Fix arrow weight variations

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
You’re honestly wasting time. 5 grains will not affect arrow trajectory at all.
You're right I probably am but I got time. Might as well try to make things close as possible. If I was rushing to get to a hunt, absolutely would not care. 5 grains wouldn't make a difference in a hunting scenario. But my next hunt isn't till June. So I might as well mess around and get them close as possible.

Last edited:

H80Hunter

WKR
I agree almost nobody can shoot the difference. But, I’d think you could make up the difference by buying a couple batches of field points. You should be able to find a couple of 101 grainers and a couple 99 grainers. I do this all the time. A lot of broadheads are a couple grains heavy or light. So you stick the heavy ones with the light broadheads and the lighter ones with the heavy broadheads and with very little effort you get very consistent TAW.

WBrim

WKR
I agree almost nobody can shoot the difference. But, I’d think you could make up the difference by buying a couple batches of field points. You should be able to find a couple of 101 grainers and a couple 99 grainers. I do this all the time. A lot of broadheads are a couple grains heavy or light. So you stick the heavy ones with the light broadheads and the lighter ones with the heavy broadheads and with very little effort you get very consistent TAW.
Good on you if you can get it dialed in! More effort and time than I would muster up. Have fun with it.

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
You're right I probably am but I got time. Might as well try to make things close as possible. If I was rushing to get to a hunt, absolutely would not care. 5 grains wouldn't make a difference in a hunting scenario. But my next hunt isn't till June. So I might as well mess around and get them close as possible.
Just put wraps on

Marble

WKR
I read these threads with guys worrying over stuff like this and just shake my head. 5 grains doesn't make a shit of difference.

There are two many threads of guys with analysis paralysis about their arrows. It's not that complicated.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
If you're going to be that obsessive, best to find out where the variance is. Shaft, insert, fletching, glue, nock, head, etc. Taking weight off the front or back will change spine. Next build up, measure all the components separately and see what variances you find.

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
If you're going to be that obsessive, best to find out where the variance is. Shaft, insert, fletching, glue, nock, head, etc. Taking weight off the front or back will change spine. Next build up, measure all the components separately and see what variances you find.
i have weighed the nocks, nock bushings, fletching (which was 1 grain variance total weight), the inserts and point weight. The insert epoxy was about 1 grain of weight after pulling one apart.

The shafts would be the main source of increase weight.

The real problem is likely the spine, not the weight difference.

If you are going to go out into the weeds far enough to worry about the 5 grains, it's likely the spine variation that's a bigger deal. Lighter shafts mean weaker spines almost always. Then, if you are trying to make a lighter spine shaft weigh the same as a heavier shaft by putting weight on the front, you are wearing spine further. None of it matters for hunting accuracy tho.

If it's bothering you that much get some lead shot, glue a pellet into your nock. Or put about 4" of wrap on the lighter shafts.

Jethro

WKR
I like the wrap idea if the 5 grains bothers you. I’d mix up all the arrows so I didn’t know which was heavy or light, not weigh them again, and shoot.

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
The real problem is likely the spine, not the weight difference.

If you are going to go out into the weeds far enough to worry about the 5 grains, it's likely the spine variation that's a bigger deal. Lighter shafts mean weaker spines almost always. Then, if you are trying to make a lighter spine shaft weigh the same as a heavier shaft by putting weight on the front, you are wearing spine further. None of it matters for hunting accuracy tho.

If it's bothering you that much get some lead shot, glue a pellet into your nock. Or put about 4" of wrap on the lighter shafts.
Already have 6" wraps on the back

Because I am cruel sometimes...

OP, have you considered that the heavier arrows are heavier because they contain more carbon, and are therefore stiffer than the lighter arrows, and therefore will have different dynamic spine characteristics, and therefore tune differently?

Because I am cruel sometimes...

OP, have you considered that the heavier arrows are heavier because they contain more carbon, and are therefore stiffer than the lighter arrows, and therefore will have different dynamic spine characteristics, and therefore tune differently?
but what if it's not carbon? what if there was more resin in that batch?

87TT

WKR
I tried cutting some arrows 2" shorter once and could barely if at all tell the difference in impact on the target out to 60.

well, I'm not one to make assumptions about people so I will not play that game with you.
I was being sarcastic when I made both of my earlier posts, but you clearly didn't get it.
I love how people jump right to sht talking though.