Fly Fishing Idaho Steelhead

Flyjunky

WKR
@Thinkingman and @Flyjunky. Tell me more about kelts. When I posted above I must have not noticed it was pacific steelhead 🫣. My reference what directed to Great Lake steelhead I used to do years ago.

With that said I was researching ID steelhead info for second week in April when this popped up. I know this is an old thread but would that be a good time to fish? And is there a good reference site to have a better grasp of hatchery fish vs wild for the watersheds? Thanks
Kelts are fish that have spawned and will be heading back to the ocean to start the process over again. Not all steelhead will make this trip more than once, I think it’s just under 5% for lower 48 steelhead.

Idaho doesn’t have a winter run of fish, just summer run, so I’m not fond of fishing for them while they’re trying to do their business. They need their energy for spawning.

* Great Lakes don’t have steelhead, just lake run rainbows 😀

MTtrout

WKR
Thanks for the info

Haha yes steelhead is what we called them. Its been over 15 years since I fished for them but damn was it fun

People actually target kelts?

Like I said above, if the river you fish is solely made up of hatchery fish have at it but if there are wild fish around it’s time to put the rod away and let them do their thing.
Skykomish 20 years ago chasing brats.
I happened to hook one and line was hissing through the water.
Pretty amazing actually.