First kid...one week to go!

• Thread starter Kootenay Hunter
  • Start date

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats to all the great dads out there, i swear we don't get enough recognition. good job guys.

OP
K

Kootenay Hunter

Well, she's here, ten fingers and ten toes, full head of hair, we named her Maya. Mom and baby are doing just fine and so far she's been pretty good, not really colicky or any major problems, more sleep than we expected. So far I have not been able to get out for Sept 1 archery season opener, but that's more to do with my back been buggered than the baby, I'd be able to get out for a couple hours in the morning, but after that it's too damn hot out still!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
She’s beautiful, congratulations! We’ve had a blast taking our daughter on our adventures the last two and a half years. I expected our life to slow down once she arrived, and while some of our trips look different these days we’ve been pleased to have approximately the same number of days afield now that we did before. It’s a lot of work, but also so rewarding.

We have the Osprey, and I struggled with it for several months when Molly was a baby, and ultimately ended up strapping it to an old Kifaru duplex frame we had sitting around. Sure it’s heavier, but it’s worth it to me to be able to carry heavy loads with the (reasonable) comfort I came to expect from using quality packs. I know other people who have loved the Deuter and Osprey packs so your mileage may vary.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, we shared some of our experiences adventuring with a baby and then a toddler the last couple of seasons in these threads:

OP
K

Kootenay Hunter

I picked up a Deuter Kid Comfort Active on sale this week. I tired one on in a shop and I liked it, comfy and nice and light at 5.9lbs. Excited to hike all next summer. We're going to make sure our little bean spends a lot of time outdoors!

bertha

FNG
Congrats and good luck!
o.png

Russp17

WKR
I have that same pack and it has been great!! Congrats! I just had boy number two yesterday. Being a dad has been the hardest and best thing I’ve ever done. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

Kootenay Hunter

I have that same pack and it has been great!! Congrats! I just had boy number two yesterday. Being a dad has been the hardest and best thing I’ve ever done. Enjoy!!

Congrats right back at you!

I'm finding it kind of funny that folks are bringing up raising kids as their biggest accomplishment when new kids are born, etc. and it doesn't seem to be really a discussion that happens more often. My wife and I were chatting about how people are telling us all these stories about having a baby, good and bad, just after we had ours, but never heard a tale of any sort before hand.

Russp17

WKR
It is fun watching them grow and change and all the little things like watching your 2 year old reel in his first fish is awesome and blows away me catching fish for myself. the hard part of it is say good bye to personal time haha... my wife and I try to make room for our hobbies just there is a lot less of it. The first months are rough with little sleep but I wouldn’t trade it.

OP
K

Kootenay Hunter

Well, with just over three weeks of heavy eyelids and haven't regretted anything.

Yes, all those firsts is what I'm so excited about....fishing, camping, seeing animals, touching the lawnmower muffler after just been told not too....experiencing the world in general.

Usi05

WKR
Congrats.

Best thing I ever did. My older two (5 and 7) keep asking for bows. I’ll probably buy a few for em next year.

We do some fishing and they are hunting with me more and more. Youngest likes to rip some bugles. She sounds so much like an elk without a reed lol.

We cooked whitetail hearts last year and they loved it.

They asked to catch and cook fish and we did that a few weeks ago.

a399141d471bd2420e4db2f53f414105.jpg
db36ffd49ce40db3e631335cdfde94ab.jpg
ad3fb20fd7f10adae66d875273a829d0.jpg

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
I was blessed to have a son and daughter. All I can say is little girls change you in a way sons don't. The tea party's, hair does, nail paint, and for the love of god the emotions are challenging. I guarantee though, you'll be a better man for it all.

slatty

WKR
I'm lucky to have a girl and boy myself. My 3 year old girl just started netting the fish I reel in and knows more about ungulates than I did at 25 (I didn't grow up in a hunting family). When I had a boy (2nd kid) people would make comments that I would now have a hunting partner; I tell them he needs to really step up his game since my girl currently holds that spot! Congrats on your little one.