"Filtering 2.0" can improve your research

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Roksliders, it's research season so I'm reaching out to Rokslide sponsors to see what they have for 2016 to help you plan your hunts for whatever species or state that you're interested in.

goHunt got back to me and gave me a quick tour of what they call "Filtering 2.0". Basically they've improved goHunt members ability to more easily search their database of 8 Western states (and growing) so you can narrow down faster what you need to know. Retire those 10-page Excel spread sheets that even your printer dreads. Here are the states:

• Arizona 80 Units
  • Colorado 268 Units
  • Idaho 220 Units
  • Montana 385 Units
  • Nevada 124 Units
  • New Mexico 70 Units
  • Utah 173 Units
  • Wyoming 401 Units

I just randomly picked a unit in Arizona that I knew nothing about. In less than 5 minutes, I found things out about the unit like:

"Desert flatlands separated by washes and small, rocky mountain ranges hold a good number of sheep as well as a few mule deer."

and the size potential of the unit:
General SizeTrophy Potential was from 150 to 170+ (I like that + sign)
And the season dates on the unit, the number of tags, the different weapon types and recommended areas to start hunting or scouting and even color photos of various parts of the unit. There was even weather data and a few other items.

goHunt is also working to add draw odds to Filtering 2.0, so stay tuned.

With the 5 minutes I just spent, I saved an hour of scouring the internet, bugging a bunch of people, and hoping someone nice answers my PMs. I'll still do all those things, but at least I know if this unit is worth investing my research time.

This service is part of goHunt's paid "Insider". They also have a free portion of their site that is quite helpful too, so be sure and at least check that out

http://www.gohunt.com/

Last edited:

weaver

WKR
Have been using it quite a bit lately. Their unit profiles are pretty accurate on units I have hunted in the past.
Looking forward to their new draw odds feature.

krohboy

WKR
I've been back and forth about subscribing and I think I'm gonna go for it. Gettin those draw odds up would be my real big push thoigh

I know this is an old thread, but I just want to say that GoHunt has really come full circle since it was started. There Insider tools and mapping has definitely upped my game and my ability to draw tags and make decisions on what units I want to hunt. Definitely worth every penny in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
GoHunt.com when a seven year dead thread about them listing unit numbers and making it easier to find honey holes gets bumped
7re07y.jpg

There’s no Units listed or honey holes, not sure what you’re talking about. And the post was started by Robbie in the first place. I didn’t know it was taboo to give my opinion on my experience with a service I’ve used. Sorry, not sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
It wasn't a post against you or even Robbie.
It was a joke about how years ago the boss of this site thought that sharing unit specific trophy info was great, but the world has changed and now even old threads with that info get locked.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
It wasn't a post against you or even Robbie.
It was a joke about how years ago the boss of this site thought that sharing unit specific trophy info was great, but the world has changed and now even old threads with that info get locked.
Yes times have changed, but this one really didn’t fall in the unit-posting because you still had to pay the GoHunt membership to get that filtering option. That’s why there was no units posted in this thread. All good and I definitely get the joke.

And while got your ear, what do you think of our attempt to minimize the endless threads of unit numbers? I’m trying to get a feel for what people think.

Sometimes it feels like we’re peeing in the wind. We’ve had so many complaints we need to try.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
And while got your ear, what do you think of our attempt to minimize the endless threads of unit numbers? I’m trying to get a feel for what people think.
john-travolta-opinion.gif

Can't say I have any ideas or thoughts that weren't already posted in the 10 page thread in the elk forum.
The front page of elk was ugly for a bit with all the locked threads, but that seems to have calmed down.

Sometimes it feels like we’re peeing in the wind. We’ve had so many complaints we need to try.
Probably right on both counts. Like Rokslide is a section of beach on a lake of piss that finally put up a "No Pissing" sign, but Youtube Beach is right next door with waterslides that empty piss into the lake and piss-powered bumper boats. But somebody needs to be the first to stop pissing into the lake, even if it will take a generation to see any result.

I'm glad I live in a state that has the entire Rocky Mountain region between me and 2/3s of the country. And the elk hunting is acceptable but not yet worth driving past the Rocky Mountains for.
Hopefully when the rest of the country finally does push further they see the California OTC thread first 😁