Flying with Meat

Johnboy

WKR
John I don't remember the size. I will see if I can find more pictures I have. They box I had weighed exactly 50lbs loaded. I have a buddy in Anchorage if you have to much moose and want to donate! Haha, good luck

TK

I'll be flying out of Fairbanks. I've read that the local grocery and walmart stores carry these fish boxes. Not sure if they look just like the one you posted. On Alakska Air, the extra "bags" will cost $75 apiece, but the max. weight is 100lb. So to get the most bang for my buck, I think I'd want a box that could hold exactly 100lbs, which would be twice the size of the one you posted. That's good to know.

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be flying out of Fairbanks. I've read that the local grocery and walmart stores carry these fish boxes. Not sure if they look just like the one you posted. On Alakska Air, the extra "bags" will cost $75 apiece, but the max. weight is 100lb. So to get the most bang for my buck, I think I'd want a box that could hold exactly 100lbs, which would be twice the size of the one you posted. That's good to know.

Tape or strap two boxes together!

PMcGee

WKR
Looks like I'll be glad I flew Southwest this year.

Southwest could be a pain in the ass. Last year I had my elk in plastic totes with dry ice. They told me it had to be in a cooler or coated cardboard box. I had to buy the cardboard boxes off of them and they still wouldn’t let me put it back in the plastic totes. Their concern was blood leaking. Not sure how a cardboard box is better then a sealed plastic tote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
This has been covered at least a hundred times if you do a little research, but I'll answer it anyway.

You can carry on frozen meats as long as there are no blue ice/gel packs/ice in the cooler. Make sure it is packed full (wrap in newspaper if necessary). Everything will still be frozen solid when you arrive STJ.

Should you put it in your check bag? That's up to you. Do you what thawed/rancid meat should your bag get delayed or lost?

Have a great trip!

sad_story

FNG
+1 on Alaska and extra coolers. I haven't had the same luck on some of the other airlines. I think it's pretty dependent on the airline staff @ the local airport, and how used they are to the hunting community.

njdoxie

WKR
Southwest could be a pain in the ass. Last year I had my elk in plastic totes with dry ice. They told me it had to be in a cooler or coated cardboard box. I had to buy the cardboard boxes off of them and they still wouldn’t let me put it back in the plastic totes. Their concern was blood leaking. Not sure how a cardboard box is better then a sealed plastic tote.

This is new to me, I’ve always flown United and put frozen meat in my suitcase, this year I’m flying southwest and was planning to do the same thing, but looks like I might not be able to, I’ll have to call southwest to confirm.

OK just got off the phone with Southwest, I told them I would be putting frozen meat in a contractors bag, tied off and that would go in my suitcase and they said that was fine.

Last edited:

PMcGee

WKR
This is new to me, I’ve always flown United and put frozen meat in my suitcase, this year I’m flying southwest and was planning to do the same thing, but looks like I might not be able to, I’ll have to call southwest to confirm.

OK just got off the phone with Southwest, I told them I would be putting frozen meat in a contractors bag, tied off and that would go in my suitcase and they said that was fine.

Hopefully it works out for youThe 3 lady’s I talked to said cooler or cardboard no exceptions. This was in Boise.

njdoxie

WKR
Hopefully it works out for youThe 3 lady’s I talked to said cooler or cardboard no exceptions. This was in Boise.

Durn, that’s bothersome, sounds like it depends on who’s working the counter that day, I hate surprises at the airport! Got to think about this some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PMcGee

WKR
Durn, that’s bothersome, sounds like it depends on who’s working the counter that day, I hate surprises at the airport! Got to think about this some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep it’s BS

rlmmarine

WKR
I use the columbia soft sided coolers about 50 dollars each and they hold filled to the top about 50lbs. I freeze the meat and put a block of dry icein with it and the meats good for a couple days. I put it under the plane and go with it. The coolers are light weight so i bring how ever many im going to need with me and fold them up and put them in a duffle with other gear on the flight out pm me for further help

7Bartman

WKR
I've done this the past two years from BOI to BWI. First year, was no problem. Last year I ran into a little hiccup in that my meat wasnt completely frozen. Fortunately I had a supervisor help out and we triple-bagged it and duct-taped my cooler. They made me throw out my dry ice. TSA cut the duct tape on both my coolers. Per this forum, I recently purchased a polar bear soft-sided cooler that I also plan on bringing this year as a carry on to bring back more meat. It worked great bringing salmon and crab back from BC two weeks ago.

rlmmarine

WKR
These work really well for me even in the summer on the boat
I take a black sharpie and write my contact info on the side and usually not always put a printed tag on the side that says meat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190811-082918_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20190811-082918_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 16