Field Shooting- Upping My Accuracy

roymunson

WKR
I have a trip to Alaska for moose in a couple of weeks and wanted some real world experience.

Shooting prone or off of a bag with a second point of contact, I'm around the 1 MOA mark and am very pleased with this.

However, the area we're hunting is a low lying swampland and the odds of getting to a place where i can lay down to shoot are low.

Thus the plan is to either be standing or sitting and using some combination of a scrub tree, a set of shooting sticks, and my upright pack.

I understand a moose is a big animal, but I wanna make sure I make it count. What are some tips to shooting more accurately while standing or seated?

at 200 yards my seated and standing shots open up significantly. I've tried youtube and some of those places but it's all people saying how steady they can get with sticks and seated. I haven't been that good yet.

I'm good enough to kill them, I just wanna get better.

atmat

WKR
Have you reviewed the below thread?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Troll the tripod shooting posts, lots of usable information.

One good source is Modern Day Sniper on YouTube. They are practical and focus on hunting. Their paid for series are very good if you were interested.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
The beauty of shooting prone is the ability to anchor your rifle forend off a bag or bipod, and the rear of the rifle on a bag or just supporting your elbows on the ground while you are gripping the rifle. The better you can replicate this front and rear support in field shooting positions, the more accurate you are going to be.

Back 20 or so years ago before many of the options we have today, I used a set of "polecat" shooting sticks (these https://www.primos.com/shooting-sticks/pole-cat/) from seated or standing. From the seated position, I used the sticks on the forend, and braced my elbows on my knees. I was able to make hits on game comfortably past 400 yards from this position. Today, I would go for a triple pull ckyepod instead of the polecat. The ckyepod is not super light, but is worth the weight in my opinion.

As already mentioned, a tripod is a great option for sitting, kneeling or standing, but even a lighter weight tripod is a relatively heavy piece of additional equipment. I have made hits out to 550 meters from standing off a tripod, and always carry one if I can accommodate the weight.

Learn to take up the empty space between you and the gun with your pack and that will help quite a bit, regardless of your shooting position.

TaperPin

WKR
It’s hard to believe, but standing on two legs is also a worthwhile shooting position that should be practiced. I want to fall down laughing when a young family member talks about their good shooting, but when asked to take an offhand shot the barrel is waving around as if they are shooting a house fly, and the excuse is, “this stock isn’t designed for offhand.” At the very least everyone should know their limits for different positions. For some, an offhand shot will have to be at bayonet range to have any hope of success. 🙂