First Time New Zealand

BS2022

FNG
My experience so far is that I started Hunting about 4 years ago and have averaged about 25-30 days of hunting a year + 5 years of military experience with a few survival schools. I have the time, free flights and a few penny’s and I want to hunt velvet deer with a bow more than once a year for a weeks. I’m just an average dude and not some super back country athlete, but I have all the gear I need and in okay shape.

I just want to know am I in over my head by going to New Zealand for a DIY hunt by myself. I don’t want to go and have a completely unproductive and poor experience if it requires more than I am capable. Thanks.

Phaseolus

WKR
I’ll reply with the perspective of someone who has never hunted New Zealand but has spent 8 months there over a bunch of different visits. I know that is not what you’re asking but I’ve hiked a climbed it a fair amount. The New Zealand bush is very steep and the vegetation can be real hard to push through at times, probably tougher than most of us are used to. It can be really wet. And off the hunting topic New Zealand has some of the nicest people in the world and as good mtns and scenery as you can find anywhere with incredible diversity of landform, ocean to mtn, subtropical to alpine glaciers. All of this is in a small geographic area. Hopefully some other users will respond and give you actual DYI information. If you have the time and the money I say go and find out. I’d move there if I could.

Weldor

WKR
Was there along time ago, before the earthquake. South island was great. People are friendly. There is a few rokslide guys on here who have good write -ups on the forums. Check those out. Try to find a good outfitter and give them a call.