First recurve suggestions

I have shot compound for a while now and rented a recurve bow at my range recently when my hunting bow was getting restrung. Needless to say I am hooked and am looking to get a budget recurve for myself for Christmas this year. It looks like the Samick Sage and the PSE Nighthawk are the best options in the sub $200 category. Does anyone have any experience with either of these bows? I have also heard online they are the same bow but I cant confirm that. Thanks in advance for the advice.

I personally started off shooting a Galaxy (formerly Samick) Sage with 35 lb limbs for a few months then switched to 45 lb limbs for hunting. Many of the popular entry-level takedown recurves are virtually identical (Galaxy/Samick Sage, OMP Smoky Mountain, PSE Nighthawk, Southwest Spyder).

A Sage (or clone) is just fine, but you might consider spending a little bit more and piecing together an entry-level ILF bow to give yourself more options on limb weight/length/material/quality. You could pair a Galaxy Explorer riser with whatever cheap set of Olympic-style limbs strikes your fancy for around $200 total and have much more versatility than any of the aforementioned non-ILF beginner bows can offer.

Kai Truax

WKR
I personally started off shooting a Galaxy (formerly Samick) Sage with 35 lb limbs for a few months then switched to 45 lb limbs for hunting. Many of the popular entry-level takedown recurves are virtually identical (Galaxy/Samick Sage, OMP Smoky Mountain, PSE Nighthawk, Southwest Spyder).

A Sage (or clone) is just fine, but you might consider spending a little bit more and piecing together an entry-level ILF bow to give yourself more options on limb weight/length/material/quality. You could pair a Galaxy Explorer riser with whatever cheap set of Olympic-style limbs strikes your fancy for around $200 total and have much more versatility than any of the aforementioned non-ILF beginner bows can offer.
This. I started with the galaxy sage and bought a Hoyt satori later.

OP
S
Thanks for the advice everyone. I looked at the Black Hunter but decided to go with a more reputable brand. I ended up ordering a PSE Nighthawk 30lbs. I liked the look of the wood more than the Samick Sage. The Galaxy riser and ILF looks like a legit combo but I really want a more traditional looking wooden bow. If I decide to get into competition I will probably look at that route though.

Rob5589

WKR
Southwest Archery is definitely worth a look. I have two and they are solid shooters.

TX_Diver

WKR
Call RMS Gear and see what their entry level recurves are. They have a program that you can trade in limbs for a small fee so you can start with something light then bump up a bit as you go, or change lengths, etc.

Figure out what you like and then as you learn you'll know what you want in a more expensive bow.

ScottinPA

WKR
Another vote for the Black Hunter or a TopArchery recurve. Both can be found on Amazon cheap. Keep poundage low and work on form. For reference when I went back to stick n string I was shooting an 82lb compound but started with a 38lb recurve and shot it a lot then eventually moved up in draw weight.

OP
S
Another vote for the Black Hunter or a TopArchery recurve. Both can be found on Amazon cheap. Keep poundage low and work on form. For reference when I went back to stick n string I was shooting an 82lb compound but started with a 38lb recurve and shot it a lot then eventually moved up in draw weight.

I went ahead and got the PSE Nighthawk in 30lb. I am shooting a 60 lb compound right now and was comfortable with a 30 lb trad I rented at my local range. I also got a Rest, Stringer, T Square, nocks, nock pliers and a rest. Do you know anything else I will need to get set up? I am going to get finger tabs at the range when I go as I want to try them on and feel them out etc. My wife was adamant I need to wait until Christmas and has it wrapped under the tree so its the waiting game for now...

ScottinPA

WKR
I went ahead and got the PSE Nighthawk in 30lb. I am shooting a 60 lb compound right now and was comfortable with a 30 lb trad I rented at my local range. I also got a Rest, Stringer, T Square, nocks, nock pliers and a rest. Do you know anything else I will need to get set up? I am going to get finger tabs at the range when I go as I want to try them on and feel them out etc. My wife was adamant I need to wait until Christmas and has it wrapped under the tree so its the waiting game for now...
I think you have the equipment covered. Research bareshaft tuning and look at a spine calculator (3 Rivers website has one) or maybe the local range can help you with arrows. Best of luck on your journey.

OP
S
I think you have the equipment covered. Research bareshaft tuning and look at a spine calculator (3 Rivers website has one) or maybe the local range can help you with arrows. Best of luck on your journey.

Thanks for the heads up on the arrows. I have about a dozen 340 spine carbon arrows from when I bought my hunting bow on CL but it looks like those are going to be way too stiff.

Thanks for the heads up on the arrows. I have about a dozen 340 spine carbon arrows from when I bought my hunting bow on CL but it looks like those are going to be way too stiff.
I wouldn't worry much about arrow spine at this point, especially if you're planning to eventually increase draw weight. Just use your 340's (if they're long enough to stay on the rest/shelf) while you're practicing form and working up your draw weight. You can still get consistent field point groups even with a severely underspined or overspined arrow.

If your 340's are too short and you need to order new arrows, use the dynamic spine calculator on 3 Rivers Archery's website to estimate what static spine you'll need for your hunting setup. 400-500 spine is pretty common for a typical hunting setup (40-50# DW, 28-29" DL, 10-12 gpp). Whatever you choose, I would leave the shafts full length for now and secure the inserts with heat reversible glue ("hot melt") so you have room to trim and adjust front end weight when you tune them for broadheads down the road.

Last edited:

TX_Diver

WKR
The 3 rivers spine dynamic spine calculator matches up pretty well for my bows.

If nothing else it should get you close enough that you can change your field point weight to fine tune it.

Edit - The hot melt is definitely a good option. I've been using kimsha at the recommendation of RMS gear and have been happy with it so far. Super easy to remove components and change inserts, etc.

Muskykris

Lil-Rokslider
Bear Grizzly. What a great starter Trad Bow!

You serious? I just pm’d a trad guy on AT asking if the grizzly is a good starter bow.

I bought a mint mid 70s green 40# a few years back and a 2020 35# last year.

they have just been resting on top of one of my mounts.

thinking about starting to shoot the 35 and try to take a deer within the next few years