First elk scenario

Hnthrdr

WKR
@Ucsdryder can attest to the elk dumbness in the household of @KickinNDishin and I, so this is a genuine question.

Can I learn much about "hunting bulls" by fiddling with small ones, or is there a significant distinction between hunting BULLS versus bulls?
Personally I feel there is a big difference between BULLS and bulls, some of the rags I have tagged are dumb…. Like really, really dumb. Now getting a 6 + year old or older bull to come in for a shot feels like a different skill set.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Kill elk. That’s the most important thing. Passing rag horns when you don’t have dead elk under your belt makes no sense to me, unless you’re on a guided hunt or in a trophy unit. Any bull is a trophy and killing a rag horn will help your odds of sealing the deal on a big bull when the chance presents itself!

Captnky

FNG
My first elk hunt I passed a group of cows on day two. Things stalled out and we were out of the elk for a few days and I was really regretting my decision. “Shoulda shot the cow” I told myself many times. On the 6th day I shot a nice 6x6.

Last year I passed a cow and a spike on day one, that was the only opportunity of the trip I had to draw my bow, I don’t wildly regret it. Though I do wish I had some elk in the freezer today.

That being said, I’m shooting cows on day 3 given the opportunity.

Other than a spike I’m shooting the first legal bull I can. But I’ve only killed one elk in my life.

sndmn11

WKR
Hell yes there’s a difference! I’d put spikes and rag horns into that same category as cows as far as learning to hunt and killing BULLS :)
Personally I feel there is a big difference between BULLS and bulls, some of the rags I have tagged are dumb…. Like really, really dumb. Now getting a 6 + year old or older bull to come in for a shot feels like a different skill set.
I think you guys are right.

I'm in the no archery bulls category though...
Kill elk. That’s the most important thing. Passing rag horns when you don’t have dead elk under your belt makes no sense to me, unless you’re on a guided hunt or in a trophy unit. Any bull is a trophy and killing a rag horn will help your odds of sealing the deal on a big bull when the chance presents itself!

Laramie

WKR
I would definitely agree. I think smaller bulls/spikes are easier to kill with a bow than a cow.

That said, there are a pile of guys out there who have never even shot an elk with their bow talking down about shooting whatever- makes no sense. 5 point units today are what 1 points units were 5 years ago. They are by no means an easy hunt for those who haven't pulled it off in the past. Even for really experienced guys, it can be a challenge to get it done.

cnelk

WKR
To the OP

Many have missed this detail:

You used 5 PPs for an E/S archery tag, does the unit have antler point restrictions? Or is it an any bull unit?

BBob

WKR
killing a rag horn will help your odds of sealing the deal on a big bull when the chance presents itself!
I could agree with this starting out especially these days with less opportunities. Making a kill will definitely be a help when the next kill opportunity comes around. I didn’t do it when I started out but I used to get to hunt elk in AZ and or NM about every year back then.

TaperPin

WKR
It all depends on what you want. You can’t shoot a bull if you shoot a cow first. You can’t shoot a big bull if you shoot a small one first.

Personally, if I’m 5 miles in by myself and it’s steep rough country I’d rather not pack out an elk just for meat. However, if its what you want to do then go for it.

I hunted antelope hard for 3 weeks one year - 3 weeks is a long time creeping around in a jeep all day. Winters were light - we scoped multiple 15” bucks each day, but with short prongs, or broken prongs. The late afternoon of the last day (just after the rut), we worked within range of a big herd - maybe 40 animals and at least 10 bucks. My wife took the largest buck, half a second later I took another good buck. As we stood up to walk over, the biggest buck of the season stepped out of a hidden draw and starred at us and slowly walked off. 15-1/4” with 4” prongs and heavy throughout. That has been my reminder all these years - hunt until the very end for the buck or bull you really want.