Figuring out how to enjoy life

You can also have that heart attack at 38 and leave little to support your wife and family when your gone.

Finding the balance between saving and playing is key.
That’s called Life Insurance and that’s what it’s used for. Get yourself some if you have people that rely on you financially.

I could have 1 dollar in my savings account when i die and my family would still be all set financially.

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
I gave up a steady gov't job, with all the frustration and insanity that goes with it, for less wages, more freedom and hunting every year. I chose less to get more. Many of you will have made infinitly more money than I can imagine.

On my meager wages I raised two kids, paid off a ranch, and hunted most of every elk season for 50 years. No regrets!
Wat are meager wages. And wat job did u go to?

Don’t get caught up in climbing the corporate ladder.

That’s where i messed up. I wanted to advance. More money, more power.

That was stupid. I work too much and have lost free time to do the things I love. I’m seriously considering stepping down and going back to working in the trenches. I’ll take a pay cut. But if I go by the hours that I work, it’s probably not a pay cut at all.

j_volt

WKR
Don’t get caught up in climbing the corporate ladder.

That’s where i messed up. I wanted to advance. More money, more power.

That was stupid. I work too much and have lost free time to do the things I love. I’m seriously considering stepping down and going back to working in the trenches. I’ll take a pay cut. But if I go by the hours that I work, it’s probably not a pay cut at all.
Climbing the corporate ladder and work/life balance do not have to be mutually exclusive. Just don't work for shitty companies. I work hard, but never miss a thing with my family and hunt more than most.

Climbing the corporate ladder and work/life balance do not have to be mutually exclusive. Just don't work for shitty companies. I work hard, but never miss a thing with my family and hunt more than most.
Just know that is atypical and you’re fortunate to be where you are.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was posted awhile ago by one Ryan Avery in the old guy section of Rokslide.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Randy

Wat are meager wages. And wat job did u go to?
I traded $37,000 for $29,000. I was a GS 12 with the US Bureau of Mines. I became the extension agent for mining in Montana under the University providing assisstance to state and federal agencies and the industry as well as the public and students. My expertice ranged from the environment, mineral exploration/prospecting, to mine design and economics. A tremendous challenge to find middle ground in an environment of all or nothing.

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
I traded $37,000 for $29,000. I was a GS 12 with the US Bureau of Mines. I became the extension agent for mining in Montana under the University providing assisstance to state and federal agencies and the industry as well as the public and students. My expertice ranged from the environment, mineral exploration/prospecting, to mine design and economics. A tremendous challenge to find middle ground in an environment of all or nothing.
Wow that is meager😳

That’s the plan. Bought my first house about two weeks ago (way too much $), but no one knows what the market is going to do and we are tired of renting. My wife and I live on one income and save the second (and max out of each to an IRA). Plan to hopefully build up a stable of rental properties over the next few years. Both nurses so that affords us a decent amount of financial flexibility. Cars are payed for, boat is payed for, still looking for an SUV to pay cash for. We will see…

Use "other people's money" to buy your money generating assets. Let the tenets make your loan payments...

CorbLand

WKR
That’s called Life Insurance and that’s what it’s used for. Get yourself some if you have people that rely on you financially.

I could have 1 dollar in my savings account when i die and my family would still be all set financially.
That would fall under the savings in the first part of the last sentence. There’s a lot of people that use the “you may die young so play now” justification to not have those things. Make sure that as your playing, your preparing for the future.

Jmort1754

WKR
After my back injury and subequent surgeries last year I decided that I was going to live me life to the fullest. Having someone tell you that the chances you walk again are low, you learn enjoy what you have.

Rich M

WKR
I feel there is a balance and we need to live within our means. We all have diff circumstances.

Ive lived thru paying for a significant medical expense and losing a company. Wouldnt wish either on anyone.

right now juggling work, helping widowed father, my own house and family. Hunting isnt a huge priority these days, but manage a week or two each year. Fish when able and hunt ducks few times each year w the old man.

Give me a day off and more likely to sleep in and work on some incomplete project as get up early to hit the woods or water.

Life is what you make it. Aim for the exit and all usually works out. No regrets.

Grumman

WKR
Time with family when you are young is also a big factor. Wish I could get back the time I spent away physically and mentally from my kids childhoods while I was climbing the corporate ladder. I don’t think you can put a price on that but it’s not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
This was posted awhile ago by one Ryan Avery in the old guy section of Rokslide.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Randy

Huh. Guess me n Randy kinda have the same mindset. When the Dr asks if I remember hurting my neck and I answer. Yeah I was with my daughter on the side of a mountain. Showing her one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen and where her great grandparents homesteaded in 1952. A river stacked with 50 pound kings.
The ladder falling while I was building a meat pole. Standing on the very top with a chainsaw and the gosh darn ladder tips over. Imagine that.
Sliding down the side of a mountain so steep that you can't stop on a overloaded wheeler.
Heading out to a remote hunt with my beautiful wife and getting a late start in the rain. And flying around in a 185 trying to fly around squals because I have the wrong coordinates to a lake. Pilot lands n says he won't fly around looking for the correct little land anymore. Pick a spot. I give him a direction n yahoo find the lake. Get dropped off. It's starting to get dark. We have to get 2 miles north to the cabin across muskkeg n miniature willows. Get to the woods part, it's pitch black rain 45 degrees. I get hypothermic wife wakes me up we finally find cabin just before midnight.
The worst. After 40 some years of hanging out in Alaska bush sometimes you need to have a "you'll have that " moment. And when you're with your beautiful wife n something breaks. And having to look her in the eye n say, baby you're going to have to stay here while I go. Were miles from anywhere and she has foot issues n can't walk much. I'll be back. This is real ak bush, no phones nothing. And I have to make it happen. Probably near a half dozen times now and she still goes with me. Tough ak chick she is.
Crossing creeks. Swamping canoes. Going out on the ocean for 3-4 days at a time to make a meat run of salmon, halibut n such. Cruising around looking at glaciers n were the only ones around. Or running a little 14' river boat up remote little rivers n creeks salmon fishing amongst the bears, days at a time. And break downs. Got to be a forest fire fighter when I got here n spent the whole summer hanging out in the bush somewhere. Toured the state. Got to hang with biologists.
Hey, now we have a little log cabin in the middle of nowhere. To hang with family and friends.
I don't know Randy but he sounds OK. Maybe he'd like to come check it out sometime.
Somehow in life, It happened that our 2 kids n their families are our next door neighbors. We all hang out together.
We don't have much money. But my beautiful wife lets me by a beer or jug of whiskey. Or tractor, snogos, wheelers, boats n such. Just the basics. We're building our retirement home so that's a big project when you do it yourself.
We have moose in our yard daily now. But soon the cows will be heading out to find some privacy. We have a calf that won't leave our hay shed alone. Forced the doors apart last night and has charged a few times. Kinda ornery but hopefully it will move along. We just found a dead calf right next to our driveway. You'll have that.
Hey like my mom said. Don't have much money but am the richest person on earth.
I'm finally going to be able to get in n get my neck fused. Covid had things tied up so I told dr to prioritize need. And I still wanted to go moose hunting so surgery had to wait to. You'll have that. Well in a few weeks they will go in from the back n stabilize things. I already have a plate on the front of 3 of them. But somehow 5-6-7 still kinda broke apart.
Hey, I'll get to go out n look for moose antlers with our chessy. She is trained to find them. Nothing like watching a good dog hunt. Drive a 79 El Camino. 76 F-250 with a big engine.
Gotta get going, need to get some chocolate milk for our grandson. Just like I did for his mama n uncle. Every morning. Sooooo blessed.
I don't have a clue about how much money we have. Don't wear a watch or carry a phone. I just had a discussion with my beautiful wife asking her the year. Don't care, live for tomorrow. I can tell you when the sun rises n salmon will run again though.
Hey just me n how I get to live. Didn't just happen. A lifetime of wanting to just get out n explore the wild n everything in it. So maybe it depends on how you are just wired n were certainly all different. Just right, makes the world go round.
Most blessed man in the world

seww

WKR
Like him or not, but John Lennon said it pretty well: "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans."

Don't wait, life doesn't and we only have one. Money is important of course, but it can be re-earned, time cannot. We've moved three times between the US and Europe before finally settling in Idaho. We had to try it before we knew what we wanted but it didn't come cheap...

Gobbler36

WKR
You are wise beyond your years! This is the right answer! But in order to do this right, first you gotta know how much you should be saving! That’s why planning is important.

(Yes, retirement planning is my profession)
Sweet I need another hunter to help us with this. do you need a new client!?