First hunting rifle considerations

OP
K

krico123

FNG
@krico123 where will you be hunting mostly? I ask because both of those are great cartridges that you’ll be easily able to use for about any hunt in north america, but depending on where you are hunting and what type of hunting you may want a different scope. If you havent already, Id personally put as much effort and thought into a scope and mounts as the rifle.
Regarding the rifle, a tikka t3x is an easy good choice. A browning x bolt is a good choice. Both are within your budget, assuming that 800-1000 was a budget, and that your budget didnt include the scope and mounts—it was not clear to me if this was a budget or a statement that that was more than you wanted to spend. 700-1000 is about what a good quality new, off the shelf rifle will cost, with cheaper options being the “cheaper options” imo. Tikka and Browning are in my opinion the two best-value new, off the shelf guns that will last you probably forever. You can get cheaper guns, but most of those seem a bit more luck of the draw, a bit more rattly, etc—plenty of people use them, just haven't found one I personally liked. You can also get more $$ off the shelf guns, but those dont really buy better quality in most cases, usually just features or a specific configuration you may or may not even want, or a nicer-looking finish. To me those two are the sweet-spot for quality and value.
Wood is more expensive and isnt what sells in volume, so lots of gun stores dont stock many—but both tikkas and brownings and many other guns are available with wood stocks, so if you have your heart set on it you could find a gun you like and order one with a wood stock…just be aware it could take a while to get unless you actually make an online purchase and have it shipped to your ffl. Wood is classier looking, and it’s warmer-feeling if you’re hunting in very cold weather, and it has more soul than any plastic or fiber stock ever will, but apart from that there isnt really any functional advantage to it so it seems to have dropped out of favor.
Thank you for the insight, Hunting in the midwest Kansas mainly, I was thinking more along the lines of a used rifle tbh, the budget is just the rifle but if I find a good deal on a used rifle with a scope I'll take that too. I like wood just due to personal preference but would be willing to settle for a plastic stock if need be.

It's just a start for you, you might like it and might not. Only a couple rifles I'd suggest either a entry level Savage or a Mossberg Patriot. I know both can be had in 308 and I'd think also 6.5 Creedmoor. If you could get them in the Creedmoore, that's the way I'd go. ya got the rest of your life to spend money on something you know nothing about. I've never owned a Savage but had a few friends that had one. I shot them quite a bit and they were good shooting gun's, I think they were all 110's. I have two Mossberg Patriot's, a 308 and a 243. Both wood stock. Under $450 for them with the wood stock and think with the plastic stock around $300. They both shoot very very well! Another cartridge you might consider at least over the 308 is the 7mm-08. 7mm cartridge based on the 308 case. Little less recoil than the 308 I would think. DON'T spend a ton of money on your first rifle. Ease in and find out what appeals to you. My pet hunting rifles for a lot of years was an inexpensive Rem 660 in 309. Did everything I asked and didn't cause a shortage in the bank!

Thank you for the insight, Hunting in the midwest Kansas mainly, I was thinking more along the lines of a used rifle tbh, the budget is just the rifle but if I find a good deal on a used rifle with a scope I'll take that too. I like wood just due to personal preference but would be willing to settle for a plastic stock if need be.
I didn't say anything about scopes but I'm a lower power shooter. My favorite all time scope for hunting is an very old Redfield 2 3/4x I got brand new about 1970, still works great today on my 30-06. But I think maybe it I was to have one rifle I would have a 2-7x on it. 7x will give you more magnification than you'll likely need for a long time. I think I have three of them right now. have a couple 3-9x on a couple flat shooter's and no clue why. I limit my game shooting to under 300 yds and have only done that one time. These days my elk rifle is either my 30-06 and it has that old Redfield on it and have got me three elk in three shots. The other rifle is a custom 6.5x06 and does have a 3-9x on it. Three with it in three shots also and all shot on 3x# I hunt with variables on the lowest power generally. gives me more field of view.

You mentioned you might look for a used rifle. Seems I've always heard look for them just after a season ends. Lot of people go out and get a new rifle to hunt with, use it one time and dump it. For what ever reason they just didn't like it. I would suspect they might blame their failure on the rifle, it won't talk back. Truth is most rifles are only as good as the guy shooting them. You have to try pretty hard these days to find a bad rifle and what you pay won't matter.

I knew a guy stationed in Montana had a 7mm mag and claimed it wasn't enough gun for elk. He'd shot several and they ran off. He dumped it and got a 458 Win Mag. had three more run off on him and gave up hunting! It ain't the gun, it's the shooter! What ever you get, go out and learn to shoot it.

I’ll add to the ringing endorsement for a Tikka T3X. It’s a superb rifle. I don’t think you can go wrong with 6.5 CM or .308. Ron Spomer just did a review on it as well. I need another deer rifle like I need a third tit, but the Tikkas are so good it’s sorely tempting.

If you are looking for a used rifle, I spend a lot of time (and money) on GunBroker. My personal favorites are the FN action rifles from the 1950s. I’ve picked up several beautiful ones for $500-650 in .257 Roberts, .270, .30-06, etc.

If your budget allows, look into getting an older Sako. I got a beautiful L579 in .243 for about $900. It shoots sub-MOA 10-shot groups using factory ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in no way affiliated with this seller, but they are reputable. If I was looking to get another FN bolt action, this would be high on my list:

I expect it to go for $500-750. The scope should be good quality too.

You can also look for the old classic JC Higgins FN action rifles. They are available in .270 or .30-06. Usually between $450-550. They were made on FN actions using High Standard barrels. Way better than most off-the-shelf options you can get today. My dad’s .30-06 is a superb shooter. I can’t count how many deer he killed with it, but I took two beautiful bucks with it myself,

MDT31

FNG
IMO consider the Tikka T3x Lite Wood or Ruger Hawkeye Hunter, both great options for whitetail hunting with a wood stock in your price range.

Yoder

WKR
I would buy a Savage. The two I have are my cheapest and most accurate rifles. Caliber doesn't matter. 308 is probably easier to find and cheaper. Both will kill stuff.

MrRogers

FNG
Weatherby Vanguards are solid rifles for the money. I have an S2 chambered in 7mm-08 and it's been a great deer rifle.

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
1. Learn to shoot well. Bow or gun and know your limitations. Everyone has limits. Find them.

2. Play the wind. Before you hunt have some idea of how the wind will affect the way you enter your hunting area and where you will be hunting. If the wind is from the East and your access is from the East you have a problem. Also, as your hunting do your best to hunt a crosswind or keep the wind in your face. If they smell you you’ll never see them.

3. Be still. Be patient.

4. Pick a spot. When you have an opportunity to shoot don’t look at the whole deer. Definitely don’t look at antlers. Pick a spot of hair behind the shoulder. Kill that spot. Aim small, miss small.

5. Wait. If you are fortunate enough to shoot a deer, wait 30 mins minimum after the shot (unless you see the deer fall).

6. Track slowly. If the blood trail is sparse mark each spot with napkins, toilet paper, etc. Don’t assume you know which way the deer went. Let the blood show you. They can do surprising things when shot.

7. Pay homage. Take a moment and think about the life you’ve just taken and the reason you’ve done it. Pay homage to the animal in whatever way you please, but it needs to be done. This is a biggie for those that hunt with me.

8. Gut, tag and drag. Actually you should tag it first, then gut the animal by starting around the penis and slicing up to the rib cage. Be very careful not to puncture the stomach. A good stout knife will go through the cartilage just off the center of the rib cage. Slice the wall that separates the heart lung area from the stomach and intestine area. Reach inside and find the windpipe. Cut it and pull toward the rear of the animal cutting the connective tissue as you go. Everything should pull out together. Drag it head first to a point you can get your vehicle to. Load it up and take it to a processor. Don’t forget to check it in with the DNR before it goes to the processor.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Tikka T3x in 223 so you can afford to practice and not burn out the barrel. Next choice would be the same rifle in 243, follow by 6.5, and 308 last.

Tikka T3X in .308 if nothing else for ammo availability and the mind boggling options as well.

I have several custom rifles but the usability of the Tikka is just damn near as good and accuracy is there too.

Once you learn the platform, other than barrel changes they are easy to tinker with and make changes if desired.

The Tikka is a much better built rifle than any Savage, Ruger, Howa, etc.

Optics are a more personal thing but don’t go crazy on magnification. 12-16x on the top end is plenty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Tikka T3X in .308 if nothing else for ammo availability and the mind boggling options as well.

I have several custom rifles but the usability of the Tikka is just damn near as good and accuracy is there too.

Once you learn the platform, other than barrel changes they are easy to tinker with and make changes if desired.

The Tikka is a much better built rifle than any Savage, Ruger, Howa, etc.

Optics are a more personal thing but do go crazy on magnification. 12-16x on the top end is plenty.

At Sportsmans in Bend, Ore the Tikka T3x in 6.5 CM is $899.00. Got my Mossberg Patriot at that store for well under $400. Mounted a new 2-7X Vortex and total cost was well under the Tikka rifle alone. Shoots well under an inch if I do my part. Everybody doesn't have money to throw away!

At Sportsmans in Bend, Ore the Tikka T3x in 6.5 CM is $899.00. Got my Mossberg Patriot at that store for well under $400. Mounted a new 2-7X Vortex and total cost was well under the Tikka rifle alone. Shoots well under an inch if I do my part. Everybody doesn't have money to throw away!

I’m glad the Mossberg is working for you. I’ve seen enough negative reviews on them to steer clear. I can’t say I’ve ever seen a bad review in a Tikka, at least related to performance.

And from a build quality and accuracy standpoint I know that a Mossberg is not on par with a Tikka.

Rich M

WKR
I've never shot a Tikka but love the heck out of my Ruger American. Figure about $600. Spend the rest on a mid-grade scope and go hunting.

That'll be my next gun too - and my scopes are now Bushnell and old Leupolds. New Leupolds suck. All I ask is that they show me the animal and hold zero when shot.

rdramsey8

FNG
I bought a Savage 110 with no first hand experience with their rifles. I bought it because of the reputation for out of the box accuracy…it shot incredibly well, like really well, but I sold it less than a month later because of the absolutely terrible bolt lift. Definitely the least smooth action I’ve ever felt. If the shooting experience matters to you at all, I would avoid Savage rifles.

I've never shot a Tikka but love the heck out of my Ruger American. Figure about $600. Spend the rest on a mid-grade scope and go hunting.

That'll be my next gun too - and my scopes are now Bushnell and old Leupolds. New Leupolds suck. All I ask is that they show me the animal and hold zero when shot.

Please define “New Leupolds.” In your experience, when did they start to suck? I am not questioning your experience, just trying to figure it out because my experience with them has been uniformly positive. But I haven’t bought one and used it extensively in a few years.