Favorite sheep hunting books

I am about 75% though Alaska Yukon Trophies Won and Lost by G.O. Young and there is a ton of sheep hunting in there. Hunting areas that are now national parks.... very cool read.

As mentioned above, Sheldon's Wilderness of the Upper Yukon is next on my list. Heard it is fantastic.
Great book!

Tanner

WKR
If you enjoy good stories about backpack sheep hunting with a big emphasis on Dall’s, Rampages is incredibly entertaining. I was lucky enough to receive them as a gift and I have probably read each of them 4-5 times front to back.

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
I feel Bradley understates the difficulty of what he has accomplished. He glosses over some of the difficulties he has dealt with. What a lifetime of experiences, and all on Dall sheep!

Horns in the High Country by Andy Russell. Russell’s life and writing is nothing short of amazing. He is a legendary conservationist and it is a shame that his documentary never came to fruition.

TaperPin

WKR
If you ever come across a university photo archive that’s easily searchable, the old photos are a treasure trove of nostalgia.

I had an old old relative that was alive when sheep hunting could be done every year and he lived for the high country. He passed away when I was maybe 20 and it’s a huge regret that I didn’t spend more time listening to stories along with a tape recorder.

With respect to Dall Sheep, the Rampages collection is at the top of my list.

The four volume Great Rams set by Robert Anderson is really enjoyable. Vol. II is tough to find. Vols. III and IV are available on the B&C Club website.

Duncan Gilchrist's Quest for Giant Bighorns and Montana-Land of Giant Rams (Vols. I-III)

Currently enjoying Tom Saad's Kofa Kings

Attachments

• IMG_9958.jpg
    IMG_9958.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 14
I just got off the phone with Lewis Bradley, author of Rampages. Volumes 4 and 5 are wrapping up by spring next year. Exciting stuff.
Lew advised me recently that the next two volumes of Rampages are now planned to be available by Christmas 2024.

kjw

WKR
Rampages by Lew Bradley. Period.

I've read most of the books mentioned above. Rampages is THE Holy Bible of sheep hunting. I heard about this book, and then called Lew and went over to visit him last summer before my first sheep hunt. His wife made some fresh baked chocolate chip cookies and Lew regaled me for hours with stories about sheep hunting. The man has over 40 sheep mounted in his house. His books took over a decade to complete and are over 1,000 pages of information, stories, statistics, etc. No apologies to the previous authors, but Lew's sheep anthology is beyond a PhD in sheep hunting and biology. Very simply, the man is a living legend in the sheep hunting world. If you want to know about sheep hunting, buy his books.
AGREED! Lew is one of one! I went up to help my brother in law on a mtn goat hunt. He lives about 10 minutes from Lew. When we got back to town he took me over there to meet him. We spent over 4 hours listening to him. Could have spent 4 days.