Figuring out how to enjoy life

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
My beautiful wife taught me a good life lesson. If you wait until you have the time and money to go and do what you want to do in life. You probably won't get there.
Seems to me anyhows that when I'm working extra n have extra bucks, no time. Or time n need the bucks to live on. It's kinda endless.
Hey make the time. And the memories. Only got one chance man.

*zap*

WKR
Way to many folks chase the almighty dollar way to hard. Got a buddy that is a bit overweight. He almost died from covid at the beginning. I have tried to get him to just walk but he needs to work and make $....meanwhile he has between 1.5-2 mil in assets. Won't join t a gym or buy healthier foods because he cannot afford it.
Now he has covid again and is very worried...

That basic same scenario will repeat millions of times especially if they are older. No fitness or physical ability but lots of $ and material things...

May not be the exact same thing your talking about but it is so illogical to me....part of it is that so many folks are not willing to suffer even the slightest...except if they will get $.

Anyway, I would suggest working to need less instead of gather $ to buy more..

rant over.

KenLee

WKR
Way to many folks chase the almighty dollar way to hard. Got a buddy that is a bit overweight. He almost died from covid at the beginning. I have tried to get him to just walk but he needs to work and make $....meanwhile he has between 1.5-2 mil in assets. Won't join t a gym or buy healthier foods because he cannot afford it.
Now he has covid again and is very worried...

That basic same scenario will repeat millions of times especially if they are older. No fitness or physical ability but lots of $ and material things...

May not be the exact same thing your talking about but it is so illogical to me....part of it is that so many folks are not willing to suffer even the slightest...except if they will get $.

Anyway, I would suggest working to need less instead of gather $ to buy more..

rant over.
His heirs will waste no time enjoying his assets

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I agree.

I could work more and have more.

But I already have far more than I need, and do far more fun stuff than the average person.
^^^ this right here. I have a house almost paid off, cars paid off, boat, snowmobile, giant work shop, property already paid off and money in the bank. My wife has been pushing me to go hunt more and take more trips since were doing well.

Sometimes it feel strange not filling my extra time with work while other folks I know are always hustling for a few more bucks.

SDHNTR

WKR
Devils Advocate checking in here…. There are presently thousands of Boomers retiring each day with insufficient savings and leaning on inadequate Social Security. This is a massive problem and a burgeoning systemic economic burden, only getting worse. Most people don’t save enough.

Get a comprehensive financial plan done. Know exactly how much you need to save annually to enjoy retirement the way you want. Once you have met your savings goals each year, then you can spend any excess. But not until then! Save first! Then play.

There are far more Americans wishing they had saved more during their earning years than there are those who wish they had spent more!

Last edited:
^^^ this right here. I have a house almost paid off, cars paid off, boat, snowmobile, giant work shop, property already paid off and money in the bank. My wife has been pushing me to go hunt more and take more trips since were doing well.

Sometimes it feel strange not filling my extra time with work while other folks I know are always hustling for a few more bucks.
My shop is insulated, heated and cooled. It's a great place to hang out.

It definitely helps that I have a few local friends with the same mindset.

I wanna do something fun or interesting instead of working more? They're probably down to do it with me.

Lytro

WKR
Devils Advocate checking in here…. There are presently thousands of Boomers retiring each day with insufficient savings and leaning on inadequate social security. This is a massive problem and a burgeoning systemic economic burden, only getting worse. Most people don’t save enough.

Get a comprehensive financial plan done. Know exactly how much you need to save annually to enjoy retirement the way you want. Once you have met your savings goals each year, then you can spend any excess. But not until then! Save first! Then play.

There are far more Americans wishing they had saved more during their earning years than there are those who wish they had spent more!
I somewhat have the opposite mindset. I'd rather enjoy my more physically capable years, and be more frugal in my 60+ years. I'd much rather go on that out of state hunt or have my walleye boat now, than have a bigger bank account later and wish I did the stuff I dreamt of doing in my more youthful years.

With that being said, I have zero credit card debt and will start collecting a pension at the age of 42. That definitely factors into my way of thinking.

SDHNTR

WKR
I somewhat have the opposite mindset. I'd rather enjoy my more physically capable years, and be more frugal in my 60+ years. I'd much rather go on that out of state hunt or have my walleye boat now, than have a bigger bank account later and wish I did the stuff I dreamt of doing in my more youthful years.

With that being said, I have zero credit card debt and will start collecting a pension at the age of 42. That definitely factors into my way of thinking.
You are quite fortunate. An adequate pension changes everything. Most retirees no longer have that luxury, and the onus was/is on them alone to save sufficiently. Hence, the exact societal problem we are facing now. 30-40 yrs later, we have now arrived at the future results of defined benefit pensions having been replaced with defined contribution 401(k)s. It hasn’t worked out so well for those that failed to realize they were responsible for securing their own future.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I've told my wife many times that I'm glad we did all that travelling when we were young.
As I've gotten older I just dont have the same wanderlust.
And, as I see retirement at the end of the tunnel, my adventures are becoming more localized.

SDHNTR

WKR
Do both. Don’t spend all your Life waiting to enjoy retirement. Don’t screw over your retirement enjoying your youth.

Sincerely,
A 25yo with no idea what he’s talking about
You are wise beyond your years! This is the right answer! But in order to do this right, first you gotta know how much you should be saving! That’s why planning is important.

(Yes, retirement planning is my profession)

MattB

WKR
Do both. Don’t spend all your Life waiting to enjoy retirement. Don’t screw over your retirement enjoying your youth.

Sincerely,
A 25yo with no idea what he’s talking about
Sage wisdom. Striking a balance is key. I know three people who worked hard their entire lives to be able to enjoy retirement only to suffer a debilitating illness (2) or death within ~1 year of their retirement.

But you also have to save enough to be able to fund your lifestyle if you don’t.