First Lite 2014 line

Looks very nice...I like the looks of the FL setup for sure, def worth looking into.

I'm not overly concerned about camo, does it come in solid colors too?

I am a solids guy too, can't wait to get mine. The jacket has been awesome and these pants will be great as well.

The picture in the 2014 First Lite Catalog shows them in Dry Earth. That would be my preference as well. I found the PDF to the catalog via a link somewhere here on Rokslide. Anyone remember where? Luke, if you want the catalog PM your email address and I can send it to you.

http://issuu.com/rodgesa/docs/2013_fl_catalog_issuu

Looks like they will have solids, added green for some of the items too. Would be nice if they had a grey for some of the wool as well.
Yes on the grey! I like the Dry Earth, but I'd really like to see an additional gray option. Mule Deer grey.. ;) I personally don't use green much, unless it is like the Foliage or Alpha green which is a greyish green.

I really like the Dry Earth color. The First Lite outerwear is Legit! Plus they have some sweet stuff coming down the pipeline. Like I've said before, they listen to there customers and make quality clothing.

Last edited:
I really like the Dry Earth. The First Lite outerwear is Legit! Plus they have some sweet stuff coming down the pipeline. Like I've said before, they listen to there customers and make quality clothing.
I am with you. The Dry Earth is good stuff (I have a ton of it), it would just be nice to see a grey in addition to, not instead of.

The Northbranch jacket is brand new and probably only a few guys have it yet. However, from your intended use I think you would be better using the Stormtight set. While the Northbranch has a good DWR coating, its not rain gear, and First Lite would be the first to tell you that. It would hold up well to damp conditions, but get a steady rain fall and its time for the Stormtight.

The video said the Northbranch was waterPROOF and windProof.

The video said the Northbranch was waterPROOF and windProof.
Yes, but its not going to hold up to a long term deluge like a true rain jacket would and it does not have a hood. I am testing a pile of soft shells, including the Northbranch jacket. I have had it all of maybe 3 days now, while it may be a great weather barrier it would never replace true rain gear, at least for me. It's a burly tough jacket and I'll know more after I can get it out this spring. It is a fully taped jacket, but I am pretty sure even the guys at First Lite would not promote this an alternative to rain gear, its just a good weather fighting tool for your kit. More to come once I can get some real field time in it.

None of the soft shells I am testing would ever replace any of my rain gear.. For whatever that is worth. ;)
I'm all for more solid! But a unique camo pattern would be sweet also!
I keep hearing rumors of this.. ;)

Last edited:
I wasn't debating you on which was more waterproof. I carried the Stormtight on every hunt last year. Not only is it super waterproof it's also very durable and quiet for rain gear! I will be adding the pants for sure this season
Understood, just wanted Hawkeye to better understand the differences between the two. ;)

Yeah they put a stretch material in the crotch area for better movement and I believe they changed the ripstop to make them more durable.

Can you confirm? I was actually talking w/ Casey at FL and he didn't seem to think the 14 Kanab was any different than the 13. I've been considering the Kanab but had concerns w/ some of the durability issues expressed over the last couple seasons.

Can you confirm? I was actually talking w/ Casey at FL and he didn't seem to think the 14 Kanab was any different than the 13. I've been considering the Kanab but had concerns w/ some of the durability issues expressed over the last couple seasons.

Just talked with them yesterday and I guess they pulled the plug on the stretchy material so the 14' Kanab will be the exact same as the 13'.

So I'm still nervous about the question of durability of the pants but I am stoked about the rest of the line. I'm going to pull the trigger on the full line this year.

Back