First Wyoming elk hunt….projectile selection

taskswap

WKR
OK I'll be that guy. You are absolutely overthinking it. Any of those rounds through a heart or lung will kill an elk. I switched from a 30-06 to a 150gr ELD-X in 7mm-08 rem which is about 20% less energy than most of what you've listed, and you're aiming at a target area bigger than most steel target gongs. 4 shots, 3 elk, so far (I pulled one, my fault). You'll be fine.

OP
Mike D Texas
OK I'll be that guy. You are absolutely overthinking it. Any of those rounds through a heart or lung will kill an elk. I switched from a 30-06 to a 150gr ELD-X in 7mm-08 rem which is about 20% less energy than most of what you've listed, and you're aiming at a target area bigger than most steel target gongs. 4 shots, 3 elk, so far (I pulled one, my fault). You'll be fine.

Yep, I said in my opening paragraph that I was probably overthinking it as I tend to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
the Terminal Ascent is the one I would choose if it shoots a great group. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a big bull on quartering too right on the shoulder at 600 with that bullet. Assuming it hits where aiming it will stay together and punch through.

The bottom left and right are 200grn Terminal Ascent from my .300 Win Mag. 2984fps.

Bottom left was shot down at a steep angle through a mule deer buck. went in through the right shoulder, out the stomach into hind leg and the bullet was in its calf.

Bottom right was shot into a sand bank at 100 yards.

Both only shed 5-10 grns of weight.

That is a super TOUGH round.

The top is 180 Barnes TTSX. Went through a Dall Sheep from ass to shoulder. Stilll weighs 180!

Attachments

• IMG_7945.jpg
    IMG_7945.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7947.jpg
    IMG_7947.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 4