First time backcountry hunt

Scoot

WKR
Yeah, don’t listen to them. Did the little engine that could keep saying to himself, it’s not going to happen, it’s not going to happen? If you work your ass off, it can be done. Ask me how I know?
Go in believing you can get it done! Work your ass off and have fun! Don't be too bummed if you don't kill your first year. Simple as that.

I am also a Floridian and went on my first diy backcountry archery hunt last month in Montana. Me and 3 buddies (all first timer Floridians) did 7 days in some pretty gnarly country. Steep and hard to traverse. We underestimated the physicality of it but all things considered we managed pretty well. There was one trail through both valleys around a mtn range so most of our time was spent off trail. Trailhead was at 6200' and we were hunting 8500-10000'. Camped in 2 diff locations, both about 5 miles in and 2000' up in different directions from the truck. Hiking 10-12 miles per day, lots of climbing and descending. I have a good cardio base so I managed OK but my buddies started to fall apart physically towards the end. Like another guy said above ^ it takes a special kind of friend. So true! Mentality is a huge factor out there.

We had an incredible time. Killing an elk would've been icing on the cake... I'm hooked - heading back to the same unit in 2 weeks with the rifle.

Do you research beforehand. Cardio. Cardio. Cardio. Have 3-4 game plans in place. Stay positive. Embrace the suck. Enjoy the views and time with your friends.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
People have touched on it but being in mountain shape is absolutely critical. I brought a friend out for spring bear this year in Idaho. Figured he runs marathons he should be ok. Wearing a 65lb pack and walking up Miles of steep terrain broke him on day 2. Google earth does no justice to how big the mountains are. Leg strength and endurance will be important. Also backcountry on a first trip is probably not wise. You can end up working your butt off and getting way into an area with no animals and waste a whole hunt. Maybe you get lucky. Once you know where animals are it is a fun way to hunt and test yourself. Good luck and enjoy all of your planning.

fatlander

WKR
Crawl, walk, run

Crawl: Backpack with the guys you’re going to hunt with around home. Pick the absolute shittiest routes in the worst weather. That’ll be a good baseline on if you’re compatible to hunt the backcountry together.

Walk: day hunt from a base camp. You don’t know what you don’t know. Finding no elk 5 miles from the truck is easier to stomach when you didn’t haul camp in and set up camp. Stay mobile until you find elk.

Run: Have spike camping gear with you in the off chance you do find elk and want to camp closer to them. In all likelihood, this step of back packing in for elk will be year 2 or 3

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk