First rifle build , need a little help

Tmask764

FNG
I finally convinced myself to start a project build. Since I am a huge fan of the quarter bore I decided to purchase a Mack bros action for a 257 weatherby build.
Next step I contacted hart for a barrel 26” and pondering the 1 in 9 twist ( any thoughts on this?)

Barrel weight I would like to be a similar to a sendero weight or style not a heavy bull but not a sporter. I plan on having it fluted with 6 flutes.
This rifle will be shooting most likely 100 grain hammers or Barnes 100 grain Ttsx used almost exclusively for white tails and mule deer.

Any input would be great, just note sure of all the steps but was kinda thinking of sending hart the action and have them just install the barrel. , Thoughts or other options?

DuckDogDr

WKR
I would go with a faster twist barrel. You’re limiting yourself to what bullets you can shoot.
Newer barrel technologies and powders them 257s really shine with higher BC bullets

I have a 1:7 twist and it stacks the 133’s tight like prom night.

Gunsmith walked it out to 1k after he built it and wanted to know if I would let him have it and he start me another build…. Nope

Torque

FNG
I have had 8 custom rifles built and, as you would expect, have learned quite a bit about what I want in a rifle and how I want the parts configured to accommodate my druthers. I reload for all of my rifles and I am assuming from your post that you do also. So, here is one man's advice. I am sure other's opinions will vary from mine.

1. Cartridge decision: 257 WBY is a great cartridge. It is a real barrel burner and WBY cartridges aren't designed for superb accuracy. You may want to consider a 25-06/ 25-06AI if you are looking for the highest speed you can achieve with a standard shoulder vs. a double radius. Quality -06 brass can be had from Lapua, Peterson, etc. to neck down. I also have a 25 Creedmoor that is the single most accurate rifle I own. I am not dogging your choice, just putting it out there.

2. Once you decide on a cartridge, what I do is take what my reloading dies will produce and have a reamer made that allows for no more than .003"/.004" growth/stretch in any direction (even neck to base) based on your resized cases. This has drastically helped with my brass life. Most standard chambers are .007-.010" larger than the case. Have your smith design the reamer for you based on the above measurements and on the bullets that you are wanting to shoot. This will give you optimal bullet seating for you preferred bullet not just OAL but for your preferred bullet seating depth.

3. Next is your action and barrel choice. There are so many good manufacturers out there for both, it is hard to make a bad choice. American Rifle Company, Lone Peak Arms, Defiance, Kelby, Zermat, etc. The only decision to make is if you want a CRF action or a push feed. I have had very good performance from Lothar-Walter, Bartlein and Proof barrels. If you have a dedicated gunsmith, it may be wise to use what he is most confident smithing for you in both barrel and action. I use a 1:7.5" twist in both my 25-06 and 25 Creedmoor, but I wanted to shoot the 130g class bullets from Berger and Blackjack bullets. If you do not plan on shooting those weights, it may not be necessary, but i do not think it would hurt.

4. Stock choice. Make sure you are ticky with this, as this is what makes the rifle comfortable for you. If you hunt in the cold and wear a jacket, make sure your LOP is designed with that extra layer dimension in mind. Again, check with your smith about the details. Some smiths prefer to install their own pillars, bedding, etc. vs. using pre installed parts. Really consider what type of bottom metal you want to use. BDL type, DBM, AiCS, etc. I prefer Hawkins Hunter DBM. I really like the Remington DBM, as they are completely flush with the bottom of the rifle, but they are very hard to find.

5. Your trigger choice will depend on your action choice. I prefer Trigger Tech, but that is a very personal choice.

This may not be the best way to do things, but it has turned our very well for me. Especially on the reloading side of things.

Last edited:

Buzzsaw

FNG
if you dont cut corners and buy the best components available. budget $5,000. You will hear you can do it for $3,000.....Budget $5,000 + $2500 for optic.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Been there and done that. Had 2 ..257 Wea, 25-06, all were a little to a lot finicky. Still own the 25.06. I would build a .270 Winchester with a 22-24” Krieger barrel, normally not finicky, accurate, and low recoil. I still like my 300 mags with 180-200 grain bullets but the .270 sure gets used a lot.