Flattops draw strategy

Looks like our group is headed west again this fall.

Last time we hunted the flattops and brought back one nice bull, the only one we saw killed the entire week out of lots of folks. I tried to get a left over cow tag last time and wasn't able to.

If I apply for a cow tag in the first round will I be able to then buy a bull tag as part of the left over round? If I remember correctly there are basically an unlimited number of bull tags in the flattops.

It seems like if it were that easy more people would do it. Am I missing something?

cnelk

WKR
Looks like our group is headed west again this fall.

Last time we hunted the flattops and brought back one nice bull, the only one we saw killed the entire week out of lots of folks. I tried to get a left over cow tag last time and wasn't able to.

If I apply for a cow tag in the first round will I be able to then buy a bull tag as part of the left over round? If I remember correctly there are basically an unlimited number of bull tags in the flattops.

It seems like if it were that easy more people would do it. Am I missing something?

Have you checked the 2022 Leftover Draw Stats?

OP
F
Have you checked the 2022 Leftover Draw Stats?
Yeah, I guess I'm a little confused by the wording. The EM01101R code is showing a total quota of 1754 with remaining of 925. The total number of tags allocated looks to add up to 829 which would seem to me that 925 tags we unfilled after the second draw.

I wasn't finding anything about not being able to draw a list A tag during the second draw and list B on the primary draw.

OP
F
Hunted there last year and could not believe the amount of people we saw. By far the most crowded units in Colorado I’ve ever hunted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was last out in 2020 and it was incredibly dry. We also couldn't believe the amount of people we saw. Most stayed around camp or walked the heavy trails. Didn't hear a shot the entire time we were there other than the one our one guy took at the one bull killed.

Hope you had decent action despite the crowds.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
They really screwed up those units. It used to be that you could draw an either sex tag, and then they had like 1200 leftover cow tags that were easy to pick up. A few years back they changed up the numbers and now there are a ton of leftover bull tags every year and very few or no cow tags leftover. So ya......you could do what you're thinking.....apply for the cow tag (B tag) and pick up a leftover bull A tag. The hunting hasn't been the same since they made those changes.