Fire

Lightning started a fire north of me. I rode in yesterday cutting out the winter downfall on one of my trails. The fire was at 11 acres.

Met one of the FS voyeurs watching the fire burn. Nice guy but upper management said to let it burn so they were documenting the growth.

A cold front is coming through with 40 mph gusts. It's now at 80 acres and has spread to the next drainage. The FS reported 22 people on the fire. I only observed 2.

They did this a couple years ago and observed a fire for a couple months then it took off and burned 26,000 acres and almost got the county seat.

We are paying these idiots to "observe" fires. I don't see any improvement. I've seen a couple spots burn 3 times in 5 years. They don't plant trees, maintain trails and rarely even grade their roads. I think it is time to flush the toilet and start over. There isn't anything left to save at the Forest Service.

Man, don't even get me going! Watched the Lava fire here in SW Idaho blow up 40k acres in one day. They were "monitoring" it for 5 days . There were 3 different logging contractors within 15 miles of it. Sawyers, Water trucks, dozers and feller bunchers were all right there and no call to them for help.

IDVortex

WKR
Well. I bet the FS gets decent amount of money to fight fires. So instead of doing managed burns or thinning. It's better to allow everything burn due to more money. Because, at the end of the day. Green is only thing that matters.

I don't understand how some of the primary FS gravel roads aren't graded and sprayed with magnesium chloride to help lock the road surface together and for dust control.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Check out the Derby Fire, Montana 2006

Guys were putting it out when the FS threatened to have them arrested and chased them off.

220,000 acres eventually burned. Assholes.

I can't count the number of fires that the FS "monitored" until they were too large to
be put out by man before they threw a ton of men and our $$$$$$$ at them

They even did a "prescribed burn" up Bridger Creek on labor Day weekend a few years ago; the hottest driest time of year and opener of bow season.

Did I mention "assholes"?

Get me a campfire and a beer and I'll express my true feelings on this topic.

Beendare

WKR
Thats the mentality of these jokers....it pisses me off too.

Wait until you get a couple of those bulldozer or water truck guys that charge $2,000/day sitting around with no fires for awhile...and they go out and start one like the guy they caught up above Redding,Ca a few years ago.

Well it’s an interesting time currently. 750 million in the hole and lots of people are being laid off next week. Land of paper weights in the useless offices and nobody to do ground work anymore. Almost everyone I know that’s a temp fire crew person is done next week….

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
You never see this type of information (assuming factual) in the general media. Although I'm not sure it would push the right buttons with most people anyway.

Well. I bet the FS gets decent amount of money to fight fires. So instead of doing managed burns or thinning. It's better to allow everything burn due to more money. Because, at the end of the day. Green is only thing that matters.

I don't understand how some of the primary FS gravel roads aren't graded and sprayed with magnesium chloride to help lock the road surface together and for dust control.
I'll give them a pass on chloride because the cost has gotten so out of hand, but their road maintenance program drives me nuts.

OP
P
The FS did well with a full time ranger and a part time secretary. The didn't even have roads. My Dad and uncle worked summers on lookouts and trail maintenance.

I worked on trails and on lookouts in the 70s as well as district smoke chasers and habitat typeing.

By the 80s, I spent much of my professional life assisting citizens in conflicts with FS management. They have rules that citizens have to follow but they don't and won't.

There are some very good professionals within the agency but they are outnumbered by egos and idiots in upper management.

I would be happy if they went back to planting trees and putting out fires. It's obvious they couldn't manage toilet paper in a diarea ward.

Lightning started a fire north of me. I rode in yesterday cutting out the winter downfall on one of my trails. The fire was at 11 acres.

Met one of the FS voyeurs watching the fire burn. Nice guy but upper management said to let it burn so they were documenting the growth.

A cold front is coming through with 40 mph gusts. It's now at 80 acres and has spread to the next drainage. The FS reported 22 people on the fire. I only observed 2.

They did this a couple years ago and observed a fire for a couple months then it took off and burned 26,000 acres and almost got the county seat.

We are paying these idiots to "observe" fires. I don't see any improvement. I've seen a couple spots burn 3 times in 5 years. They don't plant trees, maintain trails and rarely even grade their roads. I think it is time to flush the toilet and start over. There isn't anything left to save at the Forest Service.

Its the forest service, I dont know why you would expect more from them. Get funding to manage and fight fire. Not put it out....

Been a long time since I heard somebody not on payroll say something positive about them

JFK

WKR
Eh…the guys on the ground doing work are good, hardworking and horribly underpaid. The higher ups…not so much

JohnB

WKR
Man, this is exactly the time to let it burn. Lower temperatures, higher relative humidity & shorter days all work together to reduce the burn intensity. Or just put it out and watch it burn 5 years down the line.