First Big Game Rifle

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Although, it does seem like 30 cal and above are more likely to leave a good blood trail.

And that's the difference. Just like the broadhead debate with archery.......any of them through the lungs is going to kill them. But it's always nice to have a good trail to follow. I shot a cow elk over 30 years ago with my '06 from about 75 yards. Bullet broke a rib going in right behind the shoulder, and broke a rib exiting. There wasn't a drop of blood in the snow for over 100 yards in tracking her. Without good tracks in the snow, I'm not sure I would have found her as she went about 400 yards without a heart. I have no idea what would have left a better blood trail.

OP
Phil4

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
My 12 gauge with slugs! . Thanks again for all the info. I'm still debating what to get and I'm not in a huge rush but I will certainly update when I buy something. Then I'll have to ask you guys about scopes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
30.06 / 180 grain premium bullet = dead elk - feel free to argue the point but piles and piles of elk over a 100 year span tells the story quite succinctly - as said early on in this thread and still pertinent, relatively easy to shoot / no muzzle "blast" needed / VERY adequate trajectory / easy to load for (if you reload) / more than easy to find an array of good factory ammo virtually anywhere you look / makes a stellar "one gun does it all" firearm

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a little advice, and let me start by apologizing for a real common question on the forum here.

A little background: I am a 32 year old midwesterner looking to buy my first big game rifle. I've got a decent budget (1,000-1,200 gun only) and want to buy one (new) that is versatile and that I won't ever have to replace. I want to be able to hunt everything from Whitetails to Elk to Moose with it. I've never hunted out west but plan to (hopefully this fall). I've killed a lot of whitetails with a bow and a 12 gauge w/slugs, and I'd like to finally get my butt out west.

I had my choices narrowed down to a Ruger Hawkeye FTW Hunter and Browning Hells Canyon Speed. Both have durable stocks/finishes. Both of those have muzzle brakes (both removable) and I'm not huge fan of recoil. So, I figured just get a 7mm mag or .300Win mag in one of those and call it a day. Ran into a problem when I started reading about hearing damage from the muzzle brakes. I'm a pilot, so no hearing = no job = no hunting.

I'm now thinking about a Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in 7mm mag. I am thinking the relative heft will help with recoil and the stock and finish will hold up longer than I will. Thoughts?

I'd also like to say that I've had my trusty Remington 1187 (walnut/blued stock) out in some crap weather and never had a problem with it. Should I expand my options to include walnut/blue choices?

Am I being paranoid about the muzzle brake/hearing loss deal?

Thanks in advance for the help, and for the insane amount of good information gathered within these forums.
My wife and I both shoot 300WM and I think it would be a good choice. I'm not hip on the Brownings but the Ruger Hawkeyes are good solid rifles. I own a couple of the newer model 70 rifles right now, and I have enjoyed them both. My wife is a little lady and I'm not a big guy by any means but we both agree that we just don't get what all the fuss is about when it comes to recoil. Everyone is different but I've never given any consideration to muzzle breaks. I don't spend a whole lot of time at the range, measuring groups either so others will have a different prospective. I've always been able to hit the animals I'm shooting at with confidence within 300 yards. I typically don't even want to shoot them from that far away. Everyone has different experiences but I feel like it's very easy to get within 100 yds of an elk where I hunt.

There's lots of good rifle choices out there so do your homework. I've started hunting with a 45-70 and I really love it. I wouldn't shoot it past 200 yds though.

GKPrice

Banned
My wife and I both shoot 300WM and I think it would be a good choice. I'm not hip on the Brownings but the Ruger Hawkeyes are good solid rifles. I own a couple of the newer model 70 rifles right now, and I have enjoyed them both. My wife is a little lady and I'm not a big guy by any means but we both agree that we just don't get what all the fuss is about when it comes to recoil. Everyone is different but I've never given any consideration to muzzle breaks. I don't spend a whole lot of time at the range, measuring groups either so others will have a different prospective. I've always been able to hit the animals I'm shooting at with confidence within 300 yards. I typically don't even want to shoot them from that far away. Everyone has different experiences but I feel like it's very easy to get within 100 yds of an elk where I hunt.

There's lots of good rifle choices out there so do your homework. I've started hunting with a 45-70 and I really love it. I wouldn't shoot it past 200 yds though.

Except for a SLIGHT disagreement on chambering choice I'd have to say that your post is near-perfect in implementation and spirit !

OP
Phil4

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Chicago, so getting my hands on different rifles is a bit of a challenge. So far I've laid my paws on 4 that I'm interested in. Kimber Montana, savage weather warrior, tikka T3x, and ruger ftw hunter. I like them in that order but still can't find a m70 ew ss in stock anywhere. Anyone have experience with above mentioned rifles or the current m70 ew ss with the bell and Carson stock?

elkguide

WKR
I live in Chicago, so getting my hands on different rifles is a bit of a challenge. So far I've laid my paws on 4 that I'm interested in. Kimber Montana, savage weather warrior, tikka T3x, and ruger ftw hunter. I like them in that order but still can't find a m70 ew ss in stock anywhere. Anyone have experience with above mentioned rifles or the current m70 ew ss with the bell and Carson stock?

You've settled to 4 very good rifle choices. If I were starting out and didn't have the option of shooting them, my decision would be made by handling each of them and going with the one that felt the best in my hands. I am a fan of the Kimbers and while some have had issues with them, I have three right now and all of them shoot better than I can and carry very comfortably for me.

OP
Phil4

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot to mention Montana Rifle co. Extreme 2. Trying to handle one of those as well! Hard to find just like the m70 ew ss. Shotgun only deer state is not helping my cause!

The Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS is a great rifle that should fit your needs as is MRC X2 rifle. Both would be winners.

I also really like the Ruger Hawkeye with the walnut stock. I would have it pillar and glass bedded and it would hold zero very nicely.

Calibers: A 30-06 with a 165 gr. Accubond or Partition bullet would work very well for anything you would want to hunt. I use both in my own 30-06 which is a Ruger 1B single shot. Love that rifle.

I would also suggest the .280 Remington or 280 AI. Great cartridges both! I just had a .280 AI built on a Winchester Model 70 action. I really like it and it shoots very well. I am using 140 gr. Partitions and have not had time to play with the 140 gr. Accubonds or E-tips yet, but that is my next project.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
As all way's lots of good points and views pointed out, my .02$ if I was doing one caliber for moose, elk, deer, it would be the proven 300 win., around long enough your able to find rounds in almost any mom and pops gas station/store out west, plenty of power but manageable recoil, and doesn't cost a arm and a leg. Don't overlook a 700 in stainless configuration. And above all, don't skimp on the glass,.. the most accurate gun is reduced to a club if your scope fog's/fails usually miles from home in the rougher conditions. As far as a brake goes, you can wear protection at the range, set of plugs when your hunting, my 300 win. is manageable without a brake.
Mike

Last edited:
OP
Phil4

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Happy New Years fellas! I ended up handling nearly every rifle I was remotely interested in (never did find a Montana X2) and ended up with a model 70 ew ss in 7mag. It felt the best in my hands and once I handled one I wasn’t all that interested in any of the others. Topped it with a vortex razor lh 2-10 in Talley lightweights. I put a lot of rounds through my 12 gauge with slugs this fall and a lot of .280 rem and recoil never bothered me out of either...maybe I’m becoming less of a wuss? Maybe just getting fatter? I need a thaw to get it out to the range but I’m real happy with the fit and finish and the weight of it. I’m confident the recoil of the 7mag won’t be a problem. Thanks again for all your responses. This place is a wealth of knowledge.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
7RM is a good caliber, your next gun (and there will be a next) can be something like a 6.5 creed, 260 Rem and after that...
Congratulations on your Rifle!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Happy New Years fellas! I ended up handling nearly every rifle I was remotely interested in (never did find a Montana X2) and ended up with a model 70 ew ss in 7mag. It felt the best in my hands and once I handled one I wasn’t all that interested in any of the others. Topped it with a vortex razor lh 2-10 in Talley lightweights. I put a lot of rounds through my 12 gauge with slugs this fall and a lot of .280 rem and recoil never bothered me out of either...maybe I’m becoming less of a wuss? Maybe just getting fatter? I need a thaw to get it out to the range but I’m real happy with the fit and finish and the weight of it. I’m confident the recoil of the 7mag won’t be a problem. Thanks again for all your responses. This place is a wealth of knowledge.

I have a M70 extreme in 30-06. While its not a light mountain rifle it is really an awesome gun, Ive found it to be VERY high quality, accurate, durable etc. It would be one of the last rifles I got rid of even though its not my "go to" right now, its hard for me to think of a better all around rifle (at least in my collection).