Flagging Tape on Public Land

OP
E

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I found an insanely well flagged trail a couple weeks ago. Each piece must have been 18-24 inches long. No idea why they flagged the trail, it was sawed out so well a blind person could follow it
This is one of those situations where it is likely a fencing project, pipeline, survey, trail design, or other administrative use if I had to guess- without knowing anything else about it. Much different than you're typical "breadcrumbs" use, and as I and others have said... Easy to tell the difference.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Tear down Always! Some shcmucks put a bunch of glow in the dark pins to a wallow I frequent sometimes during September, I just want to ask how stupid they are and if they want every one who drives by the logging road to know where it is at?! It’s near a road but not obvious so it’s a great spot but leave a trail right to it and it quickly loses it’s value

I use it at times. Just flagged my trail into my number two elk spot. Combo of broken trees and small strips of flagging gets me in there and out in the dark. 99 percent of the people that elk hunt won’t ever see where it goes, and how I set it up.

This is the only place I use it come to think about it. It’s needed from my point of view. That or I’d have to cut a real trail. Flagging is easier, and I place it in such a way you can’t see it unless you’re on the trail. I also don’t flag the two ends, just the middle sections.

TheTone

WKR
This is one of those situations where it is likely a fencing project, pipeline, survey, trail design, or other administrative use if I had to guess- without knowing anything else about it. Much different than you're typical "breadcrumbs" use, and as I and others have said... Easy to tell the difference.
100% hunters. It began at the end of a pioneered ATV trail. I may hunt the trail myself this year even

Maki35

WKR
I know what OP is referring to. And I hate it too.
I’ve followed a few of these hunters(tape) trails around here. It often leads to a clearing surrounded by more tape with a treestand on a tree or seat/ bucket on the ground.
The tape I pulled aren’t biodegradable (My dad had a roll for emergencies).

Does anyone else have a problem with seeing flagging in the woods. I hate it, and I pull it almost every time. Would it be acceptable to drop plastic trash everywhere you go? With modern technology there is no excuse for polluting the woods.

I think there are times when it is appropriate such as marking a blood trail, trying to meet up with someone with limited communication, or emergency situations. But in these cases... clean up after yourself and place the minimum necessary!

Just curious if others feel the same and what do you do when you find it? I pack it out just like I pack out the other trash that I find in the woods.

If you do this... please STOP!
I pull it down but understand in the thick of things why people might forget it

I generally pull it when I find it. I've flagged a few hundred miles of new road right of way and skid trails. I always used orange tape with black slashes. If I run across solid colored ribbon, I'll take it down.

OP
E

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
100% hunters. It began at the end of a pioneered ATV trail. I may hunt the trail myself this year even
Oh damn, not cool at all! If it's public land I'd probably report it, if they are willing to break regs that blatantly you can bet they break others laws too. I can't stand the entitled attitude that some people take with our public lands!

I had made out a lengthy reply, but figured I'd be nice and not make realunlucky send me a message. 😂

I'll point out. Lastly, there are times timber areas get ribbons out up during hunting season, and I've then came back through and seen it untied and taken back down, only to find out it was the timber company/surveyor who took it down.

Folks aren't the brightest, look at round-a-bouts. Most folks probably on this forum can't drive them correctly, yet we think most folks can tell the difference between tape for a blood trail or not? I doubt that.
I was listening to radio show one morning and the dj said if you really want to see mass confusion watch an ambulance go through a round about with heavy traffic.

IDVortex

WKR
I was listening to radio show one morning and the dj said if you really want to see mass confusion watch an ambulance go through a round about with heavy traffic.
I work for a road department we have 4 in our jurisdiction, I think adding 1 or 2 more in the next 2ish years. But change anything out of the ordinary with them and it's complete chaos.

I use flagging occasionaly when I am working out the best path to put in a new trail (5-6 miles) I follow that with blazes and in the really difficult places - tread with a pulaski. I even put in bridges in places to limit my risk crossing creeks with horses. I spent a few years doing that for the USFS when they supported trails.

Occasionally I encounter flagging of differant ages as I stumble through the jungles. I always figure whoever did that was inexperienced enough to need a way to go home. After a couple years I know my country well enough to know where to go and where not to go. I don't worry about flagging in 4 or 5 million acres. I rarely even see anyone let alone man tracks.