For PRS - Separate RF/BINO or all-in-one?

Glassn24

FNG
Hello,

I am getting into the PRS world, and would love some feedback from the brain trust on here. My question is:

For target shooting, would a RF Bino work better than separate units? I know I can get better glass with Swaros and Revic BR4s are in breakable in cold weather, but this is just target range/time. My main concern is simplicity.

I am have both the Sig 8k and 10k - need to get rid of one, but am having a hard time choosing the best route to go.

Thank you in advance!

I wouldn’t worry about a LRF at a PRS match. I’ve only seen a couple times where the MD’s yardages have been off. Even if you don’t have one there’s going to be some nerd on the squad busting out his LRF to verify and they’ll be sure to let the world know if one of the yardages on the match handbook aren’t accurate.

I’m not a fan of LRF/Bino combos. LRF’s are fragile gear for the most part, it doesn’t take much to knock the laser off. Binos on tripods get kicked over all the time at matches.

The best piece of glass you can have aside from your riflescope is a great 12-15x bino to watch where the people ahead of you are hitting or missing. SLC 15x56 on a tripod are the king. BX5 15x56 are a great budget option as you can pick them up used for $700 or so. Meostars are great too but not really any better performance wise than the BX5’s and cost almost as much as the SLC’s which blow them away.

OP
G

Glassn24

FNG
Thank you for taking the time on this, great advice. And you saved me from being that nerd 😂👍🏻

Macintosh

WKR
There are plenty of PRS stages with unknown distance, you will absolutely need a LRF if you shoot any of those stages--we've tried to do at least one stage each match where you have to range, etc on the clock. Also, if you shoot any .22 matches the difference between your RF and the MD's can be several clicks in your dope. You can borrow one to get a sense of what you need and what others use, but you will need a LRF at some point. Most of the folks I shoot with use combo LRF/binos. Most of them are not spot and stalk hunting, so for them I think it's the best bang for the buck and simplest way to get a LRF capable of reliably hitting targets out at 1200+, and also getting a decent pair of binos, all mounted on a tripod so you can be relatively certain what you are ranging, and easily transportable from stage to stage with a minimum of clutter. It's also what I like best hunting, so it helps me get in the groove with my hunting equipment. agree 100% on the 15x binos being perfect for spotting, but I would say 80+% of the glass I see on the range at matches is either sig or vortex 10x ranging binos. The ubiquitous vortex 50% off certificates as match prizes also helps--that's how I purchased mine. It may be a regional thing, but that's what I see. Personally I'd love a set of leica ranging binos. I also do see binos on a tripod either kicked over once in a while, or blown over once in a while--to me this is a perfect place for those brands that may not be alpha quality but come with a no questions asked warranty.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
I guess all those times I used my rangefinder at matches I wasn't really ranging targets? Sorry, my bad, I didn't realize I was delusional.
It may be a regional thing, but that's what I see.

We can argue about the definition of plenty if you want? or whatever other semantics you are pushing. It's irrelevant. I suspect the vast majority of folks who shoot these matches end up shooting a variety of different somewhat-similar match formats, and like it or not "PRS" is often a generic term used for all practical precision rifle matches--if you shoot practical precision rifle matches, especially local ones, and definitely in some of the other practical precision match series, you will 100% encounter at least some blind or un-ranged stages that require you to range targets, either on or off the clock. We've been shooting NRL22 and 22+ for a couple years and often add a local stage or two to the end of a match, and will sometimes make one of those a blind stage. Been a year or more since I shot a PRS-sanctioned event, but there was at least one blind stage there. I have shot numerous matches where stages were not "blind", but they required the shooters to range the targets. Some events that get lumped into the general category of "PRS" (as opposed to that specific match series) include more such stages. Whether that is "plenty" or not, and whether that's what the OP or anyone else meant by PRS, I dont know...but I personally do not go to a match without a rangefinder, and I usually use it. Again, anyone new can show up and shoot with what they have and in my experience get welcomed into a squad and use someone's rangefinder in a pinch, and figure out what they need and don't need themselves.

"Official PRS Guidelines for Match Directors Related To Stage Design:​

“The PRS prides itself on being the most practical of all the action shooting sports, therefore; designing stages that are highly practical COF’s such as short to mid-range unknown distance stages, blind stages with no preparation granted to the shooter, and the use of realistic props is highly encouraged..."

Last edited:

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can say that I haven't seen an unknown distance stage at any of the PRS national or regional matches in CO, UT, NM, or AZ but it could be different elsewhere. Like what was said above, tripod get blown/knocked over all the time at PRS matches so I have always stuck with my Vortex Furys for matches and leave the Swaro 15s at home. Yea the glass is nowhere near as nice to look through but If my Furys get knocked onto there head and break into two pieces its no big deal! Mine are range finding binos because I am the nerd who ranges every target but ranges are a little easier to have wrong in the terrain we shoot in. Just my two cents.

ID_Matt

WKR
I think having a separate RF bino is the ticket. Like mentioned above, tripods tip over all the time at matches. You'll feel better with a set of sigs or vortex that cost 1/2-1/3 as much as your hunting swaros. Keep your swaro's clean for hunting and beat up the sig/vortex. Most every match I have shot for PRS is known yardage, but it is nice to range the targets every once in a while to verify. Also, RF binos are a serious advantage if you ever want to shoot NRL Hunter matches.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
As above, although you are given target distances if you do want to verfify being able to find and range the target with a single unit is nice to have.
Some matches I've shot have had some very steep angles to acount for so having binos to view the targets and then to get the angle to target is much nicer than viewing targets through and LRF or having to swtich between the two.

Unless you are trying to save weight and/or money LRF binos are the wasy to go.
One less thing to carry and more convient, and as above for a UKD match LRF binos are definietly the way to go especially if you have built in ballistics.

OP
G

Glassn24

FNG
I guess all those times I used my rangefinder at matches I wasn't really ranging targets? Sorry, my bad, I didn't realize I was delusional.

We can argue about the definition of plenty if you want? or whatever other semantics you are pushing. It's irrelevant. I suspect the vast majority of folks who shoot these matches end up shooting a variety of different somewhat-similar match formats, and like it or not "PRS" is often a generic term used for all practical precision rifle matches--if you shoot practical precision rifle matches, especially local ones, and definitely in some of the other practical precision match series, you will 100% encounter at least some blind or un-ranged stages that require you to range targets, either on or off the clock. We've been shooting NRL22 and 22+ for a couple years and often add a local stage or two to the end of a match, and will sometimes make one of those a blind stage. Been a year or more since I shot a PRS-sanctioned event, but there was at least one blind stage there. I have shot numerous matches where stages were not "blind", but they required the shooters to range the targets. Some events that get lumped into the general category of "PRS" (as opposed to that specific match series) include more such stages. Whether that is "plenty" or not, and whether that's what the OP or anyone else meant by PRS, I dont know...but I personally do not go to a match without a rangefinder, and I usually use it. Again, anyone new can show up and shoot with what they have and in my experience get welcomed into a squad and use someone's rangefinder in a pinch, and figure out what they need and don't need themselves.

"Official PRS Guidelines for Match Directors Related To Stage Design:​

“The PRS prides itself on being the most practical of all the action shooting sports, therefore; designing stages that are highly practical COF’s such as short to mid-range unknown distance stages, blind stages with no preparation granted to the shooter, and the use of realistic props is highly encouraged..."
I think you’re spot on with some range finding binos, nothing too nice but handles anything you might need it for!

I think you’re spot on with some range finding binos, nothing too nice but handles anything you might need it for!

You need magnification and decent glass for PRS matches. 12x minimum and ideally 15x. Even alpha glass 10’s are marginal, I used EL10x42’s a good bit before I got EL12’s and SLC15’s and they worked somewhat but you’re not watching splashes on the steel or misses beyond about 800-900 unless it’s a freshly painted target (they never are after first squad) or spotting misses in anything but super dry dusty dirt.

Unless you’re doing an NRL hunter March or something where you’re finding and ranging larger target on the clock then leave them at home.

Being able to watch where everyone’s bullets are going before you’re up to shoot is a HUGE competitive advantage. Look up what mirages effects are on a target image.

OP
G

Glassn24

FNG
Great advice! Now I just need to figure out funds for another set of glass 😂

Great advice! Now I just need to figure out funds for another set of glass 😂

Alpha glass is nice but you don’t NEED it for matches. Ergonomics, FOV, absolute brightness and like features that you pay a lot to get a little for aren’t as important on something you’re mounting on a tripod and looking at one small array of target or a narrow array of targets.

You can get lightly used Leupold BX5 15x56’s for $700, there was just a pair on here that went for $650. Maven B5’s and Meopta Meostar B1.1’s are also excellent but cost more than what you can get use BX5’s for. They’re absolutely the best bang for the buck for PRS glass.