Fix arrow weight variations

well, I'm not one to make assumptions about people so I will not play that game with you.
I was being sarcastic when I made both of my earlier posts, but you clearly didn't get it.
I love how people jump right to sht talking though.

Well there's a lot of arguing going on lately.

All I was stating is the fact that it's rare to get a 300 spine shaft that is actually right at a .300 deflection.

Most everyone anymore has a scale, so they have the ability to weigh stuff, they don't have other things, so they can't measure other factors. Brings them to worrying about the few things they can control. Like 5 gr variation, or .5 degree on fletching.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
5 grain spread is awesome.
10 grain is still manageable. Broadheads always seem to come in 3 gr heavier for me.

there was no argument, or mention of spine on my part, which by the way can vary regardless of weight. none of it matters for hunting purposes anyway. even the slight variation in spine won't be seen to the average shooter inside 50yds if at all. adding weight to the arrow without knowing where it needs to be added is pointless as is worrying about 5 grains. if the OP wants to minimize any variance in arrows, so be it. he just missed a step as do most people. if we want to get technical, OP stated a variance of 1gr in the vanes. how was that achieved? were all 3 (or 4) not the same weight? then you want to spin that arrow? what's the point of weight matching to an out of balance arrow? so, like I said in the beginning of this thread, if you're gonna worry about 5 grains, worry about where it is or don't worry at all.

but what if it's not carbon? what if there was more resin in that batch?

Resin still contributes to the arrow’s resistance to deflection, but you make a good point. If the OP was paying attention to detail, he would sacrifice one arrow from each batch for destructive lab testing.

wapitibob

WKR
He can burn the cut off section and get the resin/glass ratio and determine the modulus. We did it with every batch of glass we got from Gordon. The difference in resin will be more noticeable in the deflection, than in the weight.
If he’s getting anywhere close to 5gr across a doz bare shafts he should probably buy better shafts.

Last edited:
OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
there could be many possibilities, but ended up talking to the manufacturer. Arrows were from a different batch. Just going to trim the inserts down to match weight. Yes it will adjust spine a little. Shouldn't make that much of a difference.