Fly Fishing Idaho Steelhead

I am kind of new to fishing for steelhead in Idaho, and wanting to build up my fly boxes before heading out to the Upper Salmon River within the next few weeks. Last year I caught a couple near Stanley, dead drifting egg sucking leeches, but this year I would like to be well rounded on all tactics/flies to fish for them.
I am wondering what kind of nymphs work best for steelhead, and if anyone has a few favorite flies to swing? I've got a new switch rod that I am fired up to use, but I also have nothing against nymphing to get the skunk out.
This year I plan to fish some new water, everything downstream of Stanley to Corn creek.

OP
J
We’re creeping up on April, leave the steelhead alone, it’s spawning time. If it’s just a hatchery run with no wild fish around proceed to catch as many as you want.
I leave the wilds alone, have yet to catch one even. Have any advice for nymphs and other flies to use?

Dirtbag

WKR
I've only fished them in the fall on the Salmon some time ago. We used Squirmies, large stonefly patterns, large princes, carotenes and so on. Enjoy.

Flyjunky

WKR
I leave the wilds alone, have yet to catch one even. Have any advice for nymphs and other flies to use?
Flies don’t really matter. If you’re nymphing just get a fly or two down to their level. Double bead peacock, bead, steelhead Prince, etc, steelhead aren’t picky.

sneaky

"DADDY"
We’re creeping up on April, leave the steelhead alone, it’s spawning time. If it’s just a hatchery run with no wild fish around proceed to catch as many as you want.
Steelhead haven't even made it up this far yet. There's not been a single one caught anywhere near where he's talking as of yet. Unless someone caught the first one today. They're still hammering them down past the Middle Fork at this point. Even Pahsimeroi hasn't had many returns yet. If they aren't physically present they aren't spawning.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Here what is used where I fish.

Nymphs/Wet Flies:
Pat's RubberlegsBrown and Black, #4-8
Mercer's Poxyback GB Hares Ears - #8-14
TB Solitude Stone - #8
Lance's X-May - #16, Brown
Mercer's Gold Bead Biot Epoxy Golden Stone - #8-10

Eggs:
Clown Egg - #4-10
M.C. Redd Reapers
Micro Spawn Eggs - Pink & Salmon Egg
Boles Bazookas - #8

Streamers & Leeches:
Beadhead Crystal Buggers - Any
CH Kiwi Muddlers
Freshwater Clouser - Any

Red Copper John
Prince Nymph

IdahoElk

WKR
I am kind of new to fishing for steelhead in Idaho, and wanting to build up my fly boxes before heading out to the Upper Salmon River within the next few weeks. Last year I caught a couple near Stanley, dead drifting egg sucking leeches, but this year I would like to be well rounded on all tactics/flies to fish for them.
I am wondering what kind of nymphs work best for steelhead, and if anyone has a few favorite flies to swing? I've got a new switch rod that I am fired up to use, but I also have nothing against nymphing to get the skunk out.
This year I plan to fish some new water, everything downstream of Stanley to Corn creek.
Where do you live? I'm in Hailey and Steelhead that area a lot.

MnrGMr3.jpg

Flyjunky

WKR
People actually target kelts?

Like I said above, if the river you fish is solely made up of hatchery fish have at it but if there are wild fish around it’s time to put the rod away and let them do their thing.

MTtrout

WKR
@Thinkingman and @Flyjunky. Tell me more about kelts. When I posted above I must have not noticed it was pacific steelhead 🫣. My reference what directed to Great Lake steelhead I used to do years ago.

With that said I was researching ID steelhead info for second week in April when this popped up. I know this is an old thread but would that be a good time to fish? And is there a good reference site to have a better grasp of hatchery fish vs wild for the watersheds? Thanks