First Hunting Rifle Question, asking for a friend.....truly.

Although I am a fan of Sako, I don’t recommend them for a first rifle. Getting a scope ring combination is a PITA. I’v tried several.

Although I am a fan of Sako, I don’t recommend them for a first rifle. Getting a scope ring combination is a PITA. I’v tried several.
Agreed. Best bet is coughing up for the Sako optilocks or Leupold’s, each require some know how and work. I love sakos and dread setting them up with scopes

jroot327

FNG
Browning x-bolts are great for the money. As others have mentioned Tikka is great for the money too.

sndmn11

WKR
If this is a meaningful present from grandfather in law it should be pretty. A beautiful wood stocked .270 Browning BLR is an heirloom type piece that is fully capable of whacking deer and beyond.

jrypka

FNG
To me, the gun is less important than the optic. Look at it this way. Say two options are $300 apart on glass but same total price for the package. You'll get a lot more noticeable difference between a $800 gun and $600 scope, than a $1100 gun and $300 scope. Go with the Savage 110 and some really nice glass.

Unckebob

WKR
Winchester Featherweight or M70. They look and shoot great without breaking the bank.

Alternatively, a Savage 110 is sure to shoot great without any fussing about. It will leave room for a very nice scope.

Tex68w

WKR
Just picked up my first Bergara for a simple deer stand rifle and I am blown away for the money. I would recommend it over the Tikka but the Tikka would be my close second vote.

wildcat33

WKR
Putting myself in the shoes of a grandfather wanting to gift a hard working grandson with a rifle (that will then be passed down, aka legacy building). I would never gift a tikka, it’s generic and has no soul. It would be like gifting white socks. Sako 85, even despite the mounting.

Bucsfan69

FNG
I don’t own a Tikka, and don’t personally care for their aesthetics, but I’ve shot my friends rifles and will certainly say the are sweet shooters