Buddy panic'd day 1 on the mountain--left me a new solo hunter

woody6899

FNG
I have hunted with my dad or brother for every big game hunt all my life. This year I converted over to archery so that I would have more opportunities, work and life gets in the way of hunting. I have no friends or family that bow hunts. I figured how hard could it be solo hunting....lol. My brother tagged along the first day but the second day there was nobody available so I set out solo. The area I went is very familiar, I have fished the stream and lake. It’s 2 miles hike to the lake, then I went upstream a few miles and started into new territory for me. I fallowed a trail that headed towards the upper ridge. As soon as I couldn’t see any familiar landmarks, I started breathing harder. I freaked out at every sound around me. It was just getting light so the squirrels where out running around making noise. I stopped to collect myself every 100 yards or so. I was panicking. But I would force myself to keep going another 100 yards then another. Eventually I got to the top to where I had been scoping out on onX. I sat there and ate lunch and relaxed. 6 miles in, 6 miles out. I had done it myself. I was proud of myself. You all are the first people I have told.

Anytime you push yourself out of your comfort zone there is a chance of panic. For your buddy 10 miles back in the wilderness is out of his comfort zone. Mine was solo. Hopefully I pushed past that now and can solo next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I had a hunting partner that would have panic attacks very similar to what you describe. Pretty sure he's medically diagnosed now and takes medication.

Some folks have actual medical mental issues that they cant control. Its not something they make a choice about.

It sounds like you handled the situation well and got your friend what he needed. What both of you needed.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I noticed that panic sets in a lot less if you acclimate to altitude more gradually.

At least you drove separate. Made that mistake last year since partner said he would drive. Should have rented a car and stayed but was too frustrated it didn’t cross my mind until I got home. It was a very quiet 16hr drive home. Went solo this year and worked out much better not babysitting or coming home early.

This is my exact situation at this very moment, should have thought to rent a car. Second time happening to me too, two different people. Think I'll be going solo next year

Mule, obviously you don't know me from Adam, but I'd hunt with you anytime. I started hunting solo, after at least a couple decades, I finally started hunting with others, sometimes. Everyone here is correct, finding good backcountry hunting partners is exceptionally difficult. I have a 12 day solo trip this year, and at least a couple solo weekend trips planned.I don't mind being solo, but nothing beats a good backcountry hunting partner and sharing responsibilities.

jaredgreen

Lil-Rokslider
Curious...would you willingly plan a solo hunt now that circumstances forced you to give it a go?

Broomd

WKR
Great story and attitude, really enjoyed.

As was noted here, 11,500' is serious business. Without acclimation and fitness, that alt could reduce many tough guys to quivering wimps.

SoCalHunter

Lil-Rokslider
This is my exact situation at this very moment, should have thought to rent a car. Second time happening to me too, two different people. Think I'll be going solo next year

Damn shame. If you ever need a reliable partner, send me a PM. My son and I are hunting partners but our schedules do not always match.

In defense of the fellow, we have all been there and gotten in over our heads one way or another; or didn’t live up to our goals and desires.
I have a whole list of screwups to offset every success.

All kinds of stuff happens in the woods for all kinds of reasons. I can't hunt with my dad anymore, but I did give up hunting with him and his group years ago. The last hunt was weird. One of the guys was "hunting gooks" one night. Not much fun. there where 2 other Vietnam vets in camp that night. They were not to impressed either. I went solo after that trip and have not looked back. Good luck on your futre hunts.

OP
Mule

Mule

FNG
What I haven't acknowledged anywhere on this thread yet was the fact that, while I am seasoned in the backcountry through several hunts (both DIY and one guided) and several years of deep (10miles +) backpacking in the summers (all with other people), I was dealing with irrational fears as buddy was getting on the horse. overwhelming fear, uncertainty, and doubtful emotions were definitely flooding through me. Quite honestly the only way to dispose of all that raw emotion was to just cry it out. On the one hand, I feel shame for the cry, because grown men don't cry in this society! But on the other hand, perhaps that is one of the things wrong with this society. IDK. I was fighting that fear pretty hard. I recall the wrangler--a really great and caring guy--asking me a few times, "Are you alright? -- Are you sure??" I can just imagine that while my words were nodding yes, "I'm ok", my face was screaming "no!!! I'm scared to death" I dealt with a lot that night before, just trying to figure out what to do and how to handle things to get buddy into a better place than where he was. In reality, I was helpless, sleepless. He wasn't dying, or in great pain, but he wasn't emotionally right up there. After they rode off, emotions caming flooding out for a good 5 minutes. Man, that cry felt good though after it was done! Can't remember the last time my body urged to do that. It was pretty raw and embarrassing in front of the chipmunks & the bighorn sheep that were grazing just up on the rim...but it was therapeutic! The animals that witnessed my outburst in close proximity never said anything else about it after it was done, either.

That's a loooooong journey that finally answers your question: Yes! I would plan another solo hunt. The thing I was afraid to do before on purpose, now has had it's ice broken. I realized the fact that the same mishaps & misfortunes that can happen WITH a partner, can happen by WITHOUT one. The lead-ins and outcomes will still be the same regardless. The keys (for me) to make the solo thing work are 1) have regular updates for wife via the delorme, 2) always be doing or preparing to do to minimize the impact of "downtime". The "do" here is hunting--when hunting, you're always listening, observing, prospecting, strategizing ---AKA busy! When not hunting--back at camp, I was always busy journaling on the back of my topo, prepping/eating my meal, taking my supplements, drying stuff, fetching/filtering water, or sleeping. Never really had much dead time where nothing was happening. There's no room for FUD thoughts when busy.

I ignored his pride, arrogance, unpreparedness, and ignorance to mentorship for my own selfish desire to hunt partnered rather than alone. I’d have never voluntarily gone solo, except I was thrown into to it.
The funny thing with this is I generally stay away from hunting with others for selfish reasons. Hunting with a partner you have to share duties/responsibilities. Hunting solo I just have to worry about what I want to do and not making some one else's life bearable.

OP
Mule

Mule

FNG
yes -- I appreciate your comment! "Buddy" is still my friend, as I believe I have already said in a previous post. He did get caught up in the romance of the adventure. His break point was different than mine for sure. He definitely did't trust me to help him work through it; also fine. His best recourse was to bail. I think he bailed too soon, but it is what it is. To your point, we ALL HAVE misjudged and gotten in too deep. Me? countless times. Holy Cow -- all the past stupid is flooding my memory now: exploring the sea cave at high tide, a deep wall dive in strong current, wading through hip deep quicksand to get to the ducks, others...

I should add that my "buddy" is still my friend as well. He will never go about 5000' with me again though.

OP
Mule

Mule

FNG
Great story and novice backcountry hunters, like myself, can learn a lot from this one post. The one thing I will second is the psyche and how it is affected under stress and panic. When someone is subjected to an emotional situation, panic can completely alter who that person is and how they react. The worst part about it is that you never can tell the reaction before the situation. Faith, family and backcountry skills are paramount and it sounds like you have all three in spades.

One of the things I do to help self-motivate is write scriptures (meaningful to me, like Jer 29:11, Phil 4:13, Psalms 37:5), as well as SEAL mantras, and other hard-driving quotes onto my bow using a paint marker pen. When I feel challenged or beat up, I can read these back to myself and refuel the mental gas tank...and press on! This practices helped this trip more than any other thus far!

jspradley

WKR
flooding through me. Quite honestly the only way to dispose of all that raw emotion was to just cry it out. On the one hand, I feel shame for the cry, because grown men don't cry in this society! But on the other hand, perhaps that is one of the things wrong with this society.

Well, it takes a damn strong man to own that his reaction was to cry it out and not pretend to be some interwebs tough guy so you have that going for you!

Thanks for sharing everything you have shared here, it's a hell of a story and I admire the hell out of the way you persevered through it!

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
I have a brother inlaw who suffers from attacks like these and it sucks watching it happen to him. He is a very seasoned and competent hunter. We have hunted deer and elk and sheep all over the west for 20 plus years and you never know when or if it well strike him. I have watched him walk a 12 in pipe at a angle running 80 ft in the air to the top of a building dragging a cutting torch hose behind him and never blink an eye and have also watched him get deathly ill after it got dark in the Kiabab after he missed walking back to camp in the dark by 100 yards. It is amazing what your brain will do to you

njdoxie

WKR
Should be agreed to beforehand with any suspect hunting partners....we don’t leave unless we all agree to leave, doesn’t matter if it’s your vehicle we drove, if anyone wants to leave sooner, no problem, but they’re responsible for getting home themselves, it doesn’t become anyone else’s problem to get you home.
I had this problem once many moons ago, never spoke to the person again, I didn’t wish anything bad on him, but I definitely didn’t want to be friends anymore.
I hunt solo now, I like it better that way, I can sleep in or not and hunt any way I please, adds a little more excitement knowing everything rides on me.