Ford 5.0L V8 vs EcoBoost: High mileage experience?

If you had only these two to choose from, which one would you pick?

• 5.0L V8 (2018 and newer)

Votes: 46 49.5%
  • 3.5L V6 EcoBoost (2018 and newer)

Votes: 47 50.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Billinsd

WKR
Its a two-fold issue...

1. A lot of manufacturers are very optimistic with their maintenance intervals. Take the 3.5 as an example... 10k on a twin turbo engine? No. Lifetime fluids? No. 150k transmission fluid? Hard no.

2. A lot of people like to think they're great at maintaining their vehicles, meanwhile they're content with letting their oil go 1k+ past the change interval, or completely neglecting other needed maintenance because its too expensive, they don't know, or they get their buddy/jiffy lube/etc to do it

- I don't know any of you guys. Just a general observation from someone who wrenches for a living.
Thanks, I’ve been pretty lucky. I want long, trouble free as can be life out of my vehicles. However, I'm cheap and very busy and strive to reach my vehicle goals with reasonable cost and labor. I’ve learned, that the manufacturers maintenance intervals are the bare minimum required to get the vehicle through the warranty period, usually 5 years only. If you want to keep your vehicle past 5 years and follow these minimum maintenance periods you will probably have problems. I have learned a great deal from “The car care nut” on YouTube. He gives excellent advice for Toyotas, but I apply it towards my Civics, too. He recommends intervals and what liquids to use without over doing it, either.

Bama67

FNG
The 2.7 Ecoboost is by far the best F150 engine, and possibly, with the retirement of the Toyota 5.7, the beat half ton engine made now.
Very reliable, excellent mpg (mine got 24mpg in a crew cab with 3.73 gears and all terrains, tows great, and an absolute rocket.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I have had two Ford F-150's with the 3.5 EB engines. They are great and have awesome power. The gas mileage is pretty good as long as you stay under 65 mph. Seems to drop significantly when you drive over 65 or pull any sort of trailer. When I pull my horse trailer or boat, it gets 9-10 mpg.

CB4

WKR
2.7 owner and very happy with it. Bought it used with 56k and now have 110k. Original owners custom ordered it with the heavy suspension and large gas tank. Like mentioned if I kept it to 65 and under could get 600+ miles on one tank but trips out west dont allow for that when the suggested speed is 80. It has been reliable just wish it had the 6.5 foot bed.

SouthPaw

WKR
2016 F150 2.7L/6sp with 140k, not a single issue. Still just as strong as new. It's been the most reliable vehicle I've owned. With the large gas tank it goes 700 miles per tank.

mdp22

FNG
2018 F150 5.0 V-8. Has 70K on it and I pull a 27 foot camper every once in awhile. I've added a quart of oil twice in five years around the 5K on an oil change. Only thing that has gone wrong was the catalytic converter was cut out in Albuquerque:mad:. This past weekend I averaged 22 mpg, headwinds and towing make mileage suffer.