Fillet knife?

Perrin713

FNG
Looking to purchase a quality fillet knife U.S.A. made preferred. Something that I can pass down to my boys when the time comes.

Its Canadian, Northern Arm makes a nice one. Either 6" or 9" made in magnacut. I have the 6" its pretty sweet
White River Knife and Tool makes a step-up filet knife in S35v. Haven't used the filet but do have some of their other knives and love them.

Last edited:

intunegp

WKR
Its Canadian, Northern Arm makes a nice one. Either 6" or 9" made in magnacut. I have the 6" its pretty sweet
White River Knife and Tool makes a step-up filet knife in S35v. Haven't used the filet but do have some of their other knives and love them.

Second vote for North Arm 6" Kermode in Magnacut. I opted for the carbon fiber handle and both the knife and sheath are a thing of beauty. Haven't cut up any fish with it yet but I purchased it mainly as an elk/deer processing knife and it is exceptional at that. It is plenty flexible and I have no doubt it will be a dream for fish processing as well. Magnacut is one of the most corrosion resistant steels available so longevity is not a concern.

Dented

WKR
I've got the Northarm filet in 6 and 9 inch and the small game knife. I've used all 3 extensively on fish, deer and pigs. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I should lose one of them. They hold an edge and the flex in the fillet knives is unreal. I went with orange scales on each one, visibility was a primary concern. I wish they made the filet pattern in a 4 inch blade for panfish.

Looking to purchase a quality fillet knife U.S.A. made preferred. Something that I can pass down to my boys when the time comes.
The dalstrong shogun series is a beautiful knife and my favorite blade steel of ANY knife I have owned (I also have their paring knife that’s my main hunting knife, because the blade steel is amazing) I don’t know where they are made, but they have excellent blade steel and are seriously pretty knives that function well.

When I was a kid, before I was old enough to work on the boats, I filleted fish for a job, and the knives of choice were always dexter and frosts, but they are more soul-less tools, not something you would pass down, but do function well

Trr15

WKR
Just picked up a White River 6” fillet knife a couple weeks ago. I’ve only used it once so far but it’s a quality tool. Worth checking out.

JFK

WKR
The dalstrong shogun series is a beautiful knife and my favorite blade steel of ANY knife I have owned (I also have their paring knife that’s my main hunting knife, because the blade steel is amazing) I don’t know where they are made, but they have excellent blade steel and are seriously pretty knives that function well.

When I was a kid, before I was old enough to work on the boats, I filleted fish for a job, and the knives of choice were always dexter and frosts, but they are more soul-less tools, not something you would pass down, but do function well

The dexters are the best fillet knives I’ve used. The new stainless ones are decent but the old school wood handle ones with the carbon steel blade are the best. Have bought several nicer knives and nothing comes close to the old dexters.

Joebe

FNG
I use the Dexter's also. Gotta admit though they are not something I would hand down to my kids. Now I use mine in saltwater. I take care of them but they last about 2 to 3 years. Between sharpening and life on the boat they get used up.