Favorite Hunting Gear and Tips for Beginners

sanikh101

FNG
I wanted to start a discussion about hunting gear and share some tips for beginners looking to get started in this exciting outdoor activity. Whether you're a seasoned hunter or just starting out, I believe we can all learn from each other!

1. Favorite Gear:What are some of your favorite pieces of hunting gear? Do you have a specific brand or product that you swear by?

2. Tips for New Hunters:For those of you who remember your first time out in the field, what advice would you give to someone just starting? Are there any common mistakes you think beginners should avoid?

3. Best Practices:Let’s also talk about best practices when it comes to hunting ethics and safety. What steps do you take to ensure a safe and responsible hunting experience?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences! Let's keep the discussion respectful and helpful for everyone. Happy hunting!

Yoder

WKR
Well, I've learned here on Rokslide that you need a $2k bow, a $500 pack a $600 Jacket, $500 boots, a $2k rifle and spend at least $3k on a scope. Not to mention spotting scopes and binos. That's got to be another $3k. Then finish it off with a brand new $50k Tacoma decked out like it's the apocalypse with a snorkel intake and at least 5 gas cans on the back with a super cool roof rack. So, at the bare minimum, $60k just to get started.

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I've learned here on Rokslide that you need a $2k bow, a $500 pack a $600 Jacket, $500 boots, a $2k rifle and spend at least $3k on a scope. Not to mention spotting scopes and binos. That's got to be another $3k. Then finish it off with a brand new $50k Tacoma decked out like it's the apocalypse with a snorkel intake and at least 5 gas cans on the back with a super cool roof rack. So, at the bare minimum, $60k just to get started.
Bare minimum indeed. Rookie numbers right there.

If I saw someone hunting a spot that only spent the money you described on gear, I would feel obligated to move as to not infringe on the poors.

Naiche

Lil-Rokslider
Victorinox paring knife and worksharp field sharpener. USA made stockman pocket knife. Mini bic lighters. Use your binos way more than your feet. sit pad for glassing. Hold your ball cap brim at the same time as your binos to stabilize. Layer your clothes so you can adjust for temp and activity level. Smartwool socks.

I Am Gunz

Lil-Rokslider
Practice. Always practice. Whether it be bow or gun, get familiar and comfortable with your weapon. Then work on accuracy. No worse feeling than wounding an animal. Also, test your gear before you head into the woods. Make sure everything is in good working condition and you know how to properly use it. Don’t buy a new pair of boots and take them on a trip without breaking them in first. That’s a huge rookie mistake.

cmahoney

WKR
1. My H and H .375 double rifle. I use this for everything because it has the necessary energy for a clean kill.

2. Make sure you wear scent blocker, I’ve had lots of turkeys wind me over the years.

3. When you find a good spot, make sure you share it online, that way someone will repay you when you are in need of a hunting location, mainly out west.

4. Start your post with “Hey Ya’ll”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2531usmc

WKR
Hey Ya’ll!

The most important tip is to have patience and not get discouraged when you don’t see or harvest any animals. Hunting is a life long learning experience and it takes a while to start figuring it all out. Don’t get discouraged

Last edited: