Fix arrow weight variations

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
How does one fix arrow weight variations?

I order 6 arrow to try. The build turn out great. First set came out to 553-554.

Recently I order a a second set of 6 built them exactly same. Weight inserts and cut to same length, and everything to same weight. New finished weights 558-559.

Just trying to get my variance with 2 grains if I can.

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
The inserts are already glued in. May need to nock them out and sand

Every batch of arrows has a slight gpi variance from one grouped batch (box) to the next. If you order in dozens rather than 6 you can get them all closer. Otherwise, on each box they state the average arrow weight. You can mark that number down and some vendors will try to send you the box that is closest to the number you give them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
How does one fix arrow weight variations?

I order 6 arrow to try. The build turn out great. First set came out to 553-554.

Recently I order a a second set of 6 built them exactly same. Weight inserts and cut to same length, and everything to same weight. New finished weights 558-559.

Just trying to get my variance with 2 grains if I can.
Are you shooting a difference in the two different weights for your hunting ranges? If not, then find something else to worry about.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
If you used hot melt rather than epoxy it should be easy to get the out and grind off a few grains. If epoxy, it could be much tougher. If you wanted to add a few grains to the lighter ones there are a few ways to do that.

if you're going to worry about weight you need to know where the weight is. front, back etc. you could cut the arrow down a touch, you could change nocks, you could change fletching etc. you could put the lighter head on the heavier arrow also.
after you cut a shaft, before you fit any components you should weigh the arrow. from there you can address the weight variance. one thing no one ever considers is glue weight.

I'm a little confused, you said you weighed everything, but then it came upto a different weight? Too much glue?

Or you assumed same weight on components?

I wouldn't worry about it if it were me. I'll hunt with 125 and 100 gr heads, at 40 I put another 3/4 yard on. 5 gr variation is at best 2 fps, you can cause that with backwall tension.

Elkhntr08

WKR
You’re sweating 5 grains + or -?
Your amount of glue can very almost that much. Glue or epoxy, there’s no way to get them exactly the same. Shafts can be off by 3 grains.
Unless you can shoot up there with a HooterShooter, find something else to worry about.

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
Everything I have used is from the same batch except for the shaft and insert components that came with.

I measure the arrow shafts to make sure they are the same. I cut and weight the inserts exactly the same as the old one.
I have a hard time believing epoxy could add 5 grains? But maybe I'm wrong

vanes vary +- 2. glue will definitely make a difference. it may not be just up front, vanes and inserts, pretty much impossible to get it perfect. I'm sure we all have tried. when you say measure the shafts do you mean weight or length?
from someone who shoots long range, it isn't going to matter. sway will be the enemy at long range and if your shots are inside 50, you won't see a big difference with 10 gr.
if your shafts are complete pull the nock and cut a blade width with off the back.

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
Well I tip one apart. Removed all the epoxy. Only remove about 1 grain from the arrow.

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
vanes vary +- 2. glue will definitely make a difference. it may not be just up front, vanes and inserts, pretty much impossible to get it perfect. I'm sure we all have tried. when you say measure the shafts do you mean weight or length?
from someone who shoots long range, it isn't going to matter. sway will be the enemy at long range and if your shots are inside 50, you won't see a big difference with 10 gr.
if your shafts are complete pull the nock and cut a blade width with off the back.
Problem with that is I glue in nock bushing in the back

WBrim

WKR
I can certainly understand wanting to set yourself up for success the very best you can, but I know I can’t shoot that difference, and I expect few people really can. But, I don’t know?

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
How much difference would taking 5 grains off the inserts be? I understand it would minimally change foc. Anything else?

on paper, FOC, spine if you want to split hairs. in real life, nothing will change. that's something we all agree on. you'll, probably end up changing everything before hunting season anyway lol.

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
on paper, FOC, spine if you want to split hairs. in real life, nothing will change. that's something we all agree on. you'll, probably end up changing everything before hunting season anyway lol.
Most likely