an adjustable gas block or bolt carrier person- a properly ported barrel with a correct buffer and spring will work fine with any can that is suitable for a gas gun.

Reactions: FLS
OP
P

PaulIV

FNG
The MK12 mod 0 fits perfect with the other class you have. I am not an adjustable gas block or bolt carrier person- a properly ported barrel with a correct buffer and spring will work fine with any can that is suitable for a gas gun.

Do you suggest a change to the Lmt mars buffer and spring? What about a trigger change to a geissele or laRue 2 stage? I have the Hyperion k, ultra 7 and omega suppressors.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Do you suggest a change to the Lmt mars buffer and spring?

No, that should be good.

What about a trigger change to a geissele or laRue 2 stage?

Does the lower have LMT’s two stage trigger in it? If not, yes a Geissle or Larue two stage. If it does, then it’s just whether you want a lighter trigger or not- LMT’s two stage is a good trigger.

I have the Hyperion k, ultra 7 and omega suppressors.

The Hyperion K will work fine in a gas gun.

Preference to Gen 2 or 3?

Gen 2 for a Mark 12.

The deal with the Mark 12 (besides them being cool) is that it’s better than the sum of its parts. I and others have abut every type of AR upper, part, and barrel one could imagine, and I/we still prefer the Mod 0’s to them for precision work.

slowelk

WKR
The LMT two-stage trigger in my rifle had a four pound first stage, 3.5 pound second stage. Way too heavy as someone coming from bolt guns. Geissele ssa-e was an easy swap.

FLS

WKR
A good barrel and a good trigger are the basis for an accurate gas gun.
I would be happy with a true, consistent 1 to 1.5 moa gun that always works and is built for use with a suppressor. I do hand load for my bolt guns and would do so for this as well. The range I use does have steel to 1000 yards but I think 6-800 yards is more realistic for me with this project.

l would prefer a complete upper assembly the I can just attach to the Lmt mars lower.
Contact Craddock Precision and have them build you an upper around a Bartlein or Krieger blank.IMG_2507.jpeg

Last edited: