First Elk hunt Solo in GMU 85 CO Words of wisdom?

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Sorry, I haven't updated. My work schedule screwed me into only 4 days in the woods. I was unlucky enough that 2+ days were heavy downpour, so I was stuck in the Paratipi. I did see some elk, none close enough for me to get at. I got to witness some bulls sparing, that sight alone was enough for me to never want to miss a season again. This was my first Elk hunt. Things I learned; Kifaru rocks! My pack was awesome. Next time, I am taking a bigger shelter, so if I am stuck for a period due to weather I have room to move. I need to be in better shape than I thought, that starts now for next season. I quit smoking on the trip home! Been cig free for amost a month now. Allow enough time. Next year I will go for 9 days. I will also do at least 2 scouting trips, although, I think my location was very good for not having scouted. Lastly, I will have a damn Mule Deer tag, they were running around me like squirrels. If I had a tag, I would have had several shots!

I will say, my pack list was almost perfect and that was largely due to the information I have obtained on this forum, so thanks!

Ron

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I am resurrecting this thread and will continue to do so every so often through my hunt this year. My fitness program is underway. I am running 3+ miles 3x per week. Lifting for upper body strength 2 days per week and I am hiking 4 miles + with my pack twice a week. I have also quit smoking. I still need to drop about another 18 pounds to meet my weight goal but I am charting my progress and have moved to a cleaner diet. This year I am going to pack in to Colorado Unit 44 with two other experienced Elk hunters from my family that reside in PA - or if they don't get it together, I will be doing a solo in Unit 85. Which ever unit I decide, I am also going to try and draw a Muley tag. Last year they were running all around my tent and I didn't have a tag. I'll update about once a month. It will keep me on track :D I may also ask a few questions between now and then to ensure I am fully prepared. This year I am determined to do it right. I am 50 and that says it all. Can't waste any time.

Hflier,
My bro-in-law and I did our first elk hunt last year in 85 as well. We packed in during the second season, but did not have much success. It got pretty crowded on the public land, and aside from hearing a few shots the first morning, there wasn't much action. The elk had all moved to the large amount of private land in the area. We did see a ton of sign from the the rut though. So this year we are going back in archery season. I just made a scouting trip over the 4th of July and found elk. I would love to compare notes if you are interested. We live in Houston so it is hard to tap into the local knowledge. I also do a lot of solo backcountry hiking, so we are probably looking at the same type of terrain. Good luck.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just read through this pretty impressive that you quit smoking on the drive home and I hope you get rewarded this season for your hard work