First Lite 2014 line

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just watched this video again. I thought I wanted to get a set of the North Branch stuff when the jacket came out, but now I'm thinking that I want to get a set of the Boundary Stormtight when the pants come out....decisions, decisions.

I'm a big fan of softshells for the strech/durability factor, but it looks like those stormtight pants are pretty burly and also have quite a bit of flex. Is the jacket the same way? I don't have much familiarity with high-end hunting rainwear--mostly own cheaper backpacking stuff like marmot precip (which doesn't have much flex, nor can it survive alot of crawling, scrambling, brushbusting), and also super-heavy duty Simms products (which are great, but pretty impractical for backcountry travel).

When hunting I carry my backpacking raingear, but really don't want to put it on unless its actually raining! I'd much rather have a multi-purpose waterproof layer, especially once there's snow on the ground. My backpacking stuff is fine for dry September hunts, but for damper months I was thinking about picking up the softshells. Now I'm thinking the stormtight (carried in early season, worn over layers later on) could do both?

Any personal experience that could shed light on these factors (mobility and durability) re: the stormtight v. the northbranch would be greatly appreciated.
The Northbranch jacket is brand new and probably only a few guys have it yet. However, from your intended use I think you would be better using the Stormtight set. While the Northbranch has a good DWR coating, its not rain gear, and First Lite would be the first to tell you that. It would hold up well to damp conditions, but get a steady rain fall and its time for the Stormtight.

How much does the fleece pullover weigh? Is the waffle fleece very similar to the Patagonia R1?
When I asked First Lite about the fleece they told me it was very similar to the R1. I do not know the weight.

I'm actually even more disappointed about the fleece now. I was really wanting it to be a traditional type fleece with pile to it. I really like using fleece as an outer layer for bowhunting because of how quite it is. Obviously not for backcountry hunts but for day hunts, an trips were you stay at the same camp every night. This fleece to me is just a really warm baselayer piece.

I am very excited about the waffle style shirt and the new rain pants! Can't wait to get my hands on them.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am very excited about the waffle style shirt and the new rain pants! Can't wait to get my hands on them.
Where are you in Alaska? I am actually testing the new rain pants as a follow up to my rain gear review. If you want to take a quick look at them, PM me.

Where are you in Alaska? I am actually testing the new rain pants as a follow up to my rain gear review. If you want to take a quick look at them, PM me.

I am up in Fairbanks, I hope to have some of my own soon. If I lived closer, I would definitely be interested in checking them out. If they are anything like the jacket they will be superb!

OP
S&S ARCHERY
Just got word that I'll have some 2014 Kanab's in stock in early March. I'll be getting the website updated asap for them.

Steve

luke moffat

Super Moderator

I might hit you up to take a look at those...my current rain pants are on their last legs after 2+ years of solid service they are ready to be retired!

ChadH

FNG
Yeah they put a stretch material in the crotch area for better movement and I believe they changed the ripstop to make them more durable.

Steve, did they change the fit at all? The change in fabric and crotch are probably a good thing, but hope they didn't change the sizing now that everyone has it figured out.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I might hit you up to take a look at those...my current rain pants are on their last legs after 2+ years of solid service they are ready to be retired!
Let me know when. I really like these pants.
My pants are sample pants from FL. They are in Max 1 and are a size L. I can't recall for sure, but I believe FL adjusted the size and in actuality mine would be a Medium. I will double check that. They weigh 14.2ozs on my wife's kitchen scale. ;)

408810706.jpg

408810705.jpg

408810704.jpg

408810703.jpg

408810702.jpg

Sharp looking pant and I love the full length leg zippers. These are going to look even better in Dry Earth! :)

Last edited:
OP
S&S ARCHERY
Steve, did they change the fit at all? The change in fabric and crotch are probably a good thing, but hope they didn't change the sizing now that everyone has it figured out.

As far as I know the sizing has not been changed for this year.

OP
S&S ARCHERY
When will Northbranch jacket be available?

They will be shipping in July. I just confirmed with them that the North Branch Jacket is a 10,000/10,000 so going to hold up to most storms but an all day rain you are going to want the Boundary jacket to keep 100% dry.

Steve

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have had the Stormtight Boundary pants for about a week now. Its been cold and snowy here in AK, so this is an observation, not a review.

I like the full leg zips. Easy to take these things on and off.
They re-enforced the knees and seat on the inside of the pant. The goal is to provide an extra moisture barrier and add durability.
They have an offset buckle, design intent is to keep excess bulk / stuff out of from where your pack buckle will rest.

For a first run pant, some thought and time went into these bad boys. I think these will sell very well. The material works for the Stormtight jacket, no reason to doubt performance in the pant.

Summary: Cool, well done design, fabric already proven in the Stormtight Jacket. If you run the jacket, you gotta have the pants to go with. :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Looks very nice...I like the looks of the FL setup for sure, def worth looking into.

I'm not overly concerned about camo, does it come in solid colors too?