Fires

It is going to be a crazy couple weeks out west.. California blew up yesterday. more fires throughout western states starting today and no rain in sight. Be safe everyone. This is going to get scary. screenshot.jpg

dtrkyman

WKR
A new one is going here near Santa Fe, super hot and dry, at least the wind slacked of a bit.

alonsom10

FNG
From Salinas, we got 3 fires in the surrounding mountains. Like you mentioned no rain in sight and firefighters are slim.

Yeah and this week we've had near record heat and right now it's thunder and lightning outside my house right now. So I'll get to wake up to smoke and more fires in the morning.

qwerksc

WKR
Santa Cruz here, Evacuations in the surrounding hills, A few friends and clients have already lost their homes. The scene is very apocalyptic in our area, frickin bad for sure. We knew it would happen, when was the big question, now it seems like a perfect storm.

Azone

WKR
What I gathered from a few people today is the fires in my area are gonna be let go until they hit certain points where back firing will take place. I’m not gonna be surprised if/when the whole Monterey Ranger District in the Los Padres NF gets closed down. If I had a G21 tag in my pocket I would be very concerned right about now. Ash raining down all day and a lot of smoke in the air.

Oregon

WKR
California on fire! Not exactly unexpected, but I truly hope all members houses and property is spared!!

OP
Huntindog45
California on fire! Not exactly unexpected, but I truly hope all members houses and property is spared!!
having grown up here, and having fought fire for a few years myself as well as being very good friends with people still in the fire biz I can say that though fire is not unexpected the way these fires are behaving is dramatically unexpected. And the places we are seeing fires is very much unexpected. Coastal areas that are normally locked in with fog and drizzle like big basin and Pt Reyes. Those places do not burn. A really good fire capt friend of mine that has been doing this for thirty years was telling me how fires that 25 years ago he would have handled with an engine and a hand crew are now blowing up faster than he can get the call out. 1/4 acre fires that he used to handle easily are blowing up and getting into canopy far earlier than normal. Everything is so damn dry. He was talking how he watched a small pine tree 50 yards from a small half acre fire just explode. That is something that used to take much more extensive fire. Now the trees are gassing off and torching so much earlier in the fire. Every fire fighter i know tells the same story. Just absolutely unbelievable fire behavior. Hearing the same out of Colorado and Oregon and Arizona. And more lightning expected Sunday. Lets hope there is a shit ton of rainfall with it.

Sal552

FNG
Hope all the firemen and women stay safe..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRMiller

WKR
The end to our ten year drought (at least in CA) is unfortunately partially at fault.
We finally got some water, lots of water, and the weeds and scrub just exploded with growth, everywhere. Cali was green again.
But like it always does by mid summer its all dead and becomes great fire tinder.

Had 18 fires on the Ranger District I work on in far Eastern Oregon out of a dry lightning storm Tuesday night. All kept small at less than 2 acres. Was a fun few days smoke chasing and jumping lots of elk!

ODB

WKR
It has been a weird week here in Idaho. The sky has been just white. Open the windows and you smell the smoke. Really neat sunrises and sunsets, but horrible air quality. I’d love a good couple days of rain...

Ca. Brothers & Sisters, may you and your families stay save. If you have to evac. don't wait, make tracks. It sucks to think about loosing a home & stuff but that all can be replaced. God bless!

We all out here (west of the Miss.) need rain and cooler temps! Eastern non-res. hunters please beware & be careful. Here in CO. even at altitude and far from the fires the air quality is bad. I was out this weekend. Not only our smoke but the jet stream brings in all the smoke from other states.

boom

WKR
My eyes are always scanning the mountains around my home. We are surrounded by distant fires. 40 miles. A fast fire can eat that up in a hurry.

I kid you not. I told my boss i was going to kayak fish lake Hennessy. About 2 hours later, my boss tells me - there is a fire at the lake. Kicked my well-laid plans right in the nuts. It’s wild.
niw I just stay home partially packed up ready to go. It won’t hurt if my house burns, it’s my stuff! It was a real chore getting my wife to let me buy some of this stuff! :)

(shhhhh, I’ll get a kayak upgrade and a new Hoyt.....shhhh)

be well Western USA. Hope the rains come soon and the wind stays away.