FLying with guns on southwest

ODB

WKR
Trying to help out a friend here... has anyone flown Southwest with a rifle case that exceeded their ridiculous 62" max and were you charged an excess baggage fee? The website is vague because it says you "may" be charged excess baggage. Wait time is currently 74 minutes and I am sure one of you has more first-hand knowledge than the chap in the call center...

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve flown several times with my Pelican 1750 with two long guns in it and never been charged extra on Southwest.

Reactions: ODB
OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
Good info cool. He wants to borrow my 1750, and I do t have any direct southwest experience. Thanks.

MattB

WKR
Flown SWA with an SKB double quite a few times, never charged excess fees. Like most airlines, they are pretty forgiving for sporting equipment.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I've flown SW many, many times with long guns and have never been charged.
Just counted as a regular checked bag.

Reactions: ODB

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
I fly SW a couple of times a year with a Pelican 1750 and have never had an issue. I do make sure it's under 50 pounds though.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
It’s it over 50lbs they will charge you a $75 fee. Often when we fly with guns, the rifle cases will be picked up at the oversize baggage claim regardless of weight.

I concur with the posts above. Frequently travel Southwest with guns and (heavier) golfing gear... I know, don't judge me.

Weight is the only thing they seem to care about, and I've had to remove a pair of shoes from my golf case on more than one occasion to get under 50#.