First Aid: Prescription Meds

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, the 800mg, I had some left over from a back injury a couple years ago. They may have actually been expired but they worked great at the end of the day, I slept like a log too :)

I just used the last one on my last trip and replaced them with the OTC 200mg, I'm glad to know 2 of them equals 800mg because I was planning on taking 4....lol

Just to be clear, 2 x 200mg still equals 400mg. I think what people were trying to communicate above is that 400mg is an adequate dose for most people...I.e. that it would achieve the same effect as an 800mg tablet. 4x 200mg is still 800mg....

Be careful taking doses that high without a prescription. Here and there its probably not too big of a deal, but worsening side effects are associated with higher doses...like risk for GI upset and even bleeding from the stomach.

TEmbry

WKR
To clear some stuff up, if your throat closes up from a med, you are having an anaphylactic reaction and should never take that med again or possibly even those in the same class.

400mg IBU does not have the same pain killing effect as 800mg IBU, just be sure to not go over 3200mg in any 24/hr period.

And there is no tricky math, 4 OTC 200mg IBU is the same as 1 Rx 800mg IBU.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but I wouldn't mess with carrying azithromycin. If you get an infection bad enough to need abx, you likely should not remain in the back country hunting and should come out seeking medical attention.

One thing I like carrying for peace of mind is an epi pen. I have a semi bad allergic reaction to yellow jacket stings, and if I piss off a nest of them somehow out there, it's game over without one.

jls

FNG
400mg IBU does not have the same pain killing effect as 800mg IBU, just be sure to not go over 3200mg in any 24/hr period.

And there is no tricky math, 4 OTC 200mg IBU is the same as 1 Rx 800mg IBU.

Friends- This is what I was trying to say^^^ 4 x 200mg= 800mg Clearly TEmbry did a much better job explaining than I did. The 3200mg total in 24hr. period is very important to note. Personally I find little pain relief from ibuprofen even at 800mg dosage, I much prefer Naproxen instead. Also recommended to me by my doc, was taking Naproxen and Acetaminophen together for pain relief and anti inflammitory help. Find what works best for you and go with that

Hope this helps rather than muddy the discussion further!

Shrek

WKR
TEmbry just mentioned Yellow jackets and a reaction and I wanted to pass on a little info. If you get stung multiple times , like 8 or 10 times plus , just because you don't have an immediate reation doesn't mean you are in the clear. You can have a reaction that is delayed up to a couple of weeks. I had no idea until a friend got hit well over 50 times. Other than the pain and local swelling he was fine for over a week. About ten days later he ended up in the emergency room with blurred vision , trouble breathing , weak and disoriented. All the pain and swelling had been gone for a week when it hit him. If you get really torn up I would get out of the backcountry and closer to emergency care in case you should need it. Hopefully you won't hang your 4wheeler on a stump full of them like he did.

wapitibob

WKR
I used to take 3200mg/day when hunting rough country and the cpl times i ended up with Paricarditis. The last time, my doc suggested nuproxin as it was easier on the kidneys as I recall.

Snyd

WKR
That's about what I carry for meds. OTC-Anti-diahrea, RX Zofran for Anti-Nausea, any leftover RX pain killers I can get my hands on. Ibuprofen, Benadryl. I also carry a little salve with my TP and Wetwipes to deal with a Mountain House induced 'roid" or rash :D Mole skin, gauze pads, duct tape and a few bandaids for feet and cut fingers.

I think the anti-diarhea anti-nausea meds are the most important. Could make or break a 10 day backcountry hunt if you got bad vomit/squirts on day 2 and couldn't eat or hydrate. I've saved 2 of my partners with the anti-diahrea meds. If an injury is so painful that you can't do without RX pankillers then it's time to hit the SOS button on the SPOT. But, I try to carry them figuring they'd help take the edge off. I think they were a big help for Becca when she had her Kodiak fall/rescue.

With a little knowledge, ingenuity and Duct tape you can stabilize most anything that will matter. My SPOT is always in my pants pocket.

Wondering if any emergency prescription meds are being carried by Roksliders.

In the past I've carried the following items, and am going to add a prescription pain killer this year. My intent is to be able to effect a self-rescue if necessary. These items fit inside a small kifaru pullout and only weight a couple ounces.

1. Immodium A-D (Anti-Diarrheal)
2. Benadryl (Anti-Allergy)
3. Zofran (Anti-Emetic (vomiting & nausea))
4. Azithromycin (Antibiotic)
5. Tylenol and Motrin
6. very small roll of duct tape
7. blister kit

What prescription meds do you carry/have you seen used in the backcountry?

Snyd

WKR
My 52 year old body likes the ibuprofen. It's part of my daily food rations :D I take 800mgs in the morning and 800mgs at night. Helps with lactic acid and my aching back :D

I'm with you guys on the antibiotics and the ointment. No sense in getting an infected finger from a little cut when you can prevent it with a little Neosporin, bandaid and duct tape. RX antibiotics are no-go.

I think the bottom line is knowing which medications work for you, and how the effect you individually before you take them into the field.

I prefer ibuprofen for anti inflammatory effects (think headaches or muscle pain), but I know for personal experience that high doses (like 800mg, which is technically prescription strength, whether its in one 800mg pill or 4x 200mg) give me an upset stomach.

Tylenol (for me) works better for bone and joint pain, so its my go to if my old fracture bothers me packing heavy loads.

We carry hydrocodone/acetaminophen (Vicodin) because oxycodone (Percocet) makes me puke. It's for last resort, someone is badly injured use only. Either to help someone with a minor enough injury walk out, or to provide some measure of comfort while waiting for help.

We carry antibiotic ointment for small cuts and scrapes, but I purposely don't carry any oral antibiotics. Unless you are prone to recurrent infections (like the bladder infections that plague some unlucky folks), and know exactly what antibiotic you need, most folks won't know when to take antibiotics and what kind. Even doctors dont typically know with certainty whether an infection is viral or bacterial without lab testing, and if it is bacterial, it requires a culture to ensure you have the right drug for a particular infection. With the nasty potential side effects of antibiotics (nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, and well as anaphylaxis if you develop an allergy) combined with the prevalence of antibiotic resistance in the world today, I don't bring antibiotics into the field with me. Considering that I haven't needed and prescription for antibiotics in the last 10 years, it seems like a no brainer to leave them (and their risks) behind...

OP
CrzyTrekker
I think the anti-diarhea anti-nausea meds are the most important

I think this is right on target.

Having pain killers in the pack gives me a little peace of mind but it's much more likely the other stuff gets me out of the backcountry on two feet.

Having had a solo hunt cut short with a fever and nausea I carry a pretty extensive possible pouch. Most of it has been mentioned but I take Percocet or Vicodin and Phenergan. Pain control can help keep you from going into shock. The Phenergan is magic against nausea and nausea will quickly lead to dehydration which can get you into real trouble!! I have seen quik clot save lives in combat and its worth the weight to me.

jmez

WKR
Math error in my post, meant 4 200mg tablets equal 1 800mg tablet.

The 800mg is prescription strength because the GI side effects of the NSAID's are quite real and the Dr. would like to be keeping an eye on you when taking that dose.

As mentioned above, be careful of taking Vicodin if you're also using Ibuprofen. Percocet would be a better choice for pain, if you're using Ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory (I'm on 3 of the 800 Ibuprofen/day....per my dr.....due to 3 severely extruded discs)

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I had a physical before I went to Alaska last year (at my wife's insistence). The doctor asked me what I took as far as first aid kit. I explained that either I or the guide (Sheep hunt) would have one. The doctor suggested that I take the following prescription Rx's: pain killers, antibiotics, muscle relaxers and an anti-inflamatory. As I was flying on a plane, I carried these in the pharmacy containers and a note from the doctor. He said to properly discard what I didn't use after a year and he was write me a new script. Fortunately, didn't need any, but I did feel better knowing I had these along. I love duct tape.

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
A common recommendation now is to take ibuprofen with acetaminophen together, the two work wonders at complimenting each other

TEmbry

WKR
Don't take them at the same time though, you'll want to keep them on an Alternating schedule... Tylenol every 4-6h (3-4g max per day) and Motrin every 6-8 hrs (3.2g max per day).

Vicodin and most all the other opiods have acetaminophen in them so take that into consideration for your max daily allowance (some have ibuprofen instead although nowhere near as common and it will say so on the label)