FFP Scope choice for 7PRC Elk Rifle?

inkedspot

FNG
I have used the NF 2.5-20 NX on two lightweight hunting rifles. They are not the lightest but aren’t too heavy either. 29oz

I’ve used MK 5HD scopes, Kahles, S&Bs and still use TT5-25 on two other rifles. The NX8 is good enough glass to take accurate shots out to 1000+.

jjjones7

FNG
To the O.P. What scope are you coming from now? You may be able to get a significant upgrade without spending 2500+.
I’ve shot a lot of scopes. A lot of really good scopes, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are a great hunting scope for my application.
I’m not a fan of the 34,35,37mm tubes for a lightweight hunting rifle. Most of these type of scopes are heavy and mounted higher than I like. On a lightweight gun they feel like a buoy in a windy bay to me.
I’m running the Bushnell elite LRHS2’s from GA precision on all of my LR rifles. I’ve hunted hard with them dialed them repeatedly and have never had one fail to function properly. They are great at holding a zero. Some people don’t care for it but I enjoy the donut for low power timber shots. It’s not illuminated because with the reticle design it doesn’t need to be. 30mm tube with a 44mm objective lets me mount them where I want. The ED glass in them will surprise the heck out of you also. I’m not saying it’s ZCO or S&B glass. It’s not amazing but it is very good. The depth of field is really good and the parallax is not finicky. Most of the 8x type scopes I cannot say that about.
If you’re looking NF I’ll jump on the ATACR 4-16 bandwagon. Mounted low with the APA rings they’re very good. Significantly better than the NX8 2.5-20 in every aspect. The reticle does get a bit faint for me at low power but is illuminated.
I get not everybody hunts the same but reticle visibility on low power is a consideration I put a decent amount of weight in because of the area and how I hunt. At the end of the day everyone else’s opinions are just that. I get a decent amount of grief for my Bushnell elites from some people and that’s fine by me. They do not have to use them. They’ve never left me anything but satisfied.

To the O.P. What scope are you coming from now? You may be able to get a significant upgrade without spending 2500+.
I’ve shot a lot of scopes. A lot of really good scopes, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are a great hunting scope for my application.
I’m not a fan of the 34,35,37mm tubes for a lightweight hunting rifle. Most of these type of scopes are heavy and mounted higher than I like. On a lightweight gun they feel like a buoy in a windy bay to me.
I’m running the Bushnell elite LRHS2’s from GA precision on all of my LR rifles. I’ve hunted hard with them dialed them repeatedly and have never had one fail to function properly. They are great at holding a zero. Some people don’t care for it but I enjoy the donut for low power timber shots. It’s not illuminated because with the reticle design it doesn’t need to be. 30mm tube with a 44mm objective lets me mount them where I want. The ED glass in them will surprise the heck out of you also. I’m not saying it’s ZCO or S&B glass. It’s not amazing but it is very good. The depth of field is really good and the parallax is not finicky. Most of the 8x type scopes I cannot say that about.
If you’re looking NF I’ll jump on the ATACR 4-16 bandwagon. Mounted low with the APA rings they’re very good. Significantly better than the NX8 2.5-20 in every aspect. The reticle does get a bit faint for me at low power but is illuminated.
I get not everybody hunts the same but reticle visibility on low power is a consideration I put a decent amount of weight in because of the area and how I hunt. At the end of the day everyone else’s opinions are just that. I get a decent amount of grief for my Bushnell elites from some people and that’s fine by me. They do not have to use them. They’ve never left me anything but satisfied
Agree with this. The LRHS/LRTS line is a great option for LR hunting rifles. My first of 6 in this line replaced a $3k March 3-24x52 and imo is a better hunting optic.

OP
L

Ludo

FNG
Agree with this. The LRHS/LRTS line is a great option for LR hunting rifles. My first of 6 in this line replaced a $3k March 3-24x52 and imo is a better hunting optic.
Alrighty then.. I’ll have to give these a look. Thanks for the info!

I’ve been on the SFP scope train for my entire life, but recently I attended a 3 day “Long Range Rifle” course, and now I’m all-in on the FFP’s. With that said, I now need one for my 7PRC which will be primarily used on Colorado Elk. My Rifle is still being built, but it will weigh somewhere close to 6.5lbs, so I’m not “too” concerned about adding a 2lb FFP scope. Just trying to keep it under 9lbs total.

Anyway, I’m trying to go high end with this scope choice (buy once cry once).
My finalists are (in order):
Kahles K318i
ZCO ZC420
Zeiss S5 LRP (although these turrets are tall)

Also considering:
March 3-24x52 (heard about eyebox issues)
Nightforce NX8 F1 2.5-20x50

For you more experienced folks, any input on these scopes? First hand experience would be great.
I run a March FX 4.5-28 on a LA with integral mounts and it just barely works. With a picatiny rail and high rings it'll work on about any long action as well.

Eurooptic.com has a Killer deal on the illuminated model right now.
In case you're wondering they absolutely smoke anything I've used from NF, and the eye box isn't tight like the other models.
https://www.eurooptic.com/March-FX-...e-01MIL-Illuminated-Riflescope-D28HV52WF.aspx

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been on the SFP scope train for my entire life, but recently I attended a 3 day “Long Range Rifle” course, and now I’m all-in on the FFP’s. With that said, I now need one for my 7PRC which will be primarily used on Colorado Elk. My Rifle is still being built, but it will weigh somewhere close to 6.5lbs, so I’m not “too” concerned about adding a 2lb FFP scope. Just trying to keep it under 9lbs total.

Kahles K318i
ZCO ZC420

Also considering:

For you more experienced folks, any input on these scopes? First hand experience would be great.
Give me a ZComp or a Kahles

Dunky

WKR
Classified Approved
not on the list either but the trijicon tenmile hx 3-18 has been solid for me and did well in the testing on here. A bit lighter than the other options around 24 oz

Fuenstock

FNG
I like the nightforce nx8 scopes, but I wasn’t able to bring the scope far enough back for proper eye relief with the 2.5-20 nx8 on my long action 7prc. I went with the 4-32x50 nx8 instead and I can get proper eye relief.
I moved the 2.5-20 to a short action and it works for me there.

HuntnPack

WKR
If your ready for top tier, then I’d recommend
Either TT or ZCO. I recently checked out both for my new build. Both excellent optics.
I opted for the TT 315 M for my application.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Kahles K318i
ZCO ZC420

Also considering:

Consider the Leica PRS also, but very big.

The Z5 is pretty cool, but pretty big for a hunting rig also.

Trijicon worth a look.

Last edited:
OP
L

Ludo

FNG

Kahles K318i
ZCO ZC420

Also considering:

Update: Decided to go with the ZCO420. It definitely lives up to the hype. Probably overkill for me, but I like overkill. Fits on this long action, but barely… thanks for the help, everyone.IMG_1439.jpegIMG_1441.jpegIMG_1446.jpegIMG_1447.jpeg

B23

WKR
I don't see it talked about much but what about the NF ATACR 4-20x50 F1