First longbow suggestions

Mpaschke7

FNG
Rmsg has the best selection. I found a used pronghorn longbow there when I started, wish I never sold it.

Otter86

FNG
X2 on rms. Shoot several and see what you like the best. Start out with light poundage.

trdhtr

FNG
Hey fellas, I'm looking to get my first longbow and start hunting with traditional gear.

I have decided on a longbow over recurve, I have no local shops around that carry any traditional bows so the try before I buy is unfortunately not easily done. 2.5 hrs is the closest I have found with a very limited selection.

So I'm up in the air on what I should get, I was thinking of the old mountain mesa, it seems to be viewed favorably. I plan to shoot a fair amount for leisure time as well as hunt whitetail with it. Thinking 40- 45# should be about right to do both.

Budget for a complete set up would be around 800$ I'm not opposed to used, and would actually prefer it if they hold the value vs the initial depreciation from new in the case that I don't (stick) with it...

What are some good sites and other bows you would recommend I look at?

If I overlooked the same questions in a thread feel free to post but I didn't see one with a quick search.
Omega LB in the classified section. A very good starter LB.

I was in your shoes back in February. I ended up getting a #40 Black Hunter and after a month with it I ordered a #45 Toelke Whistler.

I love my Toelke Whistler.

I’m currently on the list to get a Big Jim ThunderChild.

Beendare

WKR
I dont think you can beat those cheap ILF starter bows On Ebay and such. Cheap, adjustable, versatile.
You can learn to shoot on light limbs…then bump up in weight with a multitude of ILF limb options As cheap as $60.
Plus, if you decide to sell it you can recoup 80% of the initial cost- resale value is high On these.
Not so with a custom…..some of those get 60% used.

Then, after shooting for a while you will have an idea of what bow you are going to gravitate to. Ask others to shoot their setups. Try short and long …..recurves and longbows.

I don’t know one guy that bought a first bow and still shoots it.

Tcatt

FNG
The black hunter longbow or recurve on Amazon is about $100, and you can get different limbs at different poundage’s. They are awesome shooters and a great bow to learn with.

Solitude

WKR
One of my first was a 64” Poison Dart Longbow , then I bought a second as a back up. Great quality RD longbow with reasonable lead times and they don’t get better than Buddy.

Wrench

WKR
Where are you located? I have a pile of custom bows and would happily let anyone fick some arrows to see what they are spending their $$ on.

Of my pile, my Whistler is my favorite. It is a 2 piece and simply excellent for hunting.

Last elk season I carried a ilf rig made up of Uukha irbis limbs on a white feather lark and found it to be very effective in putting arrows where I told it to.

The suggestion of an ilf as a starter is a good one as you can get a rig cheap and swap limbs in seconds. There's so many great bows and they're all slightly different from each other. There's no "best" just best for you.....today.

Beendare

WKR
I would get a cheap ($100-200) internet special about 30# to learn on..,then later bump up in weight. By that t8me you will have shot a few other bows ( guys are good about that) and you will know what you want…..there are a lot of variations

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I would get a cheap ($100-200) internet special about 30# to learn on..,then later bump up in weight. By that t8me you will have shot a few other bows ( guys are good about that) and you will know what you want…..there are a lot of variations
30 year trad shooter here and agree with this. I have a stable of high end bows but flying to TX next week for hogs with my $99 Black Hunter. These bows are rock solid and never cease to amaze me in their quality. As good of a lot of the $3-$700 US bows. Seriously, buy this bow. It will always be good for a backup if nothing else. If you are an "adequate tool" guy not caught up in looks you could use this forever.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
Another Plus with the Black Hunter is they're so cheap you can try changing things you wouldn't on a more expensive bow

Don't like the grip, take to it with files sandpaper.

Feel like learning to spray a camo pattern, go for it.

Want to dress it up a bit, add some limbsations in whatever pattern tickles your fancy