FORLOH pack launched today!

SO went to a couple new fabrics, and to my knowledge has done away with X-Pac. The new fabric that’s called “Ultra 400” is made by a US based company named Challenge Sailcloth/Outdoors. The fabric itself is made in China. I own one of the SO packs with the new Ultra fabric, and I must say it is a good lookin and feeling fabric. Do I wish SO could source this fabric stateside? Sure, but for me having a durable, lighter, and waterproof fabric on my pack is more important than a Berry Compliance. For others it’s not and that’s ok.

As for the FORLOH pack, I think the frame height, weight, and price tag will keep me away from this pack. I think it’s a good start and I wish them well, and I’m excited to have a new player on the scene. Hopefully they innovate from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
SO went to a couple new fabrics, and to my knowledge has done away with X-Pac. The new fabric that’s called “Ultra 400” is made by a US based company named Challenge Sailcloth/Outdoors. The fabric itself is made in China. I own one of the SO packs with the new Ultra fabric, and I must say it is a good lookin and feeling fabric. Do I wish SO could source this fabric stateside? Sure, but for me having a durable, lighter, and waterproof fabric on my pack is more important than a Berry Compliance. For others it’s not and that’s ok.

As for the FORLOH pack, I think the frame height, weight, and price tag will keep me away from this pack. I think it’s a good start and I wish them well, and I’m excited to have a new player on the scene. Hopefully they innovate from here.

UltraPE is simply the pinnacle of performance for a backpack fabric. The face fabric simply is not made in the US. We always try to source US first, but if what we think is the best is NOT made in the US, then we go where it is made. Sometimes, the capability you desire, simply is not here for some reason.

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
When I buy a Seek Outside product I'm supporting a business that employs people in manufacturing in my home state of Colorado, which is more than I can say for Kifaru now.

More than can be said for at least the last decade as well; Colorado hasn't been where the sewing takes place for a long while.

It would be hard for me to pay that much on a pack I know little about with a 22” frame, I think that’s a big deal for anyone spending the money… I would be curious and tempted with a 24” frame

I like a lot about this pack, but going in blind with a 22” frame would be tough to justify, I really hope that’s addressed… basically everyone would prefer a 24-26” frame for a pack like this

I have no idea...whatever it is I can promise the reason that they outsource whatever they outsource is 100% related to profit margin.

I don't think that's a hard fact. It's hard to find materials right now. Peruse any tactical sewing forum and group and it seems half the posts are people scrounging to find materials. Look at WTFidea and they're sold out of half their Berry Compliant stuff.

The price premium for Berry stuff isn't that high, IMO. Sure it comes out of the bottom line, but it's not significant.

Oh... all the flexing and 100% made in USA virtue signaling just doesn't get old does it! Fanboys type away on their not made in USA devices like they know everything about every pack brand, even though they don't work there, all while wearing not made in USA clothing, looking through not made in USA glass, and driving "American" trucks half manufactured in Mexico, containing made in China computer chips.

Yet without regurgitating something their Instagram crush stated, can anyone explain something about actual performance and function of a backpack and how it is directly attributed to their preferred pack's country of origin percentage? Since this is a backpack forum, it might be helpful to some readers to learn something about a pack other than how cool someone is because their pack is 100% made in the US.

100% made in USA is great! But the reality is that single factor does not make a pack perform or function any better than another pack that isn't 100% made in USA. Might make someone feel special though. Might even make me feel special?
Supporting USA made when given the choice is now virtue signaling?

The world keeps getting crazier and further from a good direction

These cost basically the same that Kifaru costs and they are the ONLY 100% made in the USA packs available. I don't care what SG, EXO, and SO tell you, they are sewing their packs in the USA with material from China. That is how they keep their prices so much lower than Kifaru (and now Forloh). They like to say their material is "mostly" from the USA but have them explain to what exactly that means....they will not tell you (believe me, I've asked each one of them both on this website, and directly through email).

I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing...but we need to compare apples to apples and Forloh and Kifaru are the only "major" companies making packs in the USA with USA sourced materials and they are comparably priced. Being 100% made and sourced in the USA may not be a factor for you, but it is for me, and it is for others as well.
Their usa sourced material comes from china
But they wont tell you that

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
Some really cool stuff going on with this pack. Too bad it wasn’t out in time for Mindful Hunter’s recent kitty litter pack-off review, I’d have loved to see how it performed vs the others he reviewed. +1 for longer frame and solid color options. Overall very impressive entry into a new segment of the market. This is a tough one to crack as customer switching costs are much higher for packs than for other pieces of gear. I imagine this pack probably won’t be the entry point for new FORLOH customers, first run sales will likely be existing customers whose trust has been earned through solid performance of FORLOH’s other products like their clothing systems. Overall I really respect what FORLOH is doing and wish them all success and many satisfied customers.

fwafwow

WKR
Supporting USA made when given the choice is now virtue signaling?
I think supporting "Made in the USA" is fine and laudable. But - IMHO - there are nuances. If the decision of whether to support or not can turn on 100% vs. 99% USA components, should we limit the analysis to materials and labor, or should we expand to looking at the citizenship and residence of owners (including passive investors), method of transportation of materials and personnel, the equipment they use to make and advertise the product, take orders, etc.? Those seem like ridiculous inquiries to me, but I think that some would say the same about saying a pack isn't 100% USA Made if it contains a snap or zipper sourced outside of the USA.

Even focusing on just materials can have unintended consequences. I have a friend who is one of two owners of a company that makes outdoor and other products. The owners are US citizens and residents, and they are vets. But if they make all of their gear with *only* pure USA materials, then it limits their offering, increases their costs, and may limit them from being able to hire other US employees. And maximizing profit could be characterized as greed, but for a startup, it's sometimes the difference between survival and failure.

fatlander

WKR
Maybe it’s me, but what is it with pack launches at exorbitant prices that don’t show any field testing. . . It leads me to wonder was it even done? Show us some packs that have been used and abused for what you’re advertising they can do.

I think supporting "Made in the USA" is fine and laudable. But - IMHO - there are nuances. If the decision of whether to support or not can turn on 100% vs. 99% USA components, should we limit the analysis to materials and labor, or should we expand to looking at the citizenship and residence of owners (including passive investors), method of transportation of materials and personnel, the equipment they use to make and advertise the product, take orders, etc.? Those seem like ridiculous inquiries to me, but I think that some would say the same about saying a pack isn't 100% USA Made if it contains a snap or zipper sourced outside of the USA.

Even focusing on just materials can have unintended consequences. I have a friend who is one of two owners of a company that makes outdoor and other products. The owners are US citizens and residents, and they are vets. But if they make all of their gear with *only* pure USA materials, then it limits their offering, increases their costs, and may limit them from being able to hire other US employees. And maximizing profit could be characterized as greed, but for a startup, it's sometimes the difference between survival and failure.
I largely agree with you, but to me, there is something to be said for building 100% US on principle, I appreciate that, because it’s harder and cost is higher, so it doesn’t make a lot of sense business wise… way easier to not.

That being said, I don’t have less respect for the companies like EXO, stone and seek outside for conducting their business the way they do, if I built packs, I would do what they do

I’m Also not going to buy a lesser 100% US vs a 97% US made pack that fits me better or performs better, it’s more like if I’m on the fence, I would go with the USA made (100%) or both… usually both with me😉

Though the lines get blurred these days, I still think there is a difference between principles and virtue signaling… that’s a woke thing

Back to packs! I need a 24” frame, when that happens, I will be very tempted, it checks a lot of boxes for me

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

Let me know if you have any questions about the pack - but we just got it live today :) I'll be headed home in about an hour, but will be on in the morning to answer any questions on specifics. As always it is USA made!

Sorry for the shameless promotion - I'm excited to see what you guys think!

Hannah @ FORLOH
Hey Hannah,

There are some things I see just from looking at the photos and info on your site. The frame looks like it's straight. If that's true, I don't see it being comfortable or staying up on my hips properly.

As has already been mentioned a bunch of times, the frame should be taller.

The mesh lining on the inside of the belt and shoulder straps should be replaced with a solid material to keep debris like pine needles from getting caught. Kifaru and now Exo do theirs that way and it's much better in my opinion.

I don't like hip belt pockets that are attached permanently. I prefer removable hip pockets with size options, and a water bottle option.

The bag is going to be personal preference as far as layout and pockets but I'm not a fan. I like to have a removable lid that I can put on top of the head/antlers when packing out an animal. I prefer side pockets for spotter and tripod. Also, 4400 CU IN is pretty small for anything more than a couple days if you plan on being successful. Maybe a future bag model with some those features?

sndmn11

I largely agree with you, but to me, there is something to be said for building 100% US on principle, I appreciate that, because it’s harder and cost is higher, so it doesn’t make a lot of sense business wise… way easier to not.

That being said, I don’t have less respect for the companies like EXO, stone and seek outside for conducting their business the way they do, if I built packs, I would do what they do

I’m Also not going to buy a lesser 100% US vs a 97% US made pack that fits me better or performs better, it’s more like if I’m on the fence, I would go with the USA made (100%) or both… usually both with me😉

In the textile world, USA produced is "generally" inferior. I worked for about 10 years for Davis Tent and during that time a run of tents from USA grown and woven material was tried. It very regularly would leak, was found to not be as long lasting, and was sub-par in nearly every aspect. It was an easy choice for the Davis family to go back to Indian grown/woven material that was treated in the USA, and then shipped to Denver for production due to it being superior in most every way.

For me, I would prefer the best product first, and then I look at USA production value. I don't want to short myself in getting what I really need due to patriotism, and I think it sounds like you and I, likely others, are on that page.

Back to Forloh, @ForlohFamily would be best served addressing the frame height because many in here have mentioned it being a red light.

fwafwow

WKR
Would anyone care to buy and try it out - given the free return policy? I’m not a pack expert but (or perhaps for that reason) I wonder if some of the concerns here have been handled in other ways?

sndmn11

Would anyone care to buy and try it out - given the free return policy? I’m not a pack expert but (or perhaps for that reason) I wonder if some of the concerns here have been handled in other ways?
I have floated the idea of writing a review on here.

OP
ForlohFamily

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Hannah,

There are some things I see just from looking at the photos and info on your site. The frame looks like it's straight. If that's true, I don't see it being comfortable or staying up on my hips properly.

As has already been mentioned a bunch of times, the frame should be taller.

The mesh lining on the inside of the belt and shoulder straps should be replaced with a solid material to keep debris like pine needles from getting caught. Kifaru and now Exo do theirs that way and it's much better in my opinion.

I don't like hip belt pockets that are attached permanently. I prefer removable hip pockets with size options, and a water bottle option.

The bag is going to be personal preference as far as layout and pockets but I'm not a fan. I like to have a removable lid that I can put on top of the head/antlers when packing out an animal. I prefer side pockets for spotter and tripod. Also, 4400 CU IN is pretty small for anything more than a couple days if you plan on being successful. Maybe a future bag model with some those features?
Thanks for the constructive feedback :) We have another pack that will be launched later this year - Ill be posting it on RokSlide and giving some DM sneek peaks before it launches again. It won't be as robust as this one, more of a travel day pack with some cool custom add ons. And yea - this is our first pack (and 2nd year!) so we do take note of what people want. Thats why were on here in the first place.

OP
ForlohFamily

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Some really cool stuff going on with this pack. Too bad it wasn’t out in time for Mindful Hunter’s recent kitty litter pack-off review, I’d have loved to see how it performed vs the others he reviewed. +1 for longer frame and solid color options. Overall very impressive entry into a new segment of the market. This is a tough one to crack as customer switching costs are much higher for packs than for other pieces of gear. I imagine this pack probably won’t be the entry point for new FORLOH customers, first run sales will likely be existing customers whose trust has been earned through solid performance of FORLOH’s other products like their clothing systems. Overall I really respect what FORLOH is doing and wish them all success and many satisfied customers.
Thanks for the kind words and support! We are pretty excited about the pack and it only just came out - so hopefully we can get some real reviews to you guys soon :)