First kid...one week to go!

• Thread starter Kootenay Hunter
  • Start date
K

Kootenay Hunter

We are expecting our first child next Friday, c-section is scheduled. Kinda of feels like being at the top of a roller coaster before the gravity takes over! A little anxious, nervous, and excited.

We're having a daughter and I'm super pumped. I think the world needs a few more gals that will have the experiences we plan to give her (fishing, hunting, outdoors, tools, etc.).

And yes, there was some planning on our (my) part that her birthday will not conflict with future hunting seasons!:sneaky:

Now the rush to get all the projects around the house done before she comes...almost too busy to let reality sink in!

kda082

WKR
Congrats! My first born daughter is now a college student but it was a fun ride. Had no idea what to do when a girl popped out, but she was my athlete and was a lot of fun to watch. Spend as much time with your kids as possible. It goes by too quick.

Nice! My first just turned 2 months old yesterday, girl as well. The wife is letting me get out for a long weekend on the opener, super thankful! I have a mulie and elk tag in pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
Lesson 1 when having a kid: Forget everything anyone has told you (except this); it won’t apply.

Lesson 2: if it’s still breathing, you didn’t do anything wrong.

Lesson 3: Learn to swaddle - tight! You’ll have a good sleeper faster.

Lesson 4: make the kid part of your life, don’t stop yours while you raise your kid and expect to pick it back up later...

Good luck.

Added later: Let me clarify the swaddle...the first three months of a kids life is their 4th trimester. They are used to being in that nice and warm and snuggly uterus...swaddling helps replicate that...you’ll thank me later ;-)

Last edited:
I have two young girls. One turning one in a few weeks and one turning three in a couple weeks. At this point I tell people good luck instead of congratulations 😜. The infant stage was not my favorite, but try to enjoy it because time really starts to move fast once you have kids.

OP
K

Kootenay Hunter

Lesson 1 when having a kid: Forget everything anyone has told you (except this); it won’t apply.

Lesson 2: if it’s still breathing, you didn’t do anything wrong.

Lesson 3: Learn to swaddle - tight! You’ll have a good sleeper faster.

Lesson 4: make the kid part of your life, don’t stop yours while you raise your kid and expect to pick it back up later...

Good luck.

Added later: Let me clarify the swaddle...the first three months of a kids life is their 4th trimester. They are used to being in that nice and warm and snuggly uterus...swaddling helps replicate that...you’ll thank me later ;-)

Sounds like you might have read the same book I did! Yes, we've got some cheater swaddles and regular cloth. Also getting a swing and a white noise machine....

OP
K

Kootenay Hunter

I have two young girls. One turning one in a few weeks and one turning three in a couple weeks. At this point I tell people good luck instead of congratulations 😜. The infant stage was not my favorite, but try to enjoy it because time really starts to move fast once you have kids.

I kinda know what you mean, my brother had his first in late November and his daughter seems like light years ahead of what our baby will be, but they will be only 9mo apart...I guess things converge as they age.

ODB

WKR
Sounds like you might have read the same book I did! Yes, we've got some cheater swaddles and regular cloth. Also getting a swing and a white noise machine....

Actually I’d never heard of swaddling and the reason until we were at the hospital...the nurse gave me the lesson. Kept my little Idaho tater tot happy!!

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! Having girls is the best. Mine are 9 and 7. They can do everything boys can do but are more snuggly. If yours is anything like my first and cries nonstop for the first few weeks, wear your shooting headphones or earplugs. It really reduced my stress level.

NoWiser

WKR
Congrats and good luck! My little girl is turning 3 this fall and the times since she was born have been the best of my life. There's something special about a baby girl that you can't put into words. There's nothing like hearing those little feet running 100 mph at you to give you a hug when you get home from work. She was an easy baby. Slept good, never cried, very low maintenance. My wife called her a sucker baby because she was the type that suckered you into wanting another.

My son was born 8 weeks ago. I'll come right out and say they have been some of the toughest 8 weeks of my life. He doesn't sleep good at all, cries constantly, and needs to be held every minute of the day. He has HATED being swaddled (we gave up on it after a week) where my daughter loved it. Each day seems to be getting better lately and I'm now getting my first good smiles out of him, which has made everything worth it. He's the opposite of a sucker baby, though, and I'm already looking at getting snipped ASAP.

My wife had c-sections for both. The first unplanned, the second scheduled. Your wife will be hurting so those first few days so be ready to jump in headfirst. Diapers, swaddling, rocking, etc. Let us know how those first few diapers go. Also, get used to walking circles around the house. Babies know when you're sitting and don't like it one bit. You can't trick them, either.

You are about to embark on the biggest adventure of your life. I hope everything goes well.

CX5Ranch

WKR
We send good tidings! It will be awesome!
1f204a2f93a9b1a26d9c3f440d39a3e0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Scottyboy

WKR
Congrats, I have 3yo twin girls and it’s been a ride to say the least. Does it suck at times? Yes. Is it downright difficult at times? Yes. Would I change anything about it? No. These 2 will grow to be my best friends and nothing, I mean nothing will get in between us.

It is pretty remarkable to see them grow, enjoy every minute no matter how hard it is. Time goes by quick, do your best to fill the memory card on your phone with videos and pictures, you will cherish them forever. The day they say “I want to hunt deer with daddy” will literally break you down 😃

Congratulations, I hoping to start using the kids lifetime licenses I bought them before they turned 3, to cheep not to buy fishing and deer hunting. Just a thought if your state offers life time license.
Injoy, it goes fast

Congrats! There’s nothing like it. I smiled so much the first few days that my mouth about hurt. That was 11.5 yrs ago and I know have 5. The first couple years can be tough until they start being able to tell you what they want/need.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations! I have 2 girls born just under a year apart that are 2 and 3 now. Were just getting in to fishing now and they get hunting and hope I always come home with something. A few more years they'll be tagging along.

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations! have 2 girls, 2 and 4. They still ask to be swaddled after baths lol. It works great to knock them out when they are newborn. Enjoy the ride and embrace all the moments with your kids. It will pass quickly.

Congrats! Life does change a little but it'll be for the better.

Careful with the white noise .... now my wife and I can't sleep without it. We own 4 machines, but only have 2 boys...

This is the best one we've found: Dohm white noise

Congrats! Life does change a little but it'll be for the better.

Careful with the white noise .... now my wife and I can't sleep without it. We own 4 machines, but only have 2 boys...

This is the best one we've found: Dohm white noise

Yep, we tried that stuff with our second. Made it miserable, she would cry most all night long if she wasn’t in a room by herself in her swing with music playing. If you were on a trip, you could count on rocking and bouncing her most of the night.