Filtered Water?

Is it normal for filtered water (MSR Miniworks) to burn your throat?
the last 3 or 4 times I have filtered water in the high country it has an unpleasant burning sensation when I drink it. I have drank quite a bit and never gotten sick from it but I dont remember it doing that the first year I backpacked.
One time I melted snow with my stove, filtered it, then drank it. One time I filtered directly out of a stream coming straight from a snowbank, then drank it. Then this last time I collected water dripping off snow drifts early in the spring, into containers which I stashed, and returned to last weekend, poured water through cofee filter into pot, filtered into nalgene and drank. Same result every time. Is this normal?
Even with flavoring, tastes ok in mouth, burns going down throat!
Any suggestions?

Benny

FNG
I think you're putting too much stress on the water...making it tired (and maybe a little mad).

Hardstalk

WKR
Was any of the boiled water hot when you filtered it? May have damaged something internal if so. Or maybe your dehydrating before drinking. I know my throat is the first to dry up. Then then my mouth.

It should not burn. Do you know if you might be allergic to the carbon/ceramic element? I'd take it a part and clean the filter and perhaps serialize it as part of the maintenance. MSR has a maintenance YouTube clip on how to do it and if you have done that and it still gives you the same results that is not good. I don't have that same filter with a carbon/ceramic element but the one I have is a Katadyn hiker with a similar element. No burn for me on my end.

[video=youtube;WxvAF_dh6-s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxvAF_dh6-s&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

Last edited:

2rocky

WKR
I've experienced something similar that I attributed to residual chlorine bleach from washing and not completely rinsing my water bottle or reservoir.