First elk scenario

Third trip, no elk previously, and only a week to do it? Shoot her for sure.

I shot my first archery cow last year after years of letting them go while chasing bulls that I didn't kill. Along the way I had some great experiences that are fond memories but didn't produce any meat.

I am a firm believer that every elk is a trophy, especially archery. If it gets you excited, let it rip.

Fitzwho

WKR
For a first archery elk… probably passing the cow on the first day, but probably not day 2 or thereafter. And definitely wouldn’t pass a raghorn on the opening 15 minutes. But as everybody has said, if it scratches the itch in the moment, let one fly.

Marble

WKR
Just daydreaming while e-scouting today and wondered what this crew thinks.

I’m going on my third DIY elk hunt this September. I have had some close calls but not yet filled a tag. This year I cashed in 5 points to draw an either sex archery tag in CO.

If you’re me and and a cow walks in broadside at 25 yards on the first day, do you shoot it?
I was in your same position I believe. The difference is I had killed a pile of Bulls with my rifle, but not with my bow. I went solo to idaho and killed a cow the second day. I had two very close encounters with bulls in those two days.

I'm not sure if you are solo or not, but for me, it was one of my most memorable trips ever.

For me it's not about what I end up with, its the journey. The story.

And my favorite day is still the day after i fill my tag. Walking out with a heavy pack is awesome.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TheHammer

WKR
I’m in a similar situation. But I’m planning on 17days of grinding. If it’s the last day I’ll take a cow. Hopefully I’ll have tons of pictures of them to share. I have no issue getting close to cows, spikes or sub legal bulls. But every time I draw on a 5pt plus the wind switches, I made a mistake moving, drawing or calling and they are over the next ridge by the time I let down. What time of season are you planning?

chaza402

FNG
Man you spent 5 yrs waiting for this chance, it’s like saving up for a brand new 2500 Denali and when you get to the lot you throw all that time and effort down on the first truck you see which happens to be a two wheel drive s10 extended cab.
Sure it’s a truck but it’s not the truck you waited and dreamed about. And it’s sure not going to be the truck your going to reminisce about when your sitting by the fire sipping whiskey and shooting the shit.

Last 5 pt draw I had I grinded 18 days trying to get an above average bull. I had planned for 20 days. That 18th day I finally made it happen and bugled a seriously nice 340” bull away from his harem. Ranged a few things ahead of time but misjudged him. Shot over his back. I was heartbroken and hopeless. It was my one chance and I had blown it on an amazing bull.
But that afternoon I called a lone bull in just across the drainage from the missed opportunity that morning. Double Lunged him at 12 steps. Best bull to date and the best 18 days I’ve ever spent in the woods.
I learned a ton and I got my moneys worth.

My most successful hunt is one where I get an animal on the very last day at last light.
Enjoy your time afield and don’t look to get out of the woods without something that makes you proud of your time and effort.

And with a chance like this I would hunt it to the fullest and be prepared for a good bull or a tag sandwich. God I love this time of year!!

jmez

WKR
Shoot it, I would. If you don't, there is about a 90% chance you won't have another opportunity.

It's really pretty simple, are you a trophy hunter or an elk hunter. Any elk is a good elk IMO.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
There’s only one way to get good at killing elk.

Kill elk
From a shot execution standpoint you are correct. From a packing an elk out standpoint you are correct. From a standpoint of everything after an arrow is released you are correct.

Question is, if you can get within bow range of elk and you don’t shoot, even if you have every opportunity to shoot. Let’s say you draw aim and let down. Is doing that multiple times better practice than shooting one cow?

If you feel confident in your shot execution - (I killed a lot of whitetails to get there) and ability to pack out an animal, then shoot whatever gets you excited and you won’t regret. Otherwise getting into archery range and all but executing a shot is good practice too. You don’t need to kill a cow to get better at elk hunting but if you want to get that “first elk” monkey off your back take whatever legal elk makes the first mistake.

From a shot execution standpoint you are correct. From a packing an elk out standpoint you are correct. From a standpoint of everything after an arrow is released you are correct.

Question is, if you can get within bow range of elk and you don’t shoot, even if you have every opportunity to shoot. Let’s say you draw aim and let down. Is doing that multiple times better practice than shooting one cow?
I would say "no, it is not better." Making a good shot and thinking you would have made a good shot are not the same thing.

I also think some of the responses make too much of his five preference points. The OP said he used 5, not that his unit required 5. The better units in Colorado typically allow shooting spikes, his unit does not. It could very well be something that is essentially a one or two point unit and may not be that much better than OTC.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I would definitely agree. I think smaller bulls/spikes are easier to kill with a bow than a cow.

That said, there are a pile of guys out there who have never even shot an elk with their bow talking down about shooting whatever- makes no sense. 5 point units today are what 1 points units were 5 years ago. They are by no means an easy hunt for those who haven't pulled it off in the past. Even for really experienced guys, it can be a challenge to get it done.
I’m pretty sure there are a lot of guys giving advice on the forum that have never killed or maybe killed 1-2 of whatever species they’re giving advice about.

Scoot

WKR
Yes there are, UCSD! OP- shoot what makes you happy at the time. If you'll regret shooting a cow early on, don't. If you'll be happy and satisfied with that, do it. Simple.

I usually set a goal for about the 1/2 or 2/3 of the trip (unless I have a rock star tag). I'll hold out for my goal, but my goal usually drops after that. That mentality works for me. Maybe it will for you, maybe it won't. My suggestion is above and... decide in advance so you don't make an impulsive decision that you regret.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Kind of reminds me of my first archery elk kill. OTC units of course, I had been hunting hard for 8 days ended up moving units a couple hours to a new spot. Was rewarded by chasing bugles that morning. Had been close to, but never laid eyes on several bulls and had not sealed the deal. Called a big calf into 6 yards earlier in the day. I drew back and passed. Then was into no elk for the next 8 hours. Called probably the same calf back into 30 yards that evening and decided I was being stupid as I had never killed an animal with my bow before. Might as well start with her, plus solo pack out of a calf a few miles was nothing. She ate great and I still got 70 lbs of meat, more than a few of the mule deer I have killed. Ended up calling in a solid bull for my buddy the next week which was almost as good as killing that bull myself.

Feel good about getting into elk on the first day, count it a success, there are way more cows running around than bulls, and if you found one on the first day, I would suspect your going to get another chance in the next 5 days, at a cow or a bull. I'd pass on the first day.

First E/S Archery Tag for me. Going to have 6 full days mid-Sept.

I'm 100% a go with your gut guy. Same on judging Whitetail Bucks at home. If it makes my heart race when I see it and I willingly pull the bow back, then it's the right one for me. If I put my release on, but relax the it's not the right one for me.

I'm hunting for a legal bull. And don't envision I'd shoot a cow early in the week, but the last 2 days.....I'll take a cow if given the chance and enjoy the heck out of fresh Elk meat skewered over a campfire that night.

OP
gobears870

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
Feel good about getting into elk on the first day, count it a success, there are way more cows running around than bulls, and if you found one on the first day, I would suspect your going to get another chance in the next 5 days, at a cow or a bull. I'd pass on the first day.

There’s always caveats and context and other variables at play like this. My scenario above was a bit black and white.

Last year we were into bugling right off the bat the first morning and stayed on them the whole week - just couldn’t get it done. A cow came into range the last day but we had bull tags. Also got close to several spikes but it was a 4pt unit.

If this year it starts out the same way and a cow walks in, I’m probably waiting. If it’s dead quite for the first couple days and one comes in, I’m shooting.