Finding lost gear

LostArra

WKR
For those with less experience in misplacing things like a knife, compass, game call or multi tools:

Rather than spend the best part of a weekend searching every pack, pocket, jacket, drawer, toolbox and vehicle for the stupid item while grumbling, cursing and accusing anyone in ear shot of using it, just go ahead and buy another.
Immediately after the purchase the lost item will miraculously appear.

My wife has the crazy idea that if you put stuff back in the same spot it won't get lost.
What does she know?

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same problem. Usually it's my truck keys and phone...gf thinks one day I'll learn.

Shrek

WKR
I'm a clutter bug but I know where everything is. Back when I was married my wife put everything away and I can't tell you how much chit I had to buy repeatedly. I would find it months later in the back of a drawer or cabinet that had nothing related to it in it. We had a few blowups and finally she was banned from even entering my man cave without me there. I put a lock on the door and she didn't get a key.

wekilldeer

Lil-Rokslider
Lost my cell phone once. Fell out of my jacket pocket when I put it in the closet. The phone fell into one of my boots all the way to the toe box. I called my phone probably 100 times and searched every pocket in every piece of clothing in that closet trying to find the ringing phone. It took me 3 days to finally pick up my boot and put it to my ear. Lesson learned, I even look in the most rediculous places now when I lose something!

I've lost (then found) my rangefinder no less than 4 times. I am not sure how or why, but it sure seems to happen often!

I have slight case of OCD, so if you aren't using something it should go back to its place of storage immediately. Everything has a place.

A buddy at work thought he left his Spyderco titanium lock-blade knife and work and someone snagged it. He sent an e-mail out to everyone hoping that someone may have seen it. Searched his house high and low as well. A few months passed and he begged his wife to get another one for a Christmas gift as that one had been last years gift. I know didn't even make it a year!! ;) So she relents and he gets a darn expensive knife again for Christmas. I told my pal you watch, about a week after you get this for Christmas, your other knife is going to turn up.

A week after Christmas he comes into work with 2 Spyderco titanium knives!! Worked out pretty well for me, he had the lost one engraved once I sharpened it for him and gave it to me as a gift! Go ahead lose your stuff!! :);)

littlebuf

Banned
hmm.. for some reason i dont have this problem? there is nothing like having a squared away well organized gear room. i just put all new shelving in mine to make even more efficient. i can be ready for a week long back pack hunt in literally a moments notice. love it

Attachments

• gear room 001.jpg
    gear room 001.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 113
  • gear room 003.jpg
    gear room 003.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 116
  • gear room 004.jpg
    gear room 004.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 115

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I loose shit all the time! Ask Luke, Becca, Aron or Sam. Looks like an episode of hoarders in my garage!

dotman

WKR
Your wife and I think alike. Sure wish my wife and kids thought like that. Very frustrating.

X2... I always know where everything is and everything has a place it will be! Now for my wife and daughter well if theirs heads were not attached they would forget where they set them :). Always makes me laugh when my wife asks me where her stuff is, guess who 90% of the time finds what she is looking for, probably why she hasn't figured out a process or her process is just ask me to look.

Trr15

WKR
My hunting gear and my garage are well organized and I know exactly where everything is at. Everything else? Well, that's a different story. Priorities I guess. Drives my wife nuts.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Always makes me laugh when my wife asks me where her stuff is, guess who 90% of the time finds what she is looking for

Just yesterday I heard my wife say......"OK, now where are my keys". I yelled to her........"For whatever reason, they're sitting on my workbench in the garage". Then she or my daughters will ask if I've seen something of theirs, and my reply is usually......."I'm quite sure it's right where you left it". Then they say........"Ya, but I don't know where I left it". Me........"And therein lies your problem. Put stuff in the exact same spot every time........and there it is".

GFY

Lil-Rokslider
I loose more stuff than most people I know. I end up finding most of it when searching for another lost item/items. Not really a fun game but one I am getting better at. I have lost two lica range finders in my years (both were given to me as tips for guiding) one is somewhere in the Bob Marshal and one is somewhere in the Missouri River Breaks. I have spent days looking for the one in the breaks as I have a general idea of where it is, the one in the Bob is gone forever.

I took the wife fishing yesterday and it took 45 minutes to find a fly reel I was looking for, but I found a Scott release that I have been missing all winter!!

I need to get more organized for sure.

chopchop

FNG
I put stuff in the same place all the time. Knew where everything was. Then I had 3 kids. My office turned into the guest room, then a kid's room. My stuff got moved from place to place to place.

I can tell you exactly where it was 10 years ago, but I have no damn idea where it is right now. :)

About 3 months ago got hot while hiking out with a dead pig on my back. When I got back to the 4 wheeler I stripped off some layers to cool down. Had to take my bino case off in the process and managed to leave it on the ground in the dark and didn't realize until I got home. Had to go back out and get it the next day. Fortunately it was right were I left it. Also left my hunting pack in my buddies truck yesterday. And lost a new pocket knife I got as a present. That is just the last few months. I am always forgetting / losing crap. If you find a better way to keep track of stuff please share!

Here's one for you, I'm down in a pretty nasty hole hunting elk, me and a buddy, we had jus seen them from the ridge and ran down trying to get into a position that they might show it gets dark and we head out its 5 miles to the truck about half way I realize I don't have my dad's rangefinder anymore. So I panic. His was a Simmons from Walmart, cheap but works jus as good. I ran back up the mountain to the nearest spot I remember having it an no where to be seen. so here I go 30 miles to the nearest walmart to buy a new one. Next morning I'm out an were in kinda the same hole. And I see a game trail I walk up it an bam 10 feet up by a tree sits the rangefinder. Are you serious hahahhahahahhaha well now I got 2 1 for backup.