Favorite Solid Color for Hunting

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Just heard about Helikon Tex adaptive green and I'm curious to try it out.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Greens, usually lighter than olive, and browns, and tans. Not really picky, try to have different colored top and bottom. More brown pants and green tops.

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Greens, usually lighter than olive, and browns, and tans. Not really picky, try to have different colored top and bottom. More brown pants and green tops.
I've seen a lot of people say this. It's weird, I tend to prefer brown/tan tops and green pants...though I mix and match different ones depending on the hunt.

dtrkyman

WKR
OD pants, still like camo on top, though I bet it makes no difference. I agree on the mix and match though.

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes I like to wear red, since I know they won't see it anyway.

Cjidaho

FNG
Very simple topic, but I thought it would be fun. For those of you like me who hunt often in solid colors do you have a favorite solid color you think works better than others? What are your favorite solid colors you gravitate to for hunting? What is your reasoning? Is it the terrain where you hunt, what looks good to your eye, what you think your prey will be least likely to see, etc?

For me:

#1. Coyote Tan/Brown. It works great in so many different environments from deserts to fields to forests and mountains and looks bad ass.
coyote_tan-3.gif

#2. A medium grey / slate grey. Blends in well in a lot of environments, especially ones with rocks or trees. Not too light not too dark. Makes me feel like a ghost.
SG.tif.rendition.SG_1248.jpg

#3. Olive Drab. Depending on who you ask there's a lot of different shades of what people consider Olive Drab. I included images to illustrate what I'm talking about .Mostly I just like the look of it, but honestly I think it blends in really well with any green environments, especially evergreen thickets. Neutral enough that I don't really think you'd get a second look from a deer even if there isn't a lot of green in the terrain.
US_Army_Olive_Drab_MMP-026_grande.jpg

Honestly, between these 3 colors its hard to go wrong.
Medium grey! I love stone glacier

Bdeboer29

FNG
Grey bottoms and OD green or tan color ways on top. I think any natural tones seem to blend in great.

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Does grey stand out to deer? I know they can see shades of blue.
I've never had an issue with it, then again I know people who have killed deer in blue jeans, so hard to tell. Probably depends on the dyes used. I would not think that grey inherently has blue in it, but some paints or dyes may have a blue undertone. It probably depends on the gray.

A lot of this is theoretical, functionally it may not make a difference, or we may be talking about a very small difference that isn't functionally significant.

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
So, just read a really interesting article by a color expert. She was talking in the context of interior design/decoration but I think we can apply what she says to clothing as well. According to her all grey has undertones of either green, blue, or violet. How much you can perceive that undertone has to do with lighting, biological variation in your ability to perceive colors, awareness, etc.

Given the information that most ungulate vision experts stand by that they see blue better than us I would assume a grey with a blue undertone would be more noticeable to them than to a human, but if you aren't moving, they don't smell you, etc it may not matter anyway.