First longbow suggestions

Wvroach

WKR
Hey fellas, I'm looking to get my first longbow and start hunting with traditional gear.

I have decided on a longbow over recurve, I have no local shops around that carry any traditional bows so the try before I buy is unfortunately not easily done. 2.5 hrs is the closest I have found with a very limited selection.

So I'm up in the air on what I should get, I was thinking of the old mountain mesa, it seems to be viewed favorably. I plan to shoot a fair amount for leisure time as well as hunt whitetail with it. Thinking 40- 45# should be about right to do both.

Budget for a complete set up would be around 800$ I'm not opposed to used, and would actually prefer it if they hold the value vs the initial depreciation from new in the case that I don't (stick) with it...

What are some good sites and other bows you would recommend I look at?

If I overlooked the same questions in a thread feel free to post but I didn't see one with a quick search.

dlee56

WKR
Look at RMS for a used. If you want new Poison Dart Bows makes a great longbow and pretty cheap for a custom bow. About $800 for full custom.

RMS or BigJims. I just got deep into the trad game. I started with a 20lb and a 55lb. I went out and bought a 35lb Bear Kodiak Magnum and could not be happier. Trad is a challenge and feels very different than compound imo. Id start with a cheaper 35ish lb and once you have your form down then splurge for the bow you want.

TX_Diver

WKR
Look at RMS for a used. If you want new Poison Dart Bows makes a great longbow and pretty cheap for a custom bow. About $800 for full custom.

Agree on both of those.

Only hesitation would be to start with something inexpensive and figure out what you like/don't like. See if there are local clubs around you. There are a surprising amount of traditional archery clubs near me in WI even though none of the local shops carry much. RMS Gear is great. I placed an order with them Monday around lunch and it will arrive tomorrow.

Getting a light (35-40lb) OMM and putting your name on Buddy's list at the same time might be a good idea too.

Roam_USA

FNG
Toelke Whip, Dan is one of the best Bowyers in the world hands down. He’s at the top of his game/craft right now. Shoot one next to any other longbow and you’ll see the difference.

MCR

FNG
Look at the classifieds on stickbow.com leather wall. Tons of good used bows there.

I have nothing but good things to say about my St Patrick Lake Pacific Styk. Wait times are much longer now than they were 12 months ago.

Btaylor

WKR
Truly loving my Stalker ACS longbow. Checked the site and there arent any stock longbows around your budget. There are several recurves between $8-900. Might want to give South a call and and maybe do a test drive to see if it fits you even if you wait a while to order one or watch for a used one.

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
Might be a little heavy but I might be interested in selling a 54@28” Whip.. the grip just doesn’t suit me.

iashow

WKR
RMS Gear or The Footed Shaft if looking for a used bow.
I'm shooting a Wengerd Lolo, and it is awesome.
Have always heard good things about Black Widow and Stalker too.

Aaron W

Lil-Rokslider
There are lots of great bows in that price range to be had both new and used.

I will agree with others above, Poison Dart longbows are great and Buddy is the man. I have a 64" Poison Dart.

Dan Toelke's bows are great as well. You would likely have to buy used for your price range. I have had multiple Whips and you can't go wrong with one of those.

I also have a Black Canyon longbow by Mike Hays. I'm not sure of his current prices or wait time. I love shooting and hunting with that bow.

Good luck finding one (or 2...3...maybe 6) that you enjoy to shoot. Traditional archery and longbows are a blast!

flytrue

FNG
I've had a 64" Old Mountain Mesa for about a year now and like it. It's my first longbow. I pull 40 lbs on it. Last year it took out a 300 lb black bear. I'm trying for a pig now.

Hey fellas, I'm looking to get my first longbow and start hunting with traditional gear.

I have decided on a longbow over recurve, I have no local shops around that carry any traditional bows so the try before I buy is unfortunately not easily done. 2.5 hrs is the closest I have found with a very limited selection.

So I'm up in the air on what I should get, I was thinking of the old mountain mesa, it seems to be viewed favorably. I plan to shoot a fair amount for leisure time as well as hunt whitetail with it. Thinking 40- 45# should be about right to do both.

Budget for a complete set up would be around 800$ I'm not opposed to used, and would actually prefer it if they hold the value vs the initial depreciation from new in the case that I don't (stick) with it...

What are some good sites and other bows you would recommend I look at?

If I overlooked the same questions in a thread feel free to post but I didn't see one with a quick search.
Really hard to beat a Three Rivers Tomahawk longbow for all around performance and value.

BWlongbow

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot longbows for a while now and have owned a ones from a few bowyers. For a traditional longbow the Howard Hill and Great Northern bows shoot good but do have some hand shock and are very quiet with heavy arrows. The Black Widow longbow is one of the fastest longbows that I have owned but even with heavy arrows it is a little noisy. If one prefers a short bow the Shrew Classic Hunter II bow is a good shooting bow and has adequate speed and is quiet with heavy arrow.

Some great options listed above. For beginners looking to test the waters, I always recommend the October Mountain Ozark longbow. These bows coming out of Korea are a great value, and while sticking with US made custom bows is the best option, these are a great shooting entry level bow to get started with. Prodcution bows at this price pont tend to be overbuilt, but I find this makes them super stable shooters that allow guys new to the single string to get proficient really quickly.

If you would rather spend the money right of the gate for a US made longbow, I would look for a used Boice Liberty longbow or any of the othr bowers mentioned above,. I personally prefer quiet stable longbows, over speedy longbows, which puts the Liberty longbows at the top of my list.