First timers first spook / encounter story

GhostBass25

Lil-Rokslider
Well. To start off, this was awesome and lit the fire even more. On the second hand, I’m devastated. This is my first year turkey hunting and the story of my very first encounter.

Started the season doing what seemed like chasing a dream. Public land in my county of WV definitely seems lacklustre compared to the others. There’s birds for sure on the WMAs, just not many and they didn’t wanna work with you.

Went out this morning to the same WMA, nothing. Not a gobble at first light, granted I know I could’ve picked a better location but, I wanted to see if there were any birds. There was not, so instead of going back to the other area of the WMA I’ve been trying for 4-5 outings now. I go a different route.

My buddy told me the other day I could go to his papas property and hunt. Today was my day, picked the phone up, got the yes. There I went. Knew the property hardly at all, we’ve coyote hunted up there once or twice. Walkin around the trails and I’m on the very edge of the property line and I hear the faintest gobble roll through the mountains. I pulled out the pot call give him a couple yelps, holdin it right above the fence line. Answered no doubt, i was in the game.

At this moment i turned around and got set up where i could barely see over the ridge the fence sits on. We played the game for about 15 minutes. Mind you, first year. self taught, youtube and you guys and other forums are all ive had. I remembered everyone saying DONT OVER CALL. SCRATCHING KILLS BIRDS. I put that to work, and i knew they were coming my way fast. In silence i hear not one but two, to my left maybe 80 yards. Gave em another yelp. They answered and out of the foliage they came.

This was the moment i first laid eyes on a wild turkey. And it's two of them. They gobble again i give one last soft yelp and they were headed right for me. At this point i felt my heart beat in my eyes.
They were lined up perfectly, if it was legal to kill two in the same day i couldve done it for my very first time. Both strutting. Fully fanned out. But i waited with my bead on his neck to separate from his buddy. I had a shot opportunity but i think i was mesmerised. Finally seeing one, i waited for the perfect shot and he was Goin to my left, I turned and my barrel nudged a branch and there I was made.

Down the ridge they went. They were answering about 10 minutes later but it was close to 1 when we have to be out in WV. Called it a day & I was defeated but also gained some much needed confidence. I was hooked before but after this, man. I haven’t felt that alive in a long time. I absolutely fell in love today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Well. To start off, this was awesome and lit the fire even more. On the second hand, I’m devastated. This is my first year turkey hunting and the story of my very first encounter.

Started the season doing what seemed like chasing a dream. Public land in my county of WV definitely seems lacklustre compared to the others. There’s birds for sure on the WMAs, just not many and they didn’t wanna work with you.

Went out this morning to the same WMA, nothing. Not a gobble at first light, granted I know I could’ve picked a better location but, I wanted to see if there were any birds. There was not, so instead of going back to the other area of the WMA I’ve been trying for 4-5 outings now. I go a different route.

My buddy told me the other day I could go to his papas property and hunt. Today was my day, picked the phone up, got the yes. There I went. Knew the property hardly at all, we’ve coyote hunted up there once or twice. Walkin around the trails and I’m on the very edge of the property line and I hear the faintest gobble roll through the mountains. I pulled out the pot call give him a couple yelps, holdin it right above the fence line. Answered no doubt, i was in the game.

At this moment i turned around and got set up where i could barely see over the ridge the fence sits on. We played the game for about 15 minutes. Mind you, first year. self taught, youtube and you guys and other forums are all ive had. I remembered everyone saying DONT OVER CALL. SCRATCHING KILLS BIRDS. I put that to work, and i knew they were coming my way fast. In silence i hear not one but two, to my left maybe 80 yards. Gave em another yelp. They answered and out of the foliage they came.

This was the moment i first laid eyes on a wild turkey. And it's two of them. They gobble again i give one last soft yelp and they were headed right for me. At this point i felt my heart beat in my eyes.
They were lined up perfectly, if it was legal to kill two in the same day i couldve done it for my very first time. Both strutting. Fully fanned out. But i waited with my bead on his neck to separate from his buddy. I had a shot opportunity but i think i was mesmerised. Finally seeing one, i waited for the perfect shot and he was Goin to my left, I turned and my barrel nudged a branch and there I was made.

Down the ridge they went. They were answering about 10 minutes later but it was close to 1 when we have to be out in WV. Called it a day & I was defeated but also gained some much needed confidence. I was hooked before but after this, man. I haven’t felt that alive in a long time. I absolutely fell in love today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It`s really something, isn`t it? Working the bird, playing the game. Using a little woodsmanship at times. Nothing quite like it. Can`t understand those that want to snipe a turkey at 60 yards. Then again, I`m older, not the meat hunter I was years ago, and pulling a trigger doesn`t quite mean as much as it did when I was younger.