Flying tabs driving?

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Ok was thinking about flying to Denver then renting a truck driving to my spot and if I get, actually
when I get my elk driving back to KC. Has anyone else done something simalar? I hate my IPhone sometimes meant flying verses driving.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
I would rather drive and i'm only 30 mins closer then you. Plus you then run the possibility of the airport f'n up or the rental place only have a small suv because they over rented (ran into both of these issues my last trip) I wouldn't fly unless you have to like going to AK or the Yukon. It will definetly cost more then just driving, well for me it would, trip there and back costs me a little over $300 and that is more then I usually pay but I est high. Plus I enjoy the drive.

As far as a time saver it probably will only save 6hrs on the way there since you are driving back.

OP
Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I to don't mind the drive as long as it is financially cheaper. Flying my biggest worry was ending up in Denver with no gear.

dotman

WKR
Way cheaper to drive when you ad the variable cost of a flight, renting and then gas to drive all the way home. I would think when all is said and done you will be close to $400 if not more this way plus the aggrivation of being at the airport and the logisstics of a flight home if you get skunked.

Seems more costly and stressful but I hate airports, flying is ok airports suck and if your bow gets thrown about how do you plan to sight it back in for elevation and being thrown around unless you check or buy a target in Denver.

I always check my bow after the drive and it seems to need adjustment, not sure if it is elevation or what but I have to adj back when I get home.

I could fly into Durango, have my parents pick me up and mail all my gear and meat home and I still find it cheaper to drive.

Last edited:

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have contemplated the same thing. About 20 hours to drive each way with about a $700 gas bill in todays times. That equates to two full days of not hunting. I still lean towards driving always to avoid the airport / rental issues. Everything is in my control that way. If I kill early I can leave with no hassles and get my stuff home relatively easy.

Dotman, it is another entire thread regarding elevation effecting your point of impact. Short non technical answer is probably not. If you are Randy Ulmer shooting broadheads at 100 yards, sure. The normal bowhunter can't shoot tight enough groups at long distance to ever see any difference. I have seen some mention they are 3" high at 20 yards because they are hunting at 10k feet but sighted there bow in at 3k'. Scientifically based on just those factors impossible. No different than exterior ballistics in rifles, you need a longer time of flight for environmental factors to start effecting your projectile whether it is a bullet or an arrow.

dotman

WKR
Haha maybe it is lack of O2 in my lungs I have to adj for, but it always seems like I have to make a slight adj. Ok no more high jacking.

We live 1000-1200 miles from most of the places we hunt out of state, and we almost always drive. We just break it up with one long afternoon/night of driving the first day, then get there the next day. If we fly it pretty much eats up most of the day of travel anyways. I have flown on hunts over 1500 miles away, and it has it's own set of difficulties in getting the gear there and in good shape, and getting the gear, meat, antlers, and cape home.

SUV rentals are usually not cheap, its hard to find pick-up trucks to rent, and some auto rental companies charge quite a bit for dropping a vehicle off hundreds of miles from where it was rented, particularly so for an SUV I would think. Personally, I would never mess with the complexities of flying to go on a hunt if can get there in less then two days of travel.

OP
Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Lol Dotman if I have to adjust my sights then I would have to have been hit in the head being I shoot instinctive. :)